PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:37 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

MARCUS CANNON
6-5/358
Texas Christian Senior
40: 5.26

PROS:

Massive blocker that moves well for his size and shows good athleticism when on the move and blocking downfield in space. Has pretty good feet considering his size. SHows the lateral footwork and technique to do well as a zone blocking. Shows pop as a run blocker and uses his size and strength well to get position. Is hard to get around for pass rushers. Has the size and leg drive to potentially be a solid drive blocker. Can deliver a powerful punch at times as a run blocker. Is able to get the seal against the linebacker on the second level and spring runner.

CONS:

Has sloppy footwork and technique. Gets too deep in his set and will give up the inside counter move a bit too easily. His poor hand use and struggles to initiate contact on the edge don't help. Doesn't have a good punch and doesn't consistently get extension. Comes into his set with his hands too low. Doesn't always do a good job staying square and struggles to adjust in space. Needs to improve his base and despite his size gets pushed back at times at the point of attack. Is too much of a waist bender. Takes false steps off the snap as a run blocker and comes out too high, limiting how much push he can get to move the pile. Has to gear up to deliver a punch as a run blocker and doesn't do a good job locking on. Needs to take better angles and whiffs on assignments in space and on the second level.

OVERVIEW:

Cannon has talent, but he's raw with his footwork and technique. A year ago when he played right tackle for them, he looked like a guy that needed to move inside. And this past year as their left tackle, he looked like a guy that needed to move inside. But teams like him because he's so big, yet still has good athleticism, which reminds you of a guy like Leonard Davis. He missed 1 start this past year with an ankle injury, and missed 2 as a sophomore with the same ailment. But otherwise he started 24 games as a right tackle at TCU, and 12 this past year on the left side.

NFL FORECAST:

I didn't see much improvement in Cannon's game from his junior to senior year as far as technique is concerned, which I don't think really bodes too well for the next level. But with Cannon, I think a team is going to have to take some time to develop him. I think he has the potential to play either right tackle or either guard position. I think his higher upside is as a guard, but he really needs to improve his hand use to be better in a short area because his technique is too sloppy to think that he can come in right away and impact. Teams will like him because he has a lot of potential as a run blocker. But Cannon is a guy that because of his technique and footwork are so sloppy, he may take the better part of two or three seasons before he can be a trusted starter. If during that time, he's working on the bench and working at multiple positions, he can develop the versatility that you want to see. I think for the most part he's a guy that is just a massive athlete that has been able to get by in the Mountain West without needing to develop good technique. And because of that, there could be some shell shock when he gets to the pros. And for similar reasons there is the potential that he becomes a bust at the next level, especially if he's counted on to solidify a spot too early on. But he's so talented that I think with NFL coaching he's going to get better. I'm not sure he'll reach his full potential, but at worst he'll be as good a pro as Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack, who's managed to last a decade in the league as a utility guy and stopgap starter at both tackle and guard. At best, I do think he has the potential to be one of the better guards in the league because of his ability to push the pile like a Leonard Davis or Carl Nicks, but like Davis I expect he won't start to grow into that player until several years into his career.

ATL FORECAST:

Cannon has potential to develop in Atlanta and down the road could be the type of road-grading left or right guard that the Falcons could want. And in the mean time, he can add depth. BUt he's a guy that is probably going to take at least two or three years of developing before he can be fully trusted with a starting job. So he would make a good insurance policy in case Johnson doesn't work out at left guard, or the team can't retain Dahl. He also would be a decent option to compete as a right tackle if the team doesn't re-sign Clabo, although I think he would struggle right off the bat, and more than likely the team would be forced to start Svitek or Reynolds initially. He could work in Atlanta, but only as a long-term project.

VALUE:

Based purely off his ability to contribute right away, I would say he's more in line with fourth round talent. But because unlike most fourth rounders, he has the potential to be one of the better guards in the league down the road, it pushes his value up into the late second or early third.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Strength: 4.0
Pass Blocking: 2.5
Run Blocking: 3.5
Footwork: 2.0
Technique: 2.0
Mobility: 3.0
Mean Streak: 2.5

Profile E-mail