All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NCAA is a joke
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:54 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Penn State penalties: $60 million fine, 4-year bowl ban

By Colleen Kane Tribune reporter

8:32 a.m. CDT, July 23, 2012

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA delivered severe blows to Penn State and its football program Monday, further condemnations of the actions of university officials in the child sex-abuse scandal involving former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

At a morning news conference, NCAA president Mark Emmert announced that Penn State will be banned from bowl games for four years, will lose 10 football scholarships per year for four years and must pay $60 million in fines, which will go toward a fund for victims of child abuse. Penn State will be placed on probation for five years.

In addition, all of Penn State's victories from 1998 through 2011 will be vacated. Coach Joe Paterno's record will reflect the vacated victories, meaning he no longer will be recognized as the NCAA's all-time winningest coach.

Paterno won 409 games in 46 seasons as Penn State's coach.

“The Penn State case has provoked in all of us powerful emotions and shaken our confidence in many ways,” Emmert said. “After much debate, we concluded the sanctions needed to reflect our mission of cultural change. The actions already taken by the new chair of the board and the new president, have demonstrated a strong desire and determination by Penn State and the university to right these severe wrongs.”

Speaking of Sandusky's victims, Emmert said, "No matter what we do here today, there is no action we can take that will remove their pain and anguish. But what we can do is impose sanctions that both reflect the magnitude of these terrible acts and that also ensure that Penn State will rebuild an athletic culture that went horribly awry.

"Our goal is not to be just punitive, but to make sure the university establishes an athletic culture in which football will never again be placed ahead of educating, nurturing and protecting young people.

“The gut-check message is do we have the right balance in our culture?" Emmert said. "Or are we in a position where hero worship and winning at all costs has subordinated our core values?”

Penn State was not given the NCAA “death penalty,” a punishment that would have shut down the football program for a period of time and was championed by some.

The process by which Penn State is being punished steps outside the usual realm of NCAA enforcement. The NCAA typically investigates a potential major violation and sends a notice of allegations to the institution, which has 90 days to respond. The case usually moves toward a hearing in front of the Committee of Infractions, which releases a report on its findings 8-12 weeks after it reaches a conclusion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NCAA is a joke
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Too severe or not enough?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:38 pm 

Too severe. There's no reason for the NCAA to get involved here. Will they sanction other schools when members of their football program are involved in criminal activity? Will coaches be forced to vacate wins after they are arrested for DUIs?

But this is the epitome of hte ineptitude of the NCAA, and the political/corporate nature of our society. It's about the perception of doing the right thing, than actually doing the right thing. No different than Goodell's bounty sanctions.

Quote:
Our goal is not to be just punitive, but to make sure the university establishes an athletic culture in which football will never again be placed ahead of educating, nurturing and protecting young people.

That was already going to be the case with or without this punitive act by the NCAA. But now the NCAA can stand in front of a podium and say they did the right thing, when they didn't do squadoosh.

You mean an athletic culture that exists at nearly every major collegiate institution in this country where their athletic program, namely their football program generates a significant percentage of that school's revenue. And that these non-profit organizations that are meant to be institutions of higher learning in the very near future will be earning BILLIONS of dollars in revenue?

This is misdirected outrage. Unfortunately, people can't punish Joe Paterno, because he's dead. So they have to remove his statue, vacate wins, and hurt the future of the football team to get back at a dead man.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:00 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Too severe. There's no reason for the NCAA to get involved here. Will they sanction other schools when members of their football program are involved in criminal activity? Will coaches be forced to vacate wins after they are arrested for DUIs?

This is misdirected outrage. Unfortunately, people can't punish Joe Paterno, because he's dead. So they have to remove his statue, vacate wins, and hurt the future of the football team to get back at a dead man.

When I first heard this news, I had a conversation with my older brother who played college ball at the Univ of Cincy. I argued that I was cool with the NCAA decision except for the vacated wins.... Seems like punishing the players who won those games..He changed my mind.

In effect, his argument ( and the NCAA ) was that Grope Pa knew about Sandusky's proclivities, The Freeh report basically laid it out that Jo Pa knew, and to protect his football legacy and chances, did not do 'enough' to remedy the problem. If he would have done the 'right thing' it would have set his program back. So he covered it up. In that case, what they did was fair.

If a coach gets a DUI, no...Unless it's discovered his drinking helped his program, and he got repeated DUI's, and in the end drove into a bus full of kids. Then, you bet your sweet a$$ the hammer comes down. ( a bad analogy, but not that bad..)

This would be much worse if Paterno was alive. He should be thankful. They would have drug his sorry weak ass to court. The minute the Freeh report came out,.and Penn State accepted it: it was all over.

This isn't so much about punishing the Rape-ina Lions. It's about sending a message to the rest of the programs to make sure they dont have any creeps on staff, or at the very least, not on campus. They accomplished this, so it's totally fair. :snooty:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:02 pm 

You think that message wasn't already received by everything that happened in State College over the past 9 months? You think there was any program out there where an institution was knowingly harboring some sort of sex offender (or other criminal), and it wasn't until the NCAA sanctions on Penn State, that those programs got their acts and started to reexamine whether or not they were doing the right thing?

Look I get that the idea of Penn State just skating by over this without any punishment besides Sandusky going to jail, and maybe their president and AD going to some white-collar prison for a few years because of obstruction of justice didn't sit well with the public consciousness. Something had to be done, in the eyes of America.

But then the NCAA swoops in and says, "Hey guys, look we made things right!" No, you didn't. Vacating wins? OK, I don't really have a problem with that because that goes directly at Paterno. Bowl ban and losing scholarships, I'm a little iffy on both because now you're just punishing the people currently running the program that had nothing to do with it.

Some of this is a knee-jerk reaction. When the other perpetrators have their day in court, what happens if they are acquitted? I know it's highly unlikely that is the case, but if that was the case then the NCAA sanctions basically punished without cause.

Another part of it is my knowing how weak and pathetic the NCAA is when it comes to things like these. The NCAA would have been lucky to include 10% of the information in the Freeh Report in their own investigation. And so you make an example out of Penn State. OK. But yet if another school is breaking actual NCAA regulations or doing any Sandusky-level nefariousness, that the NCAA has no ability/capacity to actually catch and punish them.

If I was the Sports Czar, I would completely dissolve the NCAA and rebuild it from the ground up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:41 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
You think that message wasn't already received by everything that happened in State College over the past 9 months? You think there was any program out there where an institution was knowingly harboring some sort of sex offender (or other criminal), and it wasn't until the NCAA sanctions on Penn State, that those programs got their acts and started to reexamine whether or not they were doing the right thing?.

All I know is the Vatican suddenly 'relocated' some priests in the Penn area...Who knows? :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:40 am 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... dy-classes

Like I said, the NCAA is a joke.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/08/13/ ... ay-be.html

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/08/13/ ... letes.html

Quote:
Peppers' transcript might point to broader academic issues at UNC

Really? Now you think there might be a bigger issue?? :rofl: UNC has basically done the same thing as PSU, putting football over academic institutional control. NCSt and local papers won't quit with this witch hunt, which is awesome.

----

CHAPEL HILL -- During his years as an academic counselor in the athletic department at the University of North Carolina, Carl Carey Jr. worked with some of the most physically imposing members of the student body. Yet some of them, Carey says now, were “scared to death” of walking into a college classroom.

Now a professional sports agent and a teacher at a college in Texas, Carey worked from 1998 through 2002 as an academic counselor in the athletic department at UNC. He was one of two counselors who worked with the Tar Heels’ football team, and one of the players Carey counseled was former Tar Heels’ All-American Julius Peppers, whose UNC transcript was inexplicably available over the weekend on a UNC website.

“He played two sports, so that was atypical,” Carey said on Monday during a phone interview about Peppers, who also played basketball at UNC. “So it was really double duty, you know. But certainly, in my time at the university, I counseled many overwhelmed student-athletes. Overwhelmed.”

Peppers was among those overwhelmed, according to the transcript. A link to an academic record with Peppers’ name circulated on Internet message boards and Twitter late Sunday night and early Monday morning, before UNC blocked access.

Officials wouldn’t confirm that the transcript belonged to Peppers, but they acknowledged that it belonged to a former student. Carey, who now represents Peppers, an all-pro defensive end with the Chicago Bears, would neither confirm nor deny that the transcript belonged to Peppers.

According to the transcript, Peppers had a 1.82 grade point average after his junior year, majoring in African and Afro-American Studies. He received D’s or F’s in 11 of the 27 classes that clearly listed a letter grade. He did not graduate, according to the university.

A Bears spokesman said Monday that Peppers wouldn’t comment on his transcript, and a member of the NCAA media relations staff said minimum eligibility requirements during Peppers’ playing years weren’t immediately available.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:33 pm 

But I do think it's interesting that eventually the NCAA will catch up and lay the hammer down on UNC. But they'll act like UNC was the only place out there cheating, when stuff like this happens all the time.

When I was in college at Pitt, I used to mess around with a girl that used to tutor the football players (including a current Arizona Cardinal WR). And when she told me this, I was shocked. To be a full-time student at Pitt (and most colleges) you have to take 12 academic hours (i.e. 4 classes) each semester, and most take about 15 (i.e. 5 classes). But NCAA rules indicate that to remain eligible to play for your sport, you only have to pass 2 of those classes. I get that given that players and athletes have to split their time academically and athletically means that they should have a bit laxer academic requirements.

But the point I'm getting at is that you have a nation-wide system that if a top player like Peppers is struggling in some of his classes, and you can get him enrolled in a class like "Independent Studies," then why not? The idea that UNC is the only school that does this, is just naive.

UNC has gotten caught, and they deserve to be punished, don't get me wrong. but what is going to happen is the NCAA will eventually come down hard on UNC, and then turn a blind eye to the other 120 schools that basically get away with the same thing.

UNC is one of the top academic institutions in the country. But to maintain that reputation, along with getting some of the best athletic talent around over the past decade, they tend to be a bit lax with enforcing such academic excellence with football players.

People will label UNC as dirty. No, dirty isn't the word. Sloppy is the word. Sloppy because they got caught. :|

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
People will label UNC as dirty. No, dirty isn't the word. Sloppy is the word. Sloppy because they got caught.

Well put! I hope they hammer them into the stone age personally.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm not sure what took two whole years, but now the national media is ALL OVER THIS story. Everything I said over two years ago has finally come to fuition, and rightfully so. Everyone is blasting them, esp Doyle from CBS. Its already being called the biggest academic scandal EVER. Which is was two years ago, but nobody cared. Even there own bloggers seem to have had enough. Meanwhile, cricket chirps over in ncaa lala land. Plus the ncaa is already getting SLAMMED for not uncovering what the media, papers and NCSt msg board fan uncovered. Heating up :clap: !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:05 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -reckoning

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:11 pm 

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... sanctions/

Tom Corbett is not the person to be challenging the NCAA on PSU sanctions

Posted by Ben Kercheval on January 2, 2013, 2:58 PM EST

Reuters
Before July, 2012, there was essentially one looming question to the Jerry Sandusky scandal at Penn State: how could a serial pedophile be allowed to prey on his victims for years using the university’s athletic facilities without being stopped? That is what the Freeh Report, created by PSU, attempted to answer.

Then, on July 23, the NCAA, and specifically president Mark Emmert, added a new dimension to the Penn State story by introducing unprecedented steps to punish the football program swiftly and severely. Penn State was fined $60 million from the NCAA, subjected to a four-year bowl ban and stripped of dozens of scholarships over that same time period.

By doing so, Emmert and the Association warped a criminal case into a football one, and the focus of the Sandusky scandal has been wrongly shifted to whether or not 1) Penn State deserved the sanctions and 2) the NCAA stepped outside its jurisdiction. The NCAA’s involvement alone was met with mixed reviews; the decision to bypass the normal investigative script to come up with a consent decree was criticized more heavily.

If anybody’s visited CFT long enough, you know I’ve been one of those critics. The attention should have been, and should still be, on the victims, bringing those who could have done more and failed to do so to justice — Penn State president Graham Spanier, vice president Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley are currently awaiting a preliminary hearing next week on charges related to the Sandusky scandal; Sandusky has been sentenced to a minimum of 30 years in prison for his crimes — and making sweeping changes to ensure nothing like this ever happens at Penn State again.

The NCAA not only made the Sandusky case about itself, but bent the interpretation of its own rulebook rhetoric to the point of breaking in the process. So I have no problem with the NCAA being challenged for taking action in a case larger than what the organization was capable of handling.

But that task should not come from Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett.

Never mind the obvious political grandstanding. That’s way too obvious to merit a response. What Corbett is doing is not only hypocritical, but laughable. Recall this quote from Corbett following the NCAA’s sanctions against Penn State:

“The appalling actions of a few people have brought us once again into the national spotlight. We have taken a monster off the streets and while we will never be able to repair the injury done to these children, we must repair the damage to this university.

“Part of that corrective process is to accept the serious penalties imposed today by the NCAA on Penn State University and its football program.”

Five months later, Corbett’s leading a federal antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA and it stinks something fierce.

But the real problem is that Corbett is waist deep (or higher) in the muck of the Sandusky scandal. He’s been accused of dragging his feet in the Sandusky case while serving as Pennsylvania’s attorney general until 2011. It was also Corbett who approved a $3 million grant for the Second Mile, Sandusky’s charity. Sandusky used the charity for years to target his victims and Corbett’s tenure as AG suggests he was aware of some fishiness.

Then, there’s the lawsuit itself, which you can view HERE. If the complaint was filed with only the intent of keeping PSU’s $60 million fine with in-state organizations, then Corbett might have some footing. An attempt to toss the sanctions against Penn State because the NCAA violated antitrust laws could be much harder to prove and could take a long time to do so. The fact is that Penn State signed the consent decree last summer and could still agree to the sanctions moving forward. It should be noted again that Penn State is not involved in this lawsuit.

NCAA expert John Infante, whom we cite often when it comes to matters related to the NCAA, feels the suit will be resolved quickly.

John Infante@John_Infante
I thought Corbett’s lawsuit was a heavy-handed negotiating tactic to keep fine in PA and even that seems optimistic now.
2 Jan 13 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Corbett may have a case against the NCAA, but all current signs point to the contrary. If anything, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania vs. the NCAA may serve as a future example of how to deal with the NCAA at a university level if it ever decides to pursue sanctions in a similar fashion again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 pm 

Seriously Obama, get rid of the NCAA!

This whole Miami thing proves that this "institution" is perhaps the most worthless thing on the planet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:58 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

USC...OhioSt...UNC...Miami...

Fill in whoever next, b/c the ncaa having any clue train derailed well over 2-3 years ago.