Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... d-after-me

Matt Barkley: RG3 would have been drafted after me

By Marc Sessler
Writer
Published: July 17, 2012 at 03:02 p.m.
Updated: July 17, 2012 at 04:03 p.m.

Matt Barkley reshuffled NFL draft boards nationwide last year when the USC quarterback decided to return for his senior season.

We'll never know where he would have been selected in 2012, but Barkley -- sounding pretty sure of himself -- said Tuesday he "had confidence" he would have been the No. 2 overall draft pick, essentially bumping out Robert Griffin III as the second quarterback taken in April.

"I had confidence that I was going to go high," Barkley said on The Dan Patrick Show. "It wasn't really a question of that, as to why I came back."

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah scouted Barkley at this weekend's Manning Passing Academy and was happily surprised by his improved arm strength. If that was one of the bigger questions surrounding the passer -- along with his height (he's just 6-foot-2, which is on the short side for a quarterback) -- Barkley put some of those concerns to bed.

Much like Andrew Luck at Stanford last year -- and unlike most college students every year -- Barkley will complete his college career with zero anxiety regarding the nation's job market. We'll never know if he would have won over the Washington Redskins as RG3 did. But Barkley is destined to go near the top of the 2013 draft and hangs out there as the college quarterback du jour.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Barkley thinks he would have went No. 2 over RG3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:28 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I doubt it Barkley would not have wowed in the underwear Olympics like RG3. I do love the fact that he is so confident but the more he talks the more he reminds me of audio I heard from Ryan Leaf.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:32 pm 

Agreed, Barkley has arm strength question marks and is very vocal in his opinions, which certainly can rub certain people the wrong way, esp. in comparison to a confident, but very charming RG3.

It would have been interesting had Barkley been in this class. Because then the trade the Redskins pulled off with St. Louis probably doesn't happen. Or at least the price tag would have been a lot lower because the supply would have been more (2 potential franchise QBs after Luck rather than 1), thus making demand lower.

It could have made Minnesota's #3 pick more desirable, because if Washington really liked one player over the other, they would have tried to move up ahead of Cleveland to get the guy of their choosing. St. Louis could have still traded their pick as well, but they would not have been able to get a king's ransom for it.

Maybe the 2012 draft looks like this had Barkley entered:

1. IND - Luck
2. WAS - Griffin
3. CLE - Barkley
4. MIN - Kalil

And then things would have gotten interesting, because now Richardson has the potential to fall because probably STL and TB probably don't want to take him with a Top 6 pick. Do the Jags trade up get to Blackmon? Does Dallas trade up to get CLaiborne? It would have been even crazier potentially with the trades and shuffling. Maybe the Jets move up to get Richardson at around 9 or 10?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

As a Atlanta fan and since we have Duece under center I am all for drafts with strong QB class for the simple fact that when you have numerous QB prospects it pushes better talent down in the draft so as long as we have Matt Ryan I am rooting for atleast 4 to 5 first round QB talents.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

:lol: :beef: Well I guess he'll have no issue with going #2 again next year either.

NO WAY he would have went over RG3. I think he's talking to much for his own good.

Bottom line, 6'2 and arm strength questions don't resolve themselves over 4 months of uber nitpicking. Versus, Logan Thomas, 6'6, runs like a tank and sports a canon. Then, how much upside does Barkley really give you, versus Thomas? Side note, one thing I've learned by reading up on Thomas and peeping his twitter, dude is insanely, but quietly motivated. Says all the right things, very unassuming. I don't see how Barkley goes over him. Gabbert sure did win the metric contest with Newton.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:49 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

widetrak21 wrote:
:lol: :beef: Well I guess he'll have no issue with going #2 again next year either.

NO WAY he would have went over RG3. I think he's talking to much for his own good.

Bottom line, 6'2 and arm strength questions don't resolve themselves over 4 months of uber nitpicking. Versus, Logan Thomas, 6'6, runs like a tank and sports a canon. Then, how much upside does Barkley really give you, versus Thomas? Side note, one thing I've learned by reading up on Thomas and peeping his twitter, dude is insanely, but quietly motivated. Says all the right things, very unassuming. I don't see how Barkley goes over him. Gabbert sure did win the metric contest with Newton.

Logan Thomas is a Beast point blank period I hope he does what he is supposed to and becomes the next big thing at QB. unless the Bucs flame out again and end up giving up on Josh Freeman and have the number one pick. It would suck to play Cam Newton and Logan Thomas twice each year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:17 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
It would suck to play Cam Newton and Logan Thomas twice each year.

:shock: Yeah that would hamper our franchise for the next decade.

LT wants to be great, EPIC'ly great too. Recent twitter feeds, I love that he attacks the notion that VT alwasy fields an all world D, but also has perpetual offensive question marks.

Quote:
To my brothers on offense. I'm tired off seeing nicknames about our defense and special teams... It's time to make a statement gentlemen.

Quote:
LT y'all with me or not Idc but it's time for us to earn some respect! No settle for second and 0 days off

Quote:
It's no disrespect to anyone else but it's just time we make a statement

Quote:
yea it's gonna be on us bc they gonna say we kno what the d is gonna bring but how is the offense gonna fair
this was talking to a D teammate

Its impressive to be this driven in college. Seems like a very, very natural leader too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:46 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Manchild...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI5iIvjp ... re=related

Shows you how important DJ Coles will be this year...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUZ-fmBF ... r_embedded

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

LT will be a monster this year, but at the same time he will have to do more to put VT in the hunt. USC has two amazing WRs and Barkley's O line will more than likely be better. This will be a good year for College football. In the end LT will blow scouts away at the combine and Barkley will turn scouts off with his interviews I can only imagine the reports coming from "unamed scouts" about how Barkley will bomb interviews. Cant wait.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://video.theacc.com/1748489577001/V ... /?tw_p=twt