PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:25 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

CORDY GLENN
6-6/345
Georgia Senior
40: 5.15

PROS:

Has good size and strength. Uses his size well to get position and engulf defender. Does a nice job sealing the edge. Can get out on the second level well for a player with his size and able to wall off or redirect the linebacker or moving target. Matches up well against power as he rarely gives ground or gets pushed back. Hard to get around on the edge for smaller edge rushers. Will set up well at times in pass protection, with his hands high and tight and ready to deliver a punch. Has decent feet for a player with his size. Flashes some mean streak, finishing his blocks. Shows leg drive and will put a smaller defender into the turf at times.

CONS:

Doesn't always play with consistent pop off the snap for a player his size. Needs to do a better job with his hand placement initially off the snap to get leverage. Bends his waist too much, particularly as a pass protector. Will lose his balance and stands up out of his stance. Is not very natural blocking on the move and misses too many assignments there. Sluggish when pulling. Struggles to match up against speed on the edge in pass protection. Tends to grab on the edge rather than deliver a good punch, indicating poor hands. Doesn't do a good job initiating contact on the edge or when lined up inside. Allows defenders to get into him, and he gets jolted back too often upon initial contact. Has sloppy footwork on the edge, setting up too wide and giving the easy inside rush because he struggles to adjust in space. Can be slow to set up in pass protection and doesn't play balanced with good knee bend.

OVERVIEW:

Glenn is a good athlete with excellent size and strength. He flashes ability and top-end potential as a run blocker, but isn't consistently as dominant there as a player with his physical tools should be. He has consistently struggled in pass protection, whether playing inside at guard or outside at tackle. He's always been a player that is more about potential than actual production and ability. You see flashes of that dominant player, but his technique, hand use, and footwork tend to be too sloppy to really take full advantage of that. He spent the bulk of his career as a left guard, and probably could have come out last year, but was enticed to return for his senior year with a move out to left tackle in the hopes it would be an adrenaline shot to his draft stock. While he showed some improvements with his technique, he was clearly miscast on the edge particuarly when it came to pass protection. Teams will like his versatility and ability to play inside or outside, but he's best suited to playing inside which should cover up for some of the flaws in his game. He's a native of Riverdale, GA.

2011 GAMES WATCHED:

(9/3) vs. Boise St: 2.5 sacks, 1 QB hit, 2 penalties (false starts); Pull: 0/1; Cut: 0/2
(9/10) vs. South Carolina: 1 key block, 1 sack; Downfield: 3/3, Pull: 1/1; Cut: 1/2
(12/3) vs. LSU: 1 sack, 1 QB hit; Downfield: 0/2

CAREER STATS:

2011: 14 GP/14 GS; left tackle
2010: 13/13; left guard
2009: 13/13; 8 at LG, 4 at LT, 1 at RG
2008: 13/10; 7 at LG, 3 at RG

NFL FORECAST:

Glenn ultimately is a boom/bust prospect. While he's not a bust in the sense that he won't find a role in the NFL, he may not quite ever be the top-end blocker that his talent suggests he can be. He'll likely be a starter because teams will always give a guy with his size and athleticism opportunities to produce, but you might end up with the next Chris Kemoeatu rather than the next Carl Nicks. The upside is high with him and five years from now you could see him being one of the better guards in the league. But you could also see him just as easily as a guy that struggles to hold onto his starting job long-term because of the inconsistency. On a team that wants to be a physical, road-grading running team, Glenn should fit well. Thus why a guy like Kemoeatu was considered an asset for much of his career in Pittsburgh. But in recent years with the Steelers moving more towards a pass-centric offense, his flaws and limited abilities in the passing game were more and more exposed. That's a fairly strong possibility with Glenn. He could develop and improve there, but he's a guy that wins in pass protection more because he's bigger and stronger than everybody else, not because he's particularly skilled there. And with the increase in talent at the NFL level, I expect he'll see some early growing pains in that regards. I think Glenn is capable of playing outside in a pinch, but I don't think any team should view him as a long-term solution there. Instead, I think you stick him inside early and then further down the line once he's polished up his technique more he can move outside, similar to a player like Damien Woody. I think he can be an effective right tackle in the NFL because of his ability as a run blocker, but I think he's going to be one of those guys prone to a lot of penalties and will give up a ton of sacks. And I think a team will be hard-pressed, particularly during the course of his rookie deal to keep him on the outside for that reasons. Instead, like a Leonard Davis I think he'll be forced to move inside. I think Davis might be the better comparison than Nicks at this point. I don't see Glenn being considered the best guard in the league. But like Davis, I think 5-7 years down the road he could be considered one of the better guards because he's such a good run blocker, but will be a fairly one-dimensional player that won't be able to play at a high level consistently over the course of his career.

NFL COMPARISON:

Leonard Davis, ex-Lions.

ATL FORECAST:

Glenn would be the sort of physical presence inside for the Falcons that they have been sorely lacking over the years. While Glenn's talent level is to a point where it would be hard not to start him right away, the reality is that he probably is as of today not a better option than either Blalock or Manuwai. If the Falcons were patient with him, and sat him for the first year behind Manuwai, it would probably make him a better player. Then a year from now, you could plug him in at right guard and he should be a capable if not good starter. He's not the sort of pass protector that you want to leave on an island constantly, but playing beside a guy like Clabo would help somewhat alleviate those issues. And ultimately, if he's the pile clearer that Clabo needs to have beside him, it could ultimately make up for it. Eventually from that point on you hope he grows into a really top-end interior player.

VALUE:

Glenn's upside is definitely worth a first round pick, but in terms of true ability he's probably more in line with a second round pick because he's not that polished. That basically means he's worth a late first rounder. I wouldn't fault a team in the PIck. No. 15-20 range from taking him because of that upside, especially a team that is a run-first offense looking for that Leonard Davis-esque mauler on the interior.

SKILLS:
1-pathetic, 2-poor, 3-weak, 4-below average, 5-average, 6-above average, 7-good, 8-very good, 9-excellent, 10-elite

Strength: 9.0
Pass Blocking: 4.5
Run Blocking: 7.0
Footwork: 5.0
Technique: 4.5
Mobility: 5.0
Mean Streak: 5.5

Profile E-mail