It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Height is needed!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:41 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

For defensive back,

My first draft pick go on CB Brandon Browner 6'4" cause he s a huge player and every db

(except:Brian Scott) are under 6'00". Too many receivers in and coming in NFL are over

6'00" and it will very hard to our dbs to defend these guys.

Id love to see Browner opposite of D Hall. the best pair of CB .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:09 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think people pay too much attention to height, and not enough attention to the areas that I think really count: strength.

I think a guy that is strong at 5'9" is not going to have as much trouble against big 6'3" and 6'4" wideouts as you would assume someone that is giving up 6 or 7 inches.

The truth of the matter is that a lot of big NFL wideouts are actually very soft. An example would be Plaxico Burress. Another would be Randy Moss. These aren't guys that are going to get too physical with DBs.

Also the issue with Browner is does he have the quickness to play cornerback? Considering I don't think we'll be using a lot of press coverage on defense, having a big corner is not that big a priority in my mind. Now I'm not saying we should target shrimps, but I think people have a pseudo fetish for corners that are taller than 6'0. And there is so much talk of the new breed of corners of being over 6 feet tall, but how many of these guys are actually top corners in the league?

Troy Vincent (6-1) and Bobby Taylor (6-3) in their prime, and yes to Charles Woodson (6-1) and Chris McAlister (6-1), but that's only a few. Still the vast majority of top cornerbacks in the NFL range between 5-9 and 6-0.

I think we should be looking for these things in cornerbacks in the draft:

1. Speed/Quickness. To play a lot of man coverage and the abilty to be left on an island.
2. Strength. So he can be physical with the big wideouts, and this also contributes to run support.
3. Spacial Awareness. This secondary still hasn't found it's identity. Mora/Donatell want to play more man coverage, but they may still have to use zone at the beginning of the year for transitional reasons. A guy that can both excel in man and zone coverage is ideal, although honestly it is a rarity, so more emphasis on man abilities.

As for right now, I'd say we need a corner that can cover the guy in the slot. That's been Kevin Mathis job for much of the past few years, but times are a' changing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:54 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Pudge
I m okay with you when you said "height is not the only way for the defensive back" but i still thinking that this man got all the things to become in a few years one of the best corner in NFL.he s got speed(even if he miss his conbine),physical plays and hawkeyes.

And i m still agree with you said time are changing because 36 of 48 Wideouts in the draft 2k5 are over 6-0 and fortunatly :D we got D "elastic man"Hall.

and again :wink: Id love to see Browner opposite of D Hall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:58 pm 

I havent' scouted Browner, but he seems an awful reminiscent of another Beaver CB in Dennis Weathersby. Weathersby was just cut the other day by the Bengals due to injury. His draft stock plummeted on draft day back in '03 because he was shot shortly before teh draft.

He was a big corner, but he wasn't that great a prospect because he had poor hips and lacked recovery speed. He was a guy that would only be effective in press coverage.

Browner is a bit quicker than Weathersby was, but he also doesn't seem like a guy that is going to be effective in anything besides press coverage either. And for a guy that is 6-4/220, I hear there is a lot to be desired about how physical he is.

Browner just seems to be a raw player that is more size than substance at this point. Most experts from what I've been hearing and reading think he's 2 or 3 years away from competing in the NFL. He was a guy that most contended came out at least 1 year too early, if not more.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:24 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

For Weathersby it s a very sad story for this young man :cry:

http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?i ... ws_id=2794

maybe he ll never play football !

I dont know if you remember he was on the home page of the offical Falcons site 2

weeks before the draft?