It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Smitty is Kind of a Jackass w/ Comments like these
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:05 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25757
Location: North Carolina
http://blog.atlantafalcons.com/jayadams ... t-for-now/

Falcons Keeping Starters Quiet for Now
Jay Adams
Published September 3, 2012 at 3:59 PM

After a weekend of cuts and transactions, head coach Mike Smith anticipated the questions he’d get from the media Monday afternoon after a brief practice. Before any reporters could pose a question, Smith preempted them, saying that he would not release the names of any starters for Sunday’s game against Kansas City.

“Have we decided on who’s going to be the starting (right) guard, and who’s going to start at the corner position?” Smith asked rhetorically. “Come to the game on Sunday and see. We’re not going to discuss it, simply because I don’t want to give a competitive advantage to our opponent.”

Image

That includes any other position in question, too — namely punt returner.

With Dominique Franks waived during the weekend’s cuts, Smith said Monday he has three players in mind who can take over those duties for the regular season, but would not divulge which players he has lined up for the job.

“We’ll trot that guy out there, hopefully on the first series that we’re out there on defense,” Smith said. “I don’t mean to be non-transparent, but I don’t think it gives us any advantage to talk about who’s going to play in what positions in our opening game.”

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smitty is Kind of a Jackass w/ Comments like these
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:26 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4190
Really tired of this. Sure, it's not going to give us a competitive advantage to say who will be starting, but we don't exactly have any players on the OL that people need to game plan for. Similarly, it doesn't really matter who starts at CB from a game planning perspective. Everyone in the NFL knows that they're going to have to contend with Grimes, Samuels, and Robinson. Which two are on the field for the first snap doesn't make a lick of difference.

And regarding punt returning... Give me a break. Near as I can tell, we don't have anyone on staff who strikes fear into the hearts of special teams coordinators. Perhaps Julio Jones, but I wouldn't have him returning punts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smitty is Kind of a Jackass w/ Comments like these
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:38 pm 
Offline
Playmaker
Playmaker

Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:51 pm
Posts: 378
Location: Estepona, Spain
Does it matter besides feeding our curiosity?

If Smith doesn't want to tell us who the starter is until game day, that's fine by me. Knowing who is starting where, especially at corner, is definitely a big deal as far as game planning.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smitty is Kind of a Jackass w/ Comments like these
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:03 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4190
Nuccah wrote:
Does it matter besides feeding our curiosity?

If Smith doesn't want to tell us who the starter is until game day, that's fine by me. Knowing who is starting where, especially at corner, is definitely a big deal as far as game planning.

Well, that's just it... It is OUR team. Without the fans, there would be no NFL. It's true that Blank pays the bills, and the players play... But players, coaches, and owners come and go... The fans are always going to be there. When Smitty does this, he's not hiding things from other teams, he's not giving the Falcons a competitive advantage. He's giving the fans the middle finger.

If he had said, "We're still evaluating the roster to best utilize our personnel," that would be one thing. But he basically told us, "I don't have to answer your questions." He doesn't have to. But that doesn't mean that I have to like it.

With regards to the starting corner, it really doesn't matter given our scheme. The team has said that they will be moving things around in the secondary. So even if so and so is the starter, by the 2nd play, it could be someone else.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smitty is Kind of a Jackass w/ Comments like these
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:51 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4474
If not giving this info, gives us any advantage in any game we are screwed......

Coach Smith is toast after this season!! He's done a great job but Blank is pressuring everyone to be better than we are; Blank will end up with another disappointment!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smitty is Kind of a Jackass w/ Comments like these
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:15 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2100
Location: Deepinthehearta
RobertAP wrote:
Nuccah wrote:
Does it matter besides feeding our curiosity?

If Smith doesn't want to tell us who the starter is until game day, that's fine by me. Knowing who is starting where, especially at corner, is definitely a big deal as far as game planning.

Well, that's just it... It is OUR team. Without the fans, there would be no NFL. It's true that Blank pays the bills, and the players play... But players, coaches, and owners come and go... The fans are always going to be there. When Smitty does this, he's not hiding things from other teams, he's not giving the Falcons a competitive advantage. He's giving the fans the middle finger.

If he had said, "We're still evaluating the roster to best utilize our personnel," that would be one thing. But he basically told us, "I don't have to answer your questions." He doesn't have to. But that doesn't mean that I have to like it.

With regards to the starting corner, it really doesn't matter given our scheme. The team has said that they will be moving things around in the secondary. So even if so and so is the starter, by the 2nd play, it could be someone else.



It is not OUR team. It is Blank's team as you said. You want to do things different, get you self a couple of billion dollars and buy your own team. What matters is on the field. If they win, they could be silent as monks for all I care.

W

_________________
Fantasy League Champion 2010
Pick Em Co-Champion 2011

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smitty is Kind of a Jackass w/ Comments like these
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:24 am 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25757
Location: North Carolina
I think it's silly. If you think that not divulging whether Konz/Reynolds is the right guard, or Toone/Douglas is the punt returner, or Robinson/Samuel is the nickel corner, gives you a competitive advantage, then you're probably not too bright...

But let's say for the sake of argument, it does give you a very miniscule advantage over your opponents. It's so small in fact that the thought you may need that small competitive advantage is actual pretty pathetic.

Yeah, it's Smitty's right and prerogative to make those statements, but it doesn't stop him from being a jackass. It's like I've said before with the freedom of speech, your right to speak your mind is protected, but you can't the 1st Amendment isn't a shield from you to say idiotic things. Your words have to stand on their own merit to avoid derision and scrutiny. If you say something stupid, it will be judged so regardless of any rights you have.

Smitty is being stupid. But he has every right to be... :roll:

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smitty is Kind of a Jackass w/ Comments like these
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:04 pm 
Offline
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:07 pm
Posts: 20
While most of this discussion falls into the "who gives a s***" category, I agree with one of the positions.

Assuming Grimes is starting on his side, then the difference in your #2 and #3 WR having to prepare to face Samuel or Robinson is actually kind of a big deal.

If you assume that Samuel ends up on the opposite side and you scheme for that just to find press covereage on that side, it could screw with your game plan.

Thus the best coaches can not only scheme but can adjust during a game to the gameplan of the opponent.

I say...tell what doesn't matter (Konx/Reynolds) but keep what could (Robinson/Samuel).


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smitty is Kind of a Jackass w/ Comments like these
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:44 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6147
Location: Planet Claire
Nuccah and Wease nailed it .It most assuredly is not our team. God, did you really say that Robt? And what does Sith have to gain by divulging this now other than making it easier for Ledbetter to meet a deadline or us losers on a message board to post? If it makes one millionth of one percent difference toward the positive he should do it. He's gonna blow your minds when Davis trots on to the field and the offense huddles around him! :shock:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smitty is Kind of a Jackass w/ Comments like these
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:51 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3091
:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smitty is Kind of a Jackass w/ Comments like these
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:41 pm 
Offline
Playmaker
Playmaker

Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:51 pm
Posts: 378
Location: Estepona, Spain
Pudge wrote:
I think it's silly. If you think that not divulging whether Konz/Reynolds is the right guard, or Toone/Douglas is the punt returner, or Robinson/Samuel is the nickel corner, gives you a competitive advantage, then you're probably not too bright...

But let's say for the sake of argument, it does give you a very miniscule advantage over your opponents. It's so small in fact that the thought you may need that small competitive advantage is actual pretty pathetic.

Yeah, it's Smitty's right and prerogative to make those statements, but it doesn't stop him from being a jackass. It's like I've said before with the freedom of speech, your right to speak your mind is protected, but you can't the 1st Amendment isn't a shield from you to say idiotic things. Your words have to stand on their own merit to avoid derision and scrutiny. If you say something stupid, it will be judged so regardless of any rights you have.

Smitty is being stupid. But he has every right to be... :roll:


I agree that there is little difference in the starting right guard or punter returner.

However, whether Robinson or Asante is the starting corner in our base defense IS a big deal. Everyone with half a brain knows Robinson will be the nickelback, but whether he is on the field instead of Asante in the 4-3 is huge as far as game planning. Both coverage wise (you know you can target Robinson much more often) and in the running game (as Asante is the worst tackler in the NFL).

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smitty is Kind of a Jackass w/ Comments like these
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:18 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25757
Location: North Carolina
No, it doesn't make a difference.

In the preseason, Grime was the LCB in the base package, and Robinson the RCB. In nickel situations, Samuel came in at LCB, Grimes flipped to RCB, and Robinson moved into the slot. That makes Samuel the nickel back.

The idea that other teams don't know this is just a reflection on Smitty's own intelligence. As an offense, you're going to prepare for that. And guess what happens, if the Falcons throw in a wrinkle and have Samuel start instead of Robinson or play on the opposite side of the field, it's not going to make an iota of difference.

There's a thing called audibles and in-game adjustments. And if you're thinking that adjustment is worthwhile, then you like Mike Smith is an idiot. It's not going to make a world of difference. It's not like if Samuel lines up on the right side or the left side is going to suddenly prevent the Chiefs from running certain packages on the field.

This notion of "gamesmanship" is so stupid. We accept it from Belichick because he's been doing it for over a decade. But it's equally dumb, but has been happening so long we accept it. But when Smitty and these other coaches try to pull the same thing, it just looks silly and stupid if you ask me.

Man up, and don't use these silly and pointless mindgames to try and get a competitive advantage that does not exist.

I bet if they asked Smitty what color boxers he was wearing on Sunday, he would decline answering for fear of his opponent getting a competitive advantage.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smitty is Kind of a Jackass w/ Comments like these
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:47 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3091
Quote:
I bet if they asked Smitty what color boxers he was wearing on Sunday, he would decline answering for fear of his opponent getting a competitive advantage.


They better be red and black.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  


cron