It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FalcFans Podcast!!! Also submit questions here...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:17 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

No, this is not a thread to talk about doing a podcast, this is the thread that shows links to the actual podcast, that me and Adkinsmark (aka Ryan) have begun recording.

Episode 1:

http://falcfans.com/falcfans-podcast-episode-1-4446

Enjoy!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ACTUAL FalcFans Podcast!!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:39 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Pudge, do you wish comments to be made on this thread, PM or start a new thread?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:16 pm 

You can post them in this thread.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:12 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I thought it was a good start, I liked hearing the discussion. Your style is somewhat similar to the CBSsports.com football podcast:
http://podcasts.cstv.com/feeds/nfl.xml

Some suggestions:
*Have some topics and answers prepared. Pudge, you are great with research and I would like to hear some prepared detailed responses to topics.

*Perhaps you could go over a couple of 'break and butter' plays that the Falcons (and their opponent during the regular season) run. A detailed description of what the play is trying to do, what is expected of each position during the play and some options for each play. I don't spend time reviewing game tape like you do and would greatly benefit from such an analysis. I would like to learn more about the game strategies and this would give me a chance to look at a play during the game and understand what is supposed to happen. It also would help me understand whether a player really performed properly on the play. I would like to hear that for offensive and defensive plays.

Anyway, nice start and I fully expect you will get more comfortable as you record more of these (and I do hope you continue to record them).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:44 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. We recorded our second podcast today (around the time you were posting this). Breaking down plays is an interesting idea.

As you can probably tell, it's a work in progress. But I'm hoping by the time the regular season rolls around we'll be going full bore.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:54 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Podcast! Pretty cool Pudge. Congrats! I know it was only the first preseason game, but you come across way more laid back in your podcast than your posts which are very strongly opinionated. I never post over here anymore but always read you posts - don't always agree but worth a good read. Good job! BTW, somebody posted a link to your Podcast over on the Roost.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:34 pm 

Episode 2

http://falcfans.com/falcfans-podcast-episode-2-4505

Our second episode of our brand new podcast is now available! In this one, Ryan and I break down our reactions to the preseason action against the Dolphins. We also talk about some of our expectations for this week’s game against the Jaguars and give insight into our regular season opener against the Bears as well. Enjoy!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:25 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Listened to it today...much of the time having to stare at Ray Edwards in his drawers. Thanks a lot. Pretty good. Who is Ryan? A poster here? You do come off a bit more passive on the air, so to speak. No carpet bombing with stats!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:54 pm 

Ryan is a poster here by the name of Adkinsmark.

And I'm making an effort to be less abrasive since Ryan and I are just starting out. Still getting a feel for the dynamic...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:49 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This is America, baby! Abrasion sells! Seriously though, I'm not sure what the intent is for the podcast but don't be shy (and boring). You have a wealth of information and opinions. Boiling down your stats and so forth to an absorbable level for the average reader/listener would be helpful. It's good to do the research but I know myself, for one, gets a little glazed over with the sea of numbers and so forth. Statistically speaking, after how many child births does a woman become "sloppy?" And what is the numerical correlation between slop and sacks?:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I want in, Pudge!

I can add an opinionated flare to it so let me know if you wanna spice it up! :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:46 am 

I appreciate the feedback. I think we're going to try and have others on the podcast at future dates, although I don't see that on the immediate horizon. So Birdman, you may get your opportunity...

As for the "intent" of the podcast, I'm not sure. It's just another avenue to broaden the appeal of this site, promote discussion, etc. As for what exactly it's going to be, I don't really have a clue. It may take us 5 episodes to really find our feet or niche, or it may take 50.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
I appreciate the feedback. I think we're going to try and have others on the podcast at future dates, although I don't see that on the immediate horizon. So Birdman, you may get your opportunity...

As for the "intent" of the podcast, I'm not sure. It's just another avenue to broaden the appeal of this site, promote discussion, etc. As for what exactly it's going to be, I don't really have a clue. It may take us 5 episodes to really find our feet or niche, or it may take 50.

Let me know. Seriously. Could be fun and interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Just listened to chunks of each of the first two pod casts. Both were better than expected. My only complaint was they were a little dry and had a bit of a first date feel to the conversation. Ryan, you were a good co host and I think you should stay on. My advice to you Pudge would be to add a third member to the show. It will fill in gaps, add a different perspective, while still not overcrowding the show and making it seem like a free for all that is hard to follow. Or perhaps the two of you could have a guest host every week? Either way I think it would help.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:07 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge, how did you set it up? Do you and Ryan use Skype, and then you record it, and then edit it and post it? Are you using any podcasting related software? Just curious...

Also, my lame advice besides being more passionate is to include sound drops ( say Roddy White talking to J Schultz, and then you guys comment on it) and maybe using a little music or sound effects while in program.. Say your talking about Grimes, you could use the Superman theme as a music bed, or when Owens gets roasted you could have fire crackling sounds and a fire engine, that sort of thing. It wont make it 'morning zoo' but might keep the recording moving and add a little levity to it.

Congrats, though. Definitely sounds promising!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:52 pm 

Yes, we use Skype, and I record it in GarageBand and also use that to edit it. And when I edit it, it's mostly to cut out the dead air or when we get too far on tangents.

i do want to add some music, at least some intro music. Since you're a musician fun gus, maybe you can help me out there... :mrgreen:

I like your suggestions fun gus, but honestly at this point I don't want to spend a huge amount of time editing the things. Right now, for about every minute we record it takes about 2-3 minutes to edit. So an hour podcast takes about 2-3 hours to edit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:27 pm 

Icky Balooky Episode

http://falcfans.com/falcfans-podcast-ic ... isode-4552

This was supposed to be a mini-episode, but it blew into a full-fledged heated discussion about the recent rumors surrounding the big world changing move on the Falcons horizon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:54 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I have listened to about half of episode 3 (on the drive into work) and I can say it was not unpleasant. For those who have not heard it, it is much like a call into Sirius NFL. Pudge is the expert and Ryan playing the straight man with the straw man questions. If that is not the format for Ryan, then it could get real painful, because his arguments/points are radio fan call in type. Pudge’s frustration at some of Ryan’s points did bleed through at times.

Again, if that is not the intentional set up of the podcast, apologies to Ryan, but it will get tough to listen to based upon what I have heard unless he picks up his game. WJFK probably had the granddaddy of this format in the “Sports Junkies” back in the mid 90s. It played on Saturdays and Sundays and to make it sound like a basement/bar, they had music playing softly in the background. Guys had their particular roles, but were not wed to them – either that or they found the stereotype of each fan. Was an interesting listen during the off season.
I’ll subscribe and listen to most, there are a few that I will most certainly delete without listening - if they come to pass.

All and all a great start and look forward to more.

W

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:13 am 

Wease wrote:
Pudge is the expert...

You're now on record of calling me an expert. No take backs! Insert villainous laugh. :twisted: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:16 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Wease wrote:
Pudge is the expert...

You're now on record of calling me an expert. No take backs! Insert villainous laugh. :twisted: :lol:

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:08 pm 

Episode 3 "BS and Peria Jerry"

http://falcfans.com/falcfans-podcast-ep ... jerry-4602

Not our best, but still kinda fun...

If you guys have any questions or topics you want us to talk about on the site, then please post them in this thread.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: FalcFans Podcast!!! Also submit questions here...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:50 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Beau Bock : Work with T.O.s trainer, Buddy Primm, everyday. Told me, "Mularkey wants to see Terrell"! Dimitroff told me today, "Not happenin"!

That what BB tweeted and meant by an 'icy-balooey' move. T Owens. Sweet Feathery Jesus. It is now time to put the old man in a home.

But dont call him a 'homer' :king:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:35 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Will Spencer Adkins make the Hall of Fame?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:35 pm 

Episode 4 "Mike Johnson's Love Handles"

http://falcfans.com/falcfans-podcast-ep ... ndles-4658

Description: Ryan and Aaron talk about the Steelers preseason game as well as break down who they think will be on the Falcons final roster as cut day looms. Both guys draw lines in the sand over whether players such as Mike Johnson, Joe Hawley, Akeem Dent, Spencer Adkins, and Matt Bosher are going to make it. You'll also hear Ryan's reaction to the final revelation of what player Falcons radio man Beau Bock was describing as "icky balooky." Ryan and Aaron even get into a brief discussion of fantasy football and the Green Bay Packers in the end.

Duration: 1 hour, 7 minutes

For our next episode I'll tweet before when we are recording so that if you're on twitter, you can submit questions there. Still looking for good questions/topics that people want us to talk about in future episodes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:16 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
For our next episode I'll tweet before when we are recording so that if you're on twitter, you can submit questions there. Still looking for good questions/topics that people want us to talk about in future episodes.

questons to be discussed:

Why did Redman suck so bad?
How will McClure's injury effect the beginning of the season?
Who gets dumped first:Trey Lewis,Owens or Chauncey Night Train Davis?
Which is better:Popeyes or KFC