It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chargers could be without Gaither
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:37 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Given that Jared Gaither hasn't played since the beginning of training camp due back problems (similar to Marcus McNeill), the Chargers are expected to give rookie LT Mike Harris the gig until he's ready. Since we play them Week 3, I'm assuming we'll be able to take advantage of this. John Abraham, look out.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/sports/ ... 89126.html

Chargers Make A Big Gamble
Rookie Assigned To Protect Franchise QB
By Derek Togerson
| Sunday, Sep 2, 2012 | Updated 9:18 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Chargers Make A Big Gamble

Getty Images

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - AUGUST 30: Philip Rivers #17 of the San Diego Chargers drops back to pass in the first quarter against the San Francisco 49ers during an NFL pre-season football game at Candlestick Park on August 30, 2012 in San Francisco, California. (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)

Jared Gaither is 6'9" tall and weighs 335 pounds. He's a hard guy to miss.

So if you don't see number 78 in the stretching line at Chargers practice, it's not because you just couldn't see him. It's because he wasn't there.

That's become an alarming, recurring occurrence at the Charges practice facility. Gaither, who signed a 4-year, $24 million contract in the off-season, hasn't played since the first day of training camp, back on July 26, due to back problems.

So, the starting left tackle job falls to Mike Harris. The undrafted rookie from UCLA will be protecting Philip Rivers' blind side until Gaither is healthy again. In the pre-season Harris had moments where he looked good, and others where he looked like a rookie. The question is, when the games start counting, can he have more of the former and less of the latter?

"You're just gotta go with what you see, what you trust, and what you believe," said head coach Norv Turner. "I like what our left tackle's done. He's just gotta hold down the fort until we get Gaither back."

Rivers will always tell you he has complete confidence in the guys in front of him, which he probably does. He really doesn't have any other choice.

However, there's a reason left tackle is, on average, the highest-paid position in the NFL. Quarterbacks are the highest-paid, so you'd better have some darn good players keeping them safe.

In 2012, Harris will make $390,000. This year Rivers' base salary pays him $637,500. Per game.

I don't know if that means Philip is in trouble, but I do hope the old saying "You get what you pay for" is horribly wrong.

Source: Chargers Make A Big Gamble | NBC 7 San Diego

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Chargers could be without Gaither
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

My playoff pick of putting the Chargers as a wild card team looks even worse now. The chat better be packed for Week 3 so I could say "The Predator" after every sack.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:36 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I know I wanted us to sign Gaither, even with his injury history and motivation problems. Glad I'm not the GM.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:31 am 

Nuccah wrote:
I know I wanted us to sign Gaither, even with his injury history and motivation problems. Glad I'm not the GM.

Well, if you had signed Gaither and he had the back problems flare up again, then hopefully you would have been smart enough to retain Baker and Svitek just in case. If so, maybe you're not as bad a GM as you think...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:44 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pudge wrote:
Nuccah wrote:

Well, if you had signed Gaither and he had the back problems flare up again, then hopefully you would have been smart enough to retain Baker and Svitek just in case. If so, maybe you're not as bad a GM as you think...

The back problem is just a sign of a bigger issue with him. He coasts once he gets paid.

I think we would all be screaming for our GMs head in this scenario, as Gaither was guaranteed 13.5 of his 26.4m contract.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:05 pm 

Yeah, the Chargers made a mistake with that contract. I believe that the first two years base salary are guaranteed (total of $5.5 million) plus an $8 million signing bonus.

Gaither looked solid over that last month of the season, but his back has been an issue in the past, and you can't go around handing out $8 million signing bonus based off 5 games. Baltimore sorta did the same with Foxworth a few years back, although of course his injury problems only came after he signed the deal.

But with a player like Gaither, who we haven't seen play at a high level for a while now due to back injuries, you can't guarantee more than like $4 or 5 million as part of a new deal. You have to make up the rest with like option bonuses and incentives.

TD gives out a lot of bad contracts, but at least his players still manage to play on the field...even if they are mediocre.

Profile E-mail