All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kingdom Talk, Week 1
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:50 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Isiah Gates
9/1/2012

Should Christians Judge?

Many people, especially Christians tend to misquote the Bible and take it out of context. Often times, they become irrational in their interpretation of God’s Word; usually to justify some sort of vice they are dealing with. This is especially true with the issue of judging. Whether you are trying to share truth with a sinner, or admonish a fellow believer, you will frequently hear phrases like “Don’t judge” and “Only God can Judge me”. This attitude is, at the very least, unbiblical. But it is also inadequate for someone whose intentions should be growing spiritually.

When Jesus said “Judge not, that ye be not judged.” in Matthew chapter 7, verse 1, He was referring to those who attempt to judge the reasons and motives behind someone’s actions. In other words, judging the heart, which only God is capable of. He was not instructing His followers to never correct their brethren or rebuke them of wrongdoing. Contrarily, we are encouraged to do so in love. The apostle Paul supports this notion in 1 Thessalonians 5:12, and again in Titus 2:15.

To admonish is not a form of judgment, but a form of edification. But it is up to the rebuked to receive the correction and apply it to their lives, thus stimulating their spiritual growth.

Enjoy the season guys, God Bless.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kingdom Talk, Week 1
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:40 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

As I'm typing this, I know this is opening up a large can of worms, but I can't help myself...

Not sure I agree with your interpretations of the passages noted. I think they are indeed talking about not judging others in the way that people often use that phrase.

I agree that they do not warn against admonishment (particularly when it comes to providing encouragement and aid when deemed necessary), but I think their core meaning is about getting your own house in order before you start looking at cleaning others. Basically, mind your own business.

And it's hard to put a lot of stock in the passage in Titus when only a few verses earlier it discusses that women should be submissive to their husbands and the same should be with slaves to their masters.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kingdom Talk, Week 1
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:09 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Ok :so:

Profile E-mail