It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost Posts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:46 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

You should all be receiving an e-mail indicating that there was an error involving the forum database backups and 3 weeks of posts were lost.

As it indicates in that e-mail, any posts, threads, profile updates, PMs, etc. you have made since July 10, 2006 have now been lost. Even the users that have registered since then. And there is really no way to get them back due to the error occurred during the recent backup processses.

Sorry.

:oops: :evil:

Last edited by Pudge on Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:00 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

In tech terms what happened???? Why just the posts since 10 July 2006????

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:34 pm 

Without getting too technical, basically when I was trying to install a new modification on the board, it didn't work. Well before you make any changes to the software, it's always smart to back up your software right?

So I did that. But what I didn't realize until afterwards was that the backup was incomplete, and it basically only backed up about half the posts, which meant that all posts made since January 17 were lost.

So when the mod didn't work, I simply restored the backup thinking that everything would go back to normal. That most recent backup was made last night at midnight, so the forum should not have skipped a beat.

Instead I had restored the corrupted backup. And then when I looked back at previously stored backups I had made realized they had made similar errors as well.

So the most recent backup I had that was not "corrupted" dated back to July 10. So I was forced to have to restore that backup.

Essentially the problem is nothing more than an error in the processing of backing up the MySQL database that this forum's software runs on. The simple fix is that I need to check all the backups to make sure they are complete after I make them from now on rather than assuming they are whole.

Profile E-mail