It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need for MLB just got less
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:23 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

We got Hartwell, so now the need for adding a young MLB of the future is now necessary. Although assuming we cut Draft, I think the team will still be on the lookout for a backup MLB, but it would seem it's not totally necessary considering that Reese and Brooking can play there in a pinch, and Demorrio also has potential to be a good backup there. Between Reese/Demorrio we can get a backup LB that can potentially play all 3 positions.

So now if you are the Falcons, are you still looking hard at MLB prospects, knowing that unless Hartwell totally crumbles, he won't be doing much beyond special teams for the forseeable future?

My thinking is, if there is a quality MLB late in the draft, we should take him, but right now if I'm looking at MLBs, I'm looking at guys that seem like they have the potential to play both OLB and MLB, since I think now depth takes priority over starting in the next year or so.

Before I was looking for the Falcons to add a MLB in Round 4 or 5, but now I think we can focus on RB, WR, DT, S, and OL in those rounds.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:03 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Honestly, I don't think this changes things too much in terms of how we draft. Hartwell will cover the middle for a while for us, but you can always use more depth even if you have solid talent already in place. McKay will take the best player available with each pick, which means one cannot rule out the chance of them picking a solid prospect at a position with established talent. If one of the good LBs is there when we pick in the 1st or 2nd, I'm sure they will seriously consider taking them. What's to say we end up grabbing someone like Kevin Burnett who could take the SLB position and give us an extremely talented starting 3 LBs. That would give us tremendous strength at LB and a chance to focus on other areas of need for the next few years. To me, that is very valuable and should never be overlooked. Sure, it would be nice for them to consider taking an OL or DL as those are areas of greater need, but it would not make sense for them to reach. We will see what McKay has up his sleeve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:46 pm 

Jag, I definitely agree in the best player available method. But I'm just thinking that now maybe if the Falcons are on the clock, and a good LB is #1 on the board, maybe they should go with their #2 player left on the board.

My thoughts come from this. Hartwell signed a big 6-year contract. Just by the very nature of these big contracts, without even knowing the exact terms and its breakdown, one can assume that for the first 3 seasons of his deal, his cap hits aren't too big. One source had him making $13 million over the first 3 years, which I would assume means (if you subtract his signing bonus) he will only be making about $5 million in other money during that span (avg. of $1.7M/yr.). But that likely means over the final 3 years of his contract, he will be making the remainder of his contract ($13 million or $4.3M/yr.), which is a considerable spike.

The issue with drafting a RB, is that anybody we likely add won't see the field for some time, of course assuming Hartwell is actually decent over the first few years of his contract. Even if he's not, the size of his bonus likely means he's guaranteed at least 3 years with the Falcons. So any new MLB likely won't get the chance to start until 2007, or otherwise the final year of his rookie contract or his RFA year.

I'm not totally against drafting a MLB. But as I said before, and as you mentioned, we should probably be looking more at guys with the range to play more than one position. A guy like Burnett is definitely that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Falcons draft picks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:53 pm 

With the compensatory picks released, we have a pretty solid idea on where the Falcons will be drafting on April, assuming there are no more trades.

Round 1, Pick 27, 27th Overall
Round 2, Pick 27, 59th Overall
Round 3, Pick 27, 90th Overall
Round 4, Pick 27, 128th Overall
Round 5, Pick 24, 160th Overall (from Broncos)
Round 5, Pick 27, 163rd Overall
Round 6, Pick 27, 201st Overall
Round 7, Pick 27, 241st Overall

I tried guessing where the Falcons would pick about a month ago, and was a bit off in the second day picks. :P

Profile E-mail