It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jadeveon Clowney as a TE?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:02 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

After the monstrous hit on the Michigan RB that every sports highlight show that aired today thanked the Football Gods for, it got me thinking about Clowney in 2014.

He's definitely going to enter next year as the highest-rated player on every draftnik's board. With Logan Thomas needing a great senior year (like approaching RG3 great) to get his name back mentioned, Clowney just needs to maintain the status quo (13 sacks) or slightly less than, and he'll be the favorite for the No. 1 pick in 2014.

But I was thinking about this...Clowney is so athletic, that if the team that drafts him only uses him as a part-time player (like SEA/SF have done with Bruce Irvin/Aldon Smith as rookies), wouldn't you also work him as a part-time player on offense at TE in redzone/goalline situations. Clowney is 6-6/260, a sick athlete as everyone in the Northern Hemisphere is now aware of, just the fact that he's basically Jimmy Graham+Tony Gonzalez in his prime that he would be an extremely valuable asset.

Part of why I was thinking this is because we haven't seen many two-way players in the NFL in a while. Deion did it, and Champ Bailey I think for a bit, and maybe even once or twice with D Hall here, but now no CBs also double as WRs, which was common in the 90s. But it got me thinking about other positions that could cross-over, and naturally TE and DE sprang to mind. Like a DE with like Jason Pierre-Paul type skills could probably be an excellent TE in limited situations. You wouldn't want him to have to know the entire offensive playbook, just a few select plays that you could run where he can create some matchup problems, or free up other guys to make plays.

It would just be a gimmick for a year or two (or as long as it worked), just to take advantage of that peak athleticism you can find in someone who is 21-25 years old. But it'd be a sick gimmick, like Warren Sapp or Mike Vrabel...on steroids.

Am I crazy for thinking this?...

Profile E-mail