PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:12 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

LEE ZIEMBA
6-6/317
Auburn Senior
40: 5.25 (estimated)

PROS:

Has nice footwork and technique in pass protection. Sets up well, gets nice extension and delivers a nice punch on the edge. Does a good initiating contact, able to redirect speed rusher and can adjust to inside move at times when he opens up his stance too wide. Plays with good base and handles the bull rush fairly well. Has some pop off the snap and can lock on as a run blocker. Does a good job getting to the second level, getting the seal block on the middle linebacker to spring runner. They run behind him quite a bit in that role, and he usually hits his assignments. Does a good job finishing his blocks. Has enough athleticism to pull.

CONS:

Doesn't have great feet to match up with speed. Opens his stance too early and needs to do a better job adjusting to the quick, inside move. Will whiff on his punch at times, overextending and giving up the easy sack. Needs to do a better job locking on in pass protection. Can get jolted back off the edge by the power rusher. Not as effective when you ask to block straight-ahead and lacks leg drive to be an effective drive blocker. Not that good when he's trying to get leverage against a bigger defensive tackle inside. Not super athletic, and doesn't adjust so well when you ask him to block on the move and pull.

OVERVIEW:

Ziemba was arguably Auburn's most effective blocker this past year with Cam Newton under center. They'd often switch him to the right side for the unbalanced line and he would be tasked with getting the seal block on the middle linebacker, which would either spring Newton or the running back for big runs. He's a solid technician, that doesn't wow you with his athleticism or strength, but fits well as a zone blocker at the next level. I think he played much more consistently as a senior than as a junior. Started every game he played at Auburn, logging a total of 52 career starts at left tackle.

NFL FORECAST:

Ziemba is going to find a home at some position in the pros. I think his best position is potentially as a Todd Weiner-type right tackle in a zone blocking scheme. He's not a dominant run blocker, but is a solid position blocker that typically hits his assignments. He doesn't really have the ideal athleticism and footwork to play left tackle at the next level, although as a stopgap starter like Weiner, I don't think he'd be totally lost. He could also kick in inside at guard, but I don't he's quite as good in a short area and getting initial push off the snap to really shine there. But playing inside would probably maximize his potential in pass protection because his athletic limitations would not be as exposed as much. He's a player that I think can come in right away, compete as a swing tackle or guard, and then in three or so years, can be competing if not winning a starting gig for a zone blocking team. I don't see him as a great player or top level starter, but he can be a guy that is an above average starter because he's assignment sound and can play with some consistency, which makes teams trust him more than some more talented players. At the very least, if not as a starter, he'll be a solid reserve that should stick in the pros because of his potential to play inside or outside. But it would surprise me if he doesn't have any starting opportunities by the time his rookie contract is up.

ATL FORECAST:

Ziemba can fit in Atlanta, but doesn't have great upside to be a starter because he's not a guy that is going to get a ton of push. But he would probably fit better inside at guard than outside at tackle in the Falcons blocking scheme. His upside is probably on par with someone like Harvey Dahl at that position, although he'd probably be a bit more consistent in pass protection, but probably not as good a run blocker. But he could potentially push for a starting guard spot two or three years down the line, especially if someone like Mike Johnson doesn't really work out. He would be good depth and insurance because he can also fill in just as ably as Svitek as a reserve tackle, although again he may not quite be the run blocker that Svitek is, but should be an upgrade in pass protection.

VALUE:

For a zone blocking team looking for a potential starter at guard or tackle, he might be worth a late third round pick. But for most teams, he'd probably be best going off the board in the fourth round.

SKILLS:
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Strength: 3.0
Pass Blocking: 3.0
Run Blocking: 3.0
Footwork: 2.5
Technique: 3.5
Mobility: 2.5
Mean Streak: 3.0

Profile E-mail