PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:04 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

DAVID POLLACK

6-2/260
GEORGIA
1st rd. prospect

NFL Draft Countdown wrote:
Production is unparalleled...Tough and fiesty...Has a motor that never stops and is always giving 110%...One of the most feared pass rushers in the draft...Tough and strong...Very quick and agile...A playmaker with great instincts...Won't be outworked...Great character.

We all of course know about Pollack. Most UGA fans think he's the second coming. Most UGA haters think he's overrated. I as a 3rd party, agree more along the lines of the UGA fans. I think you can teach his kind of ability. What ultimately may hurt his draft stock is the Combines. Measurements are putting him somewhere between 6-1 and 6-3, and somewhere in the 260-270 range. If he runs a good 40, then it will help, but most people look at him as a guy that potentially won't work out well. Dwight Freeney was a player that didn't measure well, but left it all out on the field. I think Pollack is that type of guy. I really hope he falls to us at #27, and in fact, if the Jags pass on him at #21, I think the Falcons should definitely try to trade up the 5 or so spots to get him at #22 or #23.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: pollack
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:17 pm 
Like you, I would love to see Pollack available at 27 - and I am not a UGA fan.

Having said that, I wouldn't expect to see him there. And, given the scenario you describe, how much would you be willing to give up to move up 5-6 spots?

More to follow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:19 am 

I'd be willing to part with our 3rd round pick. According to one trade value chart, it would take approximately an early 4th round pick for the Falcons to move up 5 spots. Well we hold a late 3rd, and I think that would suffice for a team such as the Ravens (#22) or Seahawks (#23).

I think considering Pollack's ability. I definitely see in him Top 10 talent, it would be a trade well worth it. Considering that if we didn't, we'd likely have to choose between Matt Roth, Dan Cody, or Justin Tuck, all of whom see to be only borderline 1st round talents.

Although that third round pick is very valuable, I think if you have a chance to get a player that is a Top 10 talent that late in the first round, you make the move. Pollack is in the same vein as Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney, Terrell Suggs, and potentially Will Smith in terms of top DEs that have come out in recent years. A 1st and a 3rd IMO is not too high a price for players that have the impact like they do.

Pollack measured in at 6-2/265, and here's hoping he runs a terrible 40, so that his stock starts to drop.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:09 pm 

Jags got their man in Reggie Hayward, making it less possible that Pollack will be taken by them in Round 1.

It doesn't totally rule out the Jags still taking Pollack, but considering that Hayward and Pollack are both undersized speed ends, one would expect Jacksonville to focus on acquiring a DE with at least some more growth potential or size.

the team I'm now worried about is Dallas at #20. If the Cowboys think that Pollack can play OLB in their 3-4 defense, then I think he could be a pick by them. Here are the teams that I think are in a position to possibly draft Pollack. Again I rule him out as a Top 10 pick:

15. Chiefs - I think if the Chiefs get a top cover man in free agency, it will make them more likely to go DE with this pick.
17. Bengals - if they get TE and DT help in free agency, then I think it makes them more likely to go DE at this pick.
18. Vikings - there is no major need at DE, but the Vikes could take the best defensive player available with this pick.
19. Rams - a small possibility, I think they would prefer OL, but if they can secure their OL in free agency, they may turn to DE, especially if Bryce Fisher departs.
20. Cowboys - looking for a speedy DE that can play both in the 4-3 and 3-4.
21. Jaguars - less likely now, but could stil lbe on the lookout.
23. Seahawks - if they lose Okeafor, then they come into the mix.

I won't list any of the teams after that because, I feel if Pollack is available at #22 or #23, the Falcons would be stupid not to try and trade up.

Pollack IS THE GUY that I covet in this draft. He's what was Leonard Davis in 2001, Robert Gallery in 2004, and Ashley Lelie in 2002. The guy I think that if we can walk away from this draft with him, then we are in very good shape.

Profile E-mail