Re: Julio Best WR Article

All things related to the Atlanta Falcons, NFL and pro football related.
Bad moon

Postby Bad moon » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:59 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2566 ... ther-level

Maybe you guys saw this article (link above) saying Julio is the best receiver now in the NFL. It's funny, I don't feel it was long ago that folks still gave AJ Green the edge over Julio, but I feel that conversation is going to the background (notwithstanding AJ's huge recent contract).

Not sure if you guys think he is the best in the NFL, but I think clearly he is in the top 5. I would actually take him over Dez Bryant. Dez is more physical and probably a better red zone threat. He reminds me of Michael Irvin. But Julio is faster and more terrifying, and as Al Davis would say, speed kills.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Pudge
Site Admin

Postby Pudge » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:13 pm

There are 5 "elite" receivers in the NFL. Elite meaning you can make a strong case that they are the best in the biz:

Calvin Johnson
Antonio Brown
Julio Jones
A.J. Green
Dez Bryant

Choosing anyone of them has their merits. Johnson is probably the most dominant. Brown has been the most difficult guy to cover. Julio and Dez seem to be a balance of both. AJ has crushed despite being the only one that has a below average QB throwing him passes.

Some would also add Odell Beckham to that list, although IMO I need to see him do it for a 2nd consecutive year before he earns the right to be in that elite group.

People can put those 5 pretty much in any order they want. It's kinda like deciding who is the best QB in the league, but it's deciding between 2009 Brees, 2011 Brady, 2012 Manning, 2011 Rodgers i.e. some of those guys best seasons and deciding which one stands out more.

Any sort of delineation you try to draw between them is ultimately nitpicking and probably won't really come down to the individuals themselves, but having to extend the scope of the debate to the players around them because it's the only way to try and weigh them against each other.

The order I put those guys in above is how I'd rank them going into this season. BUt probably by the time we get to the end of 2015, I'll have switched them based off this year's performances. It's an interesting debate, but it's kinda blowing a lot of hot air since there really is no right answer.

Bad moon

Postby Bad moon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:22 pm

Might be hot air, but it's nice to hear a a Falcon mentioned as probably the best at his position.
For some reason, commentators do seem to like giving Julio a lot of cred, which is nice.

Pudge
Site Admin

Postby Pudge » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:38 am

Seeing is believing. And with the Falcons, they've mostly been out of sight, out of mind for many analysts. Thus why Julio hasn't gotten all the credit he's deserved despite dominating the past year or so, because people see a lot more of guys like Dez Bryant on TV, and thus when he has a big game, it resonates more nationally. Meanwhile, Julio is stuck here in Atlanta, getting 1 or 2 primetime games a night, and thus why people consider him to be among the best because of his steady production, nobody legitimately considers him to be the best like most did with Dez, Calvin or Antonio until they see him dominate a game like that so handly, especially against an opponent that most deemed to be superior to the Falcons.

As far as the "hot air" thing goes, I just think Falcon fans can sometimes get a little too precious with Falcons players, particularly when it comes to subjective rankings. If Julio is ranked 5th instead of 3rd, they get all upset. My point was that trying to decide how to rank the top 5 or so WRs in the league is essentially splitting hairs.

If you have Desmond Trufant as the 3rd best CB in the league and I have him 6th and someone else has him 9th, there's really no reason for people to get all huffy and puffy over where exaclty he gets placed in the top 10. Everyone agrees he's a top 10 corner, where he fits in that top 10 really doesn't matter.

I remember back in 2013, I was doing my Falcons Central Radio podcast with my co-host Scott Carasik and we were previewing the 49ers game. So we had a guy on the show to talk about the 49ers. His name is Turron Davenport and he now covers the Ravens. But back then i had to sit there and listen/watch them as they argued for 10 minutes about whether Vernon Davis was the 3rd most explosive TE in the NFL or the 6th most explosive TE. And I'm like really?

Return to “The Huddle”