It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stranded out in the middle of the ocean
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:26 am 

Hey guys I'm still working on a ship out here now in Malaysia. Unfortunatley the ship was stranded out in the middle of the ocean with only one engine going out of 4. There was a fire in the engine room and we had no air condition for 2 days. Very miserable time. Hard to put in words what this experience was like. Also haven't had internet for awhile so I just go on today since ships internet is working again, You can read about our saga just google azamara quest, we've been on the news with CNN,Fox etc.

Things are getting better with the air condition working eating better and in port finally. We were 200 miles out from land when this happened.
Hopefully I'll have internet to keep informed on world news.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Stranded out in the middle of the ocean
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:47 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Hey I read about your ship online, with temps that high and no ac everyone must be getting a bit ripe :wink: :wink: Anyways glad you and everyone else are safe!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:03 am 

Thanks Dave. We are stuck in a port in Malaysia now waiting to see what the next step is. As long as I have wifi and air condition I'm happy. The wifi is sporadically but better than none. I miss chatting on the board but some day I'll be back on land for good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:32 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Scout, while I'm not looking for actual numbers, money wise and experience wise do you think it's worth it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:14 am 

DaveWaz wrote:
Scout, while I'm not looking for actual numbers, money wise and experience wise do you think it's worth it?

Well in the long run no it isn't worth living on a ship for a long time. Its easier for me to save money on the ship since there is little expense back home other than storage fees which can be costly. Experience wise playing on a ship its better than working a real job yet career wise I'd say no there is little potential in this job to move to other areas. I get to see places all over the world but after awhile places start looking the same.Its also hard to find people to talk to just to shoot the breeze. Many crew members are from the Phillipines and then you have other people from other countries in Europe that mostly make up the crew. There are not many americans on crusie ships that work as crew. Most are in the entertainment dept like me/ Even then most are in the early 20's to mid 20's and have their own little group so older people generally its hard to find people to talk to .Alomg with that you miss the things on land you take for granted like watching sunday football or other american sports, going to the movies, eating out at restaurants your used to the food and driving around in your car.
Since the economy isn't good for jobs was a main reason I took this gig. Eventually I'm going to have to move back to land to be happy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:41 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It's funny how you take a lot of things that are just normal in America for granted. When I was 16, I did a school-sponsored summer trip to France and Spain for 2 weeks. And after that experience, I realized how much I missed having ice in my drinks. I'm betting there are a lot of little things like that you miss scout.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Being in the Navy and being on ships for the majority of my 20s I could have told you how cut off from life you feel when you are in the middle of the ocean. I have been all over the world andno matter where I go there is nothing like the great US of A. I love to travel but, I could never stay OCONUS.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:43 pm 

Reezy, your right there is nothing like the USA .The more I travel the more I see you can't get stuff over in Europe like you do in the USA.Pudge, your right you miss the little things you take for granted in the USA. High speed cable for one.I'm constantly looking for fast internet to download stuff and its ard to find in the find far east.Hopefully Singapore my next stop I can find something.Goimg to the good restaurants when you know your getting good foods another thing missed. Looks like I may have some fun in Rhodes Greece in terms of women.Tim,e to break open Scouts bank account and have some fun. :P

Profile E-mail