It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Logan Thomas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

...recently worked out with the QB coach that has helped Luck, Newton and Roethlisberger (out in San Diego). I don't know how much more effusively you could praise someone :wub: !

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak

NFL quarterback coach George Whitfield calls Virginia Tech’s Logan Thomas ‘very, very scary’

By Mark Giannotto

Quarterbacks coach George Whitfield, a former Youngstown State quarterback under coach Jim Tressel, has become a trendy name in the football world after training Andrew Luck, Cam Newton and Ben Roethlisberger in recent years, and Virginia Tech’s Logan Thomas worked out with him for a week during spring break earlier this month in San Diego. By the end of their time together, Whitfield was raving about Thomas’s combination of size, agility and brains.

“I’m so incredibly impressed with his ability to learn and just pick things up and go,” Whitfield said in a telephone interview. “That’s what you want. You want a guy that’s impressionable as a student, regardless of the talent. Logan just happens to be very, very scary. You just see how physically imposing he is when he gets off the bus, but a lot like Roethlisberger, these guys are so big that you’re blown away how athletic, how quick, how light on their feet they are.

“He started basically playing quarterback as an upperclassman in high school and has basically been learning on the fly ever since. And now, I mean, I think he’s amazing. I think the guy, the combination of intangibles, athleticism, and from the neck up just makes him scary.”

Whitfield was so intrigued by Thomas that he went to several NFL scouts after their time together and asked them who could potentially be the No. 1 quarterback selected in next year’s draft other than USC’s Matt Barkley and Florida State’s E.J. Manuel. Whitfield made it a point not to say he had been training Thomas, and still, Thomas’s name kept coming up.

Whitfield said he was particularly impressed with Thomas’s ability to throw on the run, and was surprised at the fluidity and mobility the 260-pound specimen showed.

“He can knock a man down with the football, but a lot of guys’ bootlegs, they’re moving backwards. They don’t want to be moving to their weak side or close side,” Whitfield said. “I’m chasing him with brooms, working around cones and all he needs to do is see it and he sees it and then immediately — and just like the great ones — they look at it and say, ‘Okay this is what they’re trying do. I have an answer for this.’ He’s only 20. This kid was absolutely, he’s awesome.”

Whitfield praised Virginia Tech quarterbacks coach Mike O’Cain and the entire Hokies offensive staff for how they brought Thomas along last season, not feeding him too much information once he got on the field but also gradually increasing his responsbilities in the offense. “Sometimes you can bound a guy up by giving him everything.”

Thomas got O’Cain’s blessing before going out to San Diego, and O’Cain said he encouraged his pupil to seek some outside guidance because “any time you can go out and work on a skill with a different person, that’s good. I think you learn things from different people, little drills and things like that. Logan and I talked a little bit about it. I think he enjoyed it, felt it was very much worth his while, got a few little things that could help him.”

Whitfield said the two points he and Thomas focused on over the week were consistency in play and managing bad plays. The coach emphasized to Thomas that becoming an elite quarterback is not necessarily just about throwing for more than 300 yards. Instead, he wants to see Thomas “take care of the whole sideline with what I call graduate-level stuff,” such as knowing when to throw the ball away in order to maintain field position and being more aware of his check-down throws and potential running lanes by immersing himself further into his playbook.

But Whitfield’s one week with Thomas was enough to convince him the rising redshirt junior is one of the top college quarterback prospects in the country this year. After workouts, when the two would have breakfast together, Whitfield was shocked at how Thomas could go through every game from last season and remember the exact plays where he could have done something better.

Even off the field, it seems, Whitfield couldn’t find many faults in Virginia Tech’s starting quarterback.

“He’s a gentlemen. He just happens to wear a sword and shield when he’s out there on the field. But he is a gentlemen,” Whitfield said. “He is sharp and you can tell this is not a Hollywood-type guy. He’s not a guy who’s rushing back to the Sunday paper after games to check stats.

“There was no, ‘If someone had done this, I could’ve thrown for 400 yards.’ Just very self-deprecating, I guess. He’s just grounded, and that’s what you want whether it’s a win or a loss.”

Post subject: Re: Logan Thomas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:04 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm not sold on Barkley being the top QB next year. His arm is very, very average. I know people talk down about Matt Ryan's arm, but I don't think Barkley is even on that level. And with all the nitpicking that always occurs with the top-rated QB going into a season, I think Barkley's stock is potentially going to fall.

The question then becomes, if not Barkley then who. Landry Jones is coming off a very lackluster junior year, where he looked more like a 2nd round pick than anything. He could get back into that mix with a strong season, but he doesn't seem to possess the intangibles, decision making, and particularly athleticism to really like his chances at the next level. Very statuesque in the pocket, and that doesn't fly as much in the pros as it once did.

Tyler Wilson? Geno Smith? Both are athletic guys. The game hasn't quite slowed down for either yet, but if it does this year, I think they can be in the mix.

E.J. Manuel and Logan Thomas are the two most intriguing prospects. Both are big and athletic in the Cam Newton mold. I think Thomas has flashed more pocket passing ability to date from what I've seen. But the thing you like about Manuel is he is a studious guy, All-Academic selection. But it hasn't quite translated on the field, as he plays more like an athlete first, passer second.

I've seen the flashes of Thomas in the past with his touch and anticipation on some throws. But then at other points you see him get into his run-first mold. And I think the issue you worry about with Thomas is that over the years, Virginia Tech hasn't always done a great job of coaching their guys out of that mold because they are so enamored with their ability to make plays.

That's the key with Thomas this year, how does his decision making improve this year. Does he anticipates his throws and make more smart decisions than a guy that just falls back to his legs/size/athleticism when things break down. These are the things you start to see when things start to slow down for guys. Is he going to be holding onto the ball waiting for his first read to come open, or is he going ot be a guy that can anticipate those throws/reads. I think because of his size/strength that makes him very hard to sack, it tends to slow him down, with the clock in his head and his movements.

At this point, the comparison I would make is Josh Freeman.

It's going to be another up year in the ACC for QBs. I haven't seen the Duke guy (Renfree) play, but with Mike Glennon and Bryn Renner, and Stephen Morris there should be a couple of guys playing on Saturdays this fall that will eventulaly play on Sundays in the near future. I'm not the biggest fan of Tajh Boyd, but he certainly has talent.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Boy I"ll have to pay more attention to Barkley's arm, but that cannot be good for him on any level. LJones, ehhh, just never taken that next nfl step imo. Manuel, ehhh x2. Manuel's just never put it all together, whether inconsistent play or injuries. I didn't know he was that smart, almost makes you wonder even more why he hasn't taken off yet. I def don't like his throwing motion at all fwiw. Thats definitely not a strong field.

Man I had been thinking Thomas would be around another two years, but he might already eclipse that group above just on metrics and potential. I've held back on his potential, seeing how he progressed last year. He really only did play QB about two years in HS, and at the time his intention was to play Hback/TE (plus he played LB). So to say he's still learning the position is still an understatement. Someone like TTaylor had been playing since middle school. That matters. Thing is, Thomas must have a whole lot of gray matter upstairs (as it does really come across in interviews, how well spoken he is). Not only came in running the offense well, but graduated to play checks/two minute offense by seasons end. And he was very comfortable running the two minute also. As comfortable as he was last year, it was still year 1 starting as a D1 QB. I'm almost not sure how to guage how much more he jumps yr2, as things continue to speed up/slow down for him.

VT is "supposively" installing more spread plays, plus speeding up the general tempo of the O. Mainly b/c they need to get w/ the times moreso, but also b/c LT can handle it mentally. By last years end he ran the two minute offense w/ total command. May as well maximize your best talent (novel concept in dirty bird land I know).

Then you get to this kids metrics and its just insane. He's a good bit bigger than a Newton now, towering at 6'6 and 255 lbs. Thats 20+ lbs bigger than most LB's trying to tackle you, so the over/under him dump trucking LB's this year is probably 30. VT's offense in the red zone was terrible last year, but thats more aiken to Wilson's lack of vision. Whenever VT got inside the 5, LT QB sneak time. I've never seen a college qb successfully sneak so much for goaline td's. But its really as simple as he's too damn big and strong to be denied. Plus he invited contact and physicality down there, and it didn't matter. I would say at the same time he doesn't run much intentionally. To me its more b/c he can get 5 yards simply falling down. So when the throw isn't there, may as well keep the chains moving. But at the same time that is a big canon he sports, and the throwing motion is awesome. You're not blocking/batting down a ball delivered at appx 6'6, straight over the top.

I hate to say it, but this may be the last year I get to enjoy him in a VT uni. I also think at this point, minus MV1, gonna easily be the most prolific passer/qb in vt history.

Check this block out from last year... :shock: :rofl: Thats sick! (20 sec mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L16pxRHoW0

Get used to this connection this year. Marcus Davis should be able to let his freak mode take over this year, and they alredy were connecting nice on the deep ball last year (minnefield couldn't even pass interfere and stop it). Plus thats a NICE deep ball. DJ Coles is a big nfl prospect like Davis too, plus you can throw in DRoberts. Thats a nice trio to move onto from losing your two most prolific in school history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2eFvci1 ... re=related

Lastly, ck out the 40 sec mark. Whew thats a nfl throw...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHpV8ldCic0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:58 pm 

Yeah, for Logan Thomas many of the things you like about his potential are the same reasons why some people (including myself) really like Ryan Tannehill. Despite limited experience, he plays with a poise that goes beyond what his traditional experience should be. Although I should note, I thought similar things about Mark Sanchez, and that hasn't worked out too well.

The key for Thomas is just starting to put it all together and showing those things more consistently. Which is the whole key to be a successful NFL player at any position, but most important at QB. The best do it play after play, after play, after play. Otherwise, you wind up being in that Chad Henne class of QB. A guy that people know is talented enough to play, but you can't trust him. And at the end of the day, that's what being an NFL QB is really all about. Can I trust this guy to either make the throw(s) that can win me the game, or at the very least trust him to not make the throw(s) that will lose me the game.

And IMO, that's really how I measure intangibles. Because if a guy is a smart guy that studies, and works hard in practices, and shows leadership, then it should be very evident on the field. You should see progression over the course of multiple seasons, which is the case in a guy like Luck, Griffin, or Matt Ryan. It's why I eventually shifted my stance on Tyrod Taylor, because you could see better results on the field as a senior than you did in previous years. That's what was hard with Cam Newton, you only had 1 year to judge and you were really just taking a leap of faith on whether or not he was going to improve. And with Sanchez, you at least had a 1.5 years, but even then it was too big a leap, because he really hasn't grown much since his rookie year.

I want to see the same from Thomas this year. I don't expect him to be a completely finished product, but I'd like to see longer stretches during games where he's playing well, and longer stretches during the season where he's playing well. And if there is a dramatic leap from last year to this year in that regards, then I'd be prepared to roll the dice on him.

The good thing for Thomas and Tech is that I agree with you that Marcus Davis and DJ Coles should be 2 good options for him to throw to.

What the hell happened to Dyrell Roberts? He just fell off the face of the earth.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Where Boykin/Coale could ball as freshmen, but didn't have uber metrics. Davis/Coles are polar opposite, big ole freak mode metrics, but haven't been able to pass the above two on consistency. I think the early two playing WR in HS helped them best the latter two the last few seasons. You see more potential in the freak metric kids, but it takes them years to fully grasp the position to let it all loose.

Marcus Davis goes 6'4, 230 lbs and DJ Coles goes 6'3, 225 lbs. Both are plenty fast too. Coles kept getting more consistent the entire last year, and has awesome YAC ability. Davis is more of an enigma, b/c those metrics are straight from coach God. His vert is 42 inches and he looks like an adonis. I honestly think he got sorta complacent and thought he'd never supercede Boykin/Coale, which does tend to happen to depth chart "trapped" players sometimes. See VT's starting right/left tackles this year, Vinston Painter and Nic Becton. Both have nfl metrics (Painter is a FREAK), but had been buried behind long term starters. Well some kids turn it on when the lights shine (in realistic potential starters role), so here's hoping Davis can put it all together, cause we'll need him. I'm comfortable with Coles and Roberts.

Dyrell Roberts had a compartment syndrome injury to a quad early last year, then took a medical redshirt. Weird injury, but serious. He's pretty much back to normal, and will be in the #2/3 WR range, depending on package. He's a pretty smooth player, sorta shifty and fast. Used to return kicks, but I need to see where he's at returning to form.

Player that needs to be on your VT radar, Kyle Fuller, DB. Played Boundary CB, Field CB, Free Safety, Rover and Whip LB, all in one season, to near perfection. Kid is special (way outshined Hosley last year too).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:41 am 
Role Player
Role Player

I really, really, like Thomas' upside. Considering he was recruited as basically an H-back to Virginia Tech I though he played very well as the Hokies' starting QB. I truely believe he can be a Cam Newton like prospect with another year or two of coaching. I am very interested in seeing how he plays next season in the ACC.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Mel Kiper Jr.
‏ @MelKiperESPN Follow Following Unfollow Blocked Unblock Pending Cancel
Top players for 2013-Matt Barkley,QB,USC - Logan Thomas, QB, VT - Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU -Jarvis Jones, OLB, GA -David Amerson, CB, NC St

Quote:
Sean Bielawski
‏ @SeanBielawski Follow Following Unfollow Blocked Unblock Pending Cancel
Todd McShay says Logan Thomas reminds him of Ben Roethlisberger, and if he has a big year, Thomas could be the top pick of 2013 draft.

NWF, I would echo all your comments. Its hard to believe he's only played QB for two years. I think some of the "pistol" offense they are now installing with help him even more given his skill set. If you hear him talk, he plans on playing TWO more years (like a Luck). He wants to be great, not just good.

Whether its metrically or athletically, current or projecting a future ceiling, he's pretty poised to mash Matt Barkley. Honestly people still don't have a good handle on his true ceiling, cause he's sitll getting better all the time.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:47 pm 

It's just so hard for me to see Matt Barkley being the top QB picked next year because of how average his arm strength is. Not to mention, I've heard comparisons with him and Jimmy Clausen: http://draftace.com/blog/2011/11/18/cou ... aft-stock/

I could still see Barkley being a Top 5 pick, but not as the first QB taken off the board. If he is, I think it'll be more an indicator of a weaker class. Don't get me wrong, I think Barkley can be a solid to good NFL QB that reminds me of Matt Ryan in a lot of ways. But as was the case with Ryan, who basically didn't go #1 because a lot of people didn't think he had enough arm strength to be a "franchise QB" and I don't think Barkley's arm is as good as Ryan's. So unless that improves or USC goes 11-1 this year, it's hard for me to see him shaking that stigma esp. when all of the guys that could potentially be drafted after him all have stronger arms.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:21 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

If Logan Thomas is smart, he does stay in college past this season, if he gets two more seasons I could see him being regarded as an Andrew Luck type prospect, but if he plays as well as many of us expect this season I could see him slingshotting over everyone else in the 2013 draft and being the top pick. I like Barkley a lot (From November on I felt he was better than Luck and RG3 this past season) but I think Thomas, has a much brighter future because he hasn't gotten close to how good he can be, Barkley I do believe will be a successful NFL QB, but he wont be a 'savoir' like other projected top QBs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7876921

Kiper video on top 5 prospects next year. Mentions Barkley might not be 6'2, which can't help getting nitpicked predraft.

I'm gonna have to watch Amerson, CB NCSt this year, tech didn't play them last year so I'm not familiar. If he's better than Kyle Fuller then... :shock: . But Fuller is only a junior this coming year.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:58 pm 

I didn't scout him specifically, but I do remember them talking him up in a couple of the N.C. State games I saw this year and he made some big plays.

6-2 and had 13 picks last year as a sophomore, that'll get you on NFL radars. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:16 pm 

I was thinking about this earlier today in regards to Thomas NFL future. And I'm thinking he'll be a boom/bust prospect 12 months from now sort of in the same way with Jake Locker. As you may recall, before Locker's final year, there was a lot of projecting going on about how high Locker's ceiling was based off his limited experience as a pocket passer and how much growth he had shown in one year. Then in Locker's senior year, he didn't show the same level of improvement that many were projecting and he was ultimately reviewed as a raw, but immense talent.

I think a similar thing could happen with Thomas this year. There is going to be a lot of hype building as we go into this year, and the rumblings we hear now aren't going to compare with what they are in August.

And I think it's possible that a year from now, a lot of people could wind up being down on Thomas because he didn't show the sort of growth that all the hype was suggesting he could have. And it's not to suggest that he can't/won't live up to the expectations, but he's a guy that may have the misfortune of being compared (unfairly) to guys like Newton and RG3, and people may ultimately get down on him if he doesn't live up to their standard and people will overlook the fact that like Locker, in his own right, he's a pretty solid football player.

It's similar to the Eli Manning Syndrome i.e. You're Not Peyton, so Therefore you stink. And Eli had to get 2 Super Bowl rings before people by and large gave him the respect that he somewhat deserved all along.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:36 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Oh I agree and have def had that thought lately, that the hype train is already running a little too fast. Its the nature of football these days, drooling over metrics and potential, along with whatever the "next great thing" is gonna be. All those things are ingrained in American culture these days. Everyone has an opinion and is a prognosticator. Add to it the now year round nfl coverage, and football running away with American sports and it is what it is.

Thats why its so amazing when a Cam Newton actually lived up to the uber hype last year. Thats impressive.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Is- ... ewton.html

On a completely different level, this kid is the real deal imho. As long as he keeps grounded, and for whatever reason he really does seem grounded. I honestly think most of that is attributed to him being raised correctly, which makes a world of difference. I just read an article the other day about his mom and dad basically saying..."if he starts getting a big head she was gonna come to campus and knock it off". Basically joking about he better stay grounded. His comment was basically, yeah she would do it too.

Its been discussed that his numbers this year may simply be like last yr. Where everyone will want him to up them. Well the O is breaking in 4 new oline starters and all new (but semi-experienced) wr's and new rb's. He and the really good center Andrew Miller are the only returning starters on O. So he could play a LOT better, but his numbers not be much better if that makes sense.

I honestly think if he turns pro early, then he's the #1 pick. He really will mash Barkley on every level. What, other than maybe polish would he own over LT? Think about what we just went through, where all these draft prospects get boosted based on two things....potential and higher ceiling. Every nfl team thinks "their" coaching will bring out the remaining untapped talent. They'll look at this Xerxes clone and start frothing at the mouth. Happens every year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:32 pm 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog ... nning-camp

Matt Barkley, Tyler Bray, Logan Thomas and Tyler Wilson were among the QBs invited to the Manning Passing Academy, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The invitation-only Academy takes place at Nicholls State University in Thibodaux, La. in July, and the full list of invites has not been officially released. However, it's little surprise those four are expected to attend -- they are the top-four rated quarterbacks for 2013 in the early Top 750 ratings released by NFLDraftScout.com.

The college quarterbacks will serve as intructors for youth athletes who attend the camp, while also being tutored themselves by Peyton Manning and Eli Manning.

Bray, a junior at Tennessee, has met Peyton Manning before when the Volunteers legend has visited the campus. As a sophomore, Bray broke Manning's UT record for most consecutive games with at least one touchdown pass.

Tough break for Landry Jones, I guess.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't believe LT is attending, but I can't remember why?