6-0/238, 4.99; tough lead blocker that works well in short-yardage

CB Brandon Heaney (BYU)
5-11/185, 4.42; lacks size but has good speed and potential in man coverage

CB Byron Jones (Texas A&M)
5-10/182, 4.58; athletic playmaker

P Michael Koenen (Western Washington)
5-11/195, ??; strong-legged punter that has some experience as a kicker

WR Cole Magner (Bowling Green)
6-2/196, 4.65; has good hands and is a hard worker.

RB T.A. McLendon (N.C. State)
5-10/235, 4.77; lacks durability, but good pass catcher with quickness

QB Bryan Randall (Virginia Tech)
6-0/222, 4.78; athletic passer with good arm that just needs to develop upstairs

WR Hannibal Thomas (Cincinnati)
6-3/205, 4.68; good size and decent hands with YAC ability

WR Derrick Tinsley (Tennessee)
6-0/200, 4.53; good speed that can contribute as a return man.

I would say many of these guys are potential p-squad candidates, but I think only McLendon has a legitimate shot at making the roster. I like Randall, as he's improved a lot over the years. He's no stud but has a good arm, good mobility, and shows poise and presence in the pocket. I liked Jones as a true freshman when he was really impressive in A&M's bowl game (3 picks), but I guess he has shown little improvement from that time onward. At this point, from the little I know of these guys, it would seem Cucci, Thomas, Dudley, and Magner look like they can also push for p-squad jobs.

We also cut 3 guys: Jimmy Farris, Siddeeq Shabazz, and Steve Stewart. None of the cuts are too surprising. Farris was a solid player that excelled on special teams, but offered only marginal ability on special teams. The team knows that both Jenkins and Finneran are solid on ST and potentially White can be too, so Farris is unlikely to make the roster. It would seem that Magner seems similar to Farris. Shabazz was another mostly ST guy that had made few if any improvement defensively. He was a big hitter in college, but at this point, with Cory Hall back, and the team trying to make room for a guy like Pruitt, he seems unwarranted. Stewart stuck last year and played well enough to almost make the final roster, but I guess with Omiyale and Stokes added, he seems unnecessary.

These moves leave 3 roster spots open to fill at later dates. Well technically, we have 11 spots open if you include the 8 unsigned rookies.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Seems the falcons do this every year
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:40 pm 

I can't understand why the falcon's always bring in no name players that have not done alot in college.What I mean is look at the players still avaialble undrafted James Butler,Shazor and alot of others.But the falcon's choose to sign no name players that are lucky to make the practice squad.There are some players that you can strike lighting in a bottle.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:08 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

You can bet that those name players have something working against them in the rankings room. Shazor's problem is that he's not fast at all (4.75 at his pro day puts him in the DE range) and he's extremely one dimensional. I'll guarantee that eliminated him from consideration immediately with us...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:25 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Well scout, it really isn't about who the Falcons want. It's about who wants to come to Atlanta. Remember, the benefit of being undrafted is that you can pretty much choose where you want to go, and if you're highly sought (like I assume Shazor was), then you can even choose your salary.

Shazor signed with Arizona and obviously must have saw an opportunity to make the roster there. However, the Cardinals have been known to pay their UDFAs a bit more than most teams over the years, so it could have very well been the intrigue of a $15,000 or $20,000 signing bonus, which is about on par with a 7th round draft pick.

Profile E-mail