PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:29 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

KENDALL REYES
6-4/299
Connecticut Senior
40: 4.95

PROS:

Has good size and strength. Has a nice first step that has the ability to shoot gaps and get penetration. Can use nice straight-line burst to get upfield and press the line of scrimmage. Able to beat the guard to his inside shoulder with his quickness. Flashes a nice bull rush and power move when working at the nose, able to work the center into the backfield. Has nice athleticism and range, and able to make plays in pursuit. Will chase downfield and shows a nice motor. Can work laterally down the line in pursuit and make stops there. Has good recognition and can sniff out screens. Able to get leverage at the point of attack and can occasionally get off blocks to make stops.

CONS:

Doesn't have ideal bulk or size to really hold up at the point of attack. Can struggle when taking on the double team. Needs to do a better job using his hands to get off blocks and disengage. Doesn't really showcase any pass rush moves, relying on just adequate quickness and effort mainly. Doesn't wow you with his first step to really be a dangerous pass rusher.

OVERVIEW:

Reyes is a solid interior player that flashes disruptive abilities. But there is nothing about his game that suggests he'll be a dominant player at the next level. He's mainly solid, able to get upfield and make some plays in the backfield, but also not a guy that is going to really win by holding the point of attack as a run stopper either. He fits well in a one-gap scheme, but played quite a bit as a nose tackle when UConn went to 3-man fronts. He is

2011 GAMES WATCHED:

(9/16) vs. Iowa St: 1 TFL, 1 sack, 1.5 stuffs, 2 pressures, 1 missed tackle; 1 penalty (offsides)
(10/26) at Pittsburgh: 1 stuff, 1 pressure

CAREER STATS:

2011: 12 GP/12 GS, 46 tackles, 13.5 TFLs, 4.5 sacks, 0 INTs, 4 PDs, 0 FF, 1 FR
2010: 13/13-39-10.0-2.5-2-4-1-0
2009: 13/12-37-6.0-3.0-0-2-1-0
2008: 11/4-3.0-1.5-0-0-1-0
2007: redshirted

- missed 2 games in 2008 with a high ankle sprain

NFL FORECAST:

Reyes reminds me of Corey Peters in the sense that I think he can become a good starter at the next level, but I don't see him becoming a great starter. There is just nothing he does really well that can or will take over a game. He's an adequate pass rusher, but he doesn't possess the quickness or burst to really think he can impact there in a 4-3 scheme. I do like his upside as a nose tackle in a 4-3 because of his ability to be disruptive, and he has good strength (36 bench reps at the Combine), but he's not a guy that consistently overwhelmed guys with his power. But he flashes enough. He has the sort of size that 3-4 teams also look for at end, and while I think he can play there, I don't think that's a scheme he'll shine in. I think he'll just be an adequate starter in that scheme. I think he should have a nice, productive NFL career and be a guy that is capable of being an effective starter fairly early in his career similar to Peters. Like Peters, I think he can be a great No. 3 defensive tackle, a solid No. 2 guy, but if he's the best guy you have in the middle, you're going to be looking for more help. He'll probably never be a great pass rusher, but he can have some production because of his good motor that will allow him to make some stops when QB's step up in the pocket. Perhaps a better comparison than Peters because of Reyes potential to play nose tackle in a 4-man front is Barry Cofield, who had a very similar size, frame, and athleticism when he came out of Northwestern. Like Cofield, he's surrounded by other more disruptive players and if used in a rotation, he can be effective. If Reyes becomes your fourth best defensive linemen, you'll probably have a really solid front. If he's your second or third best guy, you're line is probably decent, but nothing special. I think he's a guy that can come in quickly, carve out a niche in a rotation, and if need be be a competent starter by his second or third year.

NFL COMPARISON:

Barry Cofield, Redskins.

ATL FORECAST:

Reyes would be a nice addition to the Falcons front because he would definitely bolster their rotation. Because he'll probably be at least as good a player as Peters, it'll definitely give the Falcons three solid interior players. And with Babineaux starting to near the end, he could slide into the role as the starter beside Peters down the road. Reyes would likely then be more of the run stopper at the nose, while Peters is more of the penetrator. But as a starting pair in a front four for the Falcons, they would really need some solid edge players to really make that work. If the Falcons go to more of a two-gap scheme under Mike Nolan, then I think Reyes has potential to develop as a nose man despite not having ideal size. But with his strength and the potential to add weight, I think he could develop there, similar to how Cofield is a competent nose tackle now for the Redskins in their 3-4. He wouldn't be Casey Hampton by any means, but as a solid guy that could split snaps with another guy, he could be a very effective complementary starter.

VALUE:

Reyes lack of ideal upside as a starter means that he's probably best coming off the board in the third round. If a 4-3 team that is desperate to fill a hole in the middle is picking at the end of the second he wouldn't be a major reach.

SKILLS:
1-pathetic, 2-poor, 3-weak, 4-below average, 5-average, 6-above average, 7-good, 8-very good, 9-excellent, 10-elite

Strength: 8.0
Point of Attack: 6.5
Quickness: 6.5
Pass Rush: 6.0
Motor: 7.5

Profile E-mail