All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brand New Shark Week Post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:29 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Isiah Gates
10/26/12

The Halloween Tango, Done Only By Christians

Halloween is near. Just around the corner. Subsequently, there’ll be a lot of God’s people taking their kids Trick or Treating, allowing them to attend haunted houses and things of that nature. This is not good judgment. I hope by the end of this composition you will understand why.

Halloween began as Samhain, an ancient Celtic festival about 2,000 years ago in which, on the night of October 31, the Celts believed the boundaries between the living and the dead were overlapped. They believed that ghosts would return to Earth to wreak havoc like cause sicknesses and destroy crops. The Celts would create bonfires and wear costumes from animal skins, in hopes to appease the evil spirits. They would also attempt to tell each other’s fortune.

The children would go to the houses of the villages’ residence and ask “Trick or treat?” This was essentially a threat, as in, “Give us a treat, or get a trick played on you”.

Since Halloween is clearly catered to appeasement of demons, God’s people have no business being apart of these festivities. It’s undisputable that Halloween is mainly focused on fear, darkness, monsters, and the occult. These are not the kinds of things that we should expose ourselves to, let alone our children. The Apostle Paul said that we should "have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them." (Ephesians 5:11) He also said to “Abstain from all appearance of evil” (1 Thessalonians 5:22). This is God speaking, not human opinion.

Halloween is demonically influenced. It causes people to dress in horrifying attire and attempt to scare and even harm another person. There is and evil atmosphere associated with this day. These are the types of activities that God instructs His people in His Word to have no parts in. In fact, we should hate such things (Romans 12:9).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Brand New Shark Week Post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:13 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Hate Halloween? :snooty:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:17 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

:clap: You're all right with me, CJN. Tragically religious but all right.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:21 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm with Bnb your super religious which I can't relate too, but you seem other wise like a cool guy and good Falcon fan. Aka, keep the posts coming, and much better thread title :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:53 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Well hey, I love the Lord, but you gotta live a little, you know? A sense of humor is imperative in life.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:35 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I understand the percieved quandry of the devout Christian. You feel commanded to go forth and spread the word and, yet, ironically, it is all supposed to be about your personal relationship with JC. Similarly, let's say I'm all about a political candidate or Amway products and I'm always trying to wedge them into whatever I do. How effective is that going to be in making someone see my side? As ever, no one forces anyone to open a thread or to read it but it is a pretty small gang here and, frankly, sometimes the divergence from pure football is refreshing and puts a bit of a face on folks. As with all faiths--whatever they may be--if you believe it it is true for all intents and purposes. The Bible is a deep well and I see how people become obssessed with it and the religion--or any religion. And that is what Christianity is though its followers disdain that description. It really all isn't as complicated as we choose to make it and the superstitions and prejudices that we color it with are, as a Rev friend of mine once said, like how when you point to something to your dog and he winds up looking at the end of your finger rather than what you are pointing to. Speaking of dogs...don't let your dogma run over my karma. :wink: :mrgreen:

Like DW says, it is clear you're good people, CJN. Now, I'd like to talk to you about my uncle, the state senator and Fuller Brush salesman. :up:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:58 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I have a inward desire to do every thing I do to my God's glory. Even if it means rooting for my football team. I also have such a passion for people that I'm driven to do my part in advancing God's kingdom. It's better than doing nothing. At some point, when you see a person about to be hit by a bus, you gotta tackle them.

But notice that I dont force my beliefs on anyone here, neither do I badger anyone about being saved. But I do care about you all enough to present clarity, and that's all [Shark Week] is. Whatever good that comes from it is not because of me, but it is Christ that works in me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:56 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Like I say, I get it. It is not really possible to "force your beliefs" on anyone. Know what I mean. You are just expressing your opinion. Certainly not a crime. If I thought your head would explode if you were to eat a Big Mac and I saw you about to bite into one I would slap it out of your hand whether you understood or not. Kind of Golden Rule-ish which, all said and done, pretty much takes care of everything much moreso than 10 Commandments. The Truth is so simple a fool can see it.