It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Week 2 Denver Peytons Game Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:25 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I know everyone's watching (or watched) the Sunday night game to scout out the Broncos...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Week 2 Denver Peytons Game Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:27 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Other than San Fran, I think it's hard to pick two teams that looked more impressive than Atlanta and Denver today. I was very impressed with Peyton, he looks 100%. Gonna be a great game!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:58 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

The Falcons have GOT to run the ball better in this game. Not even 100 yards rushing between 3 backs is horrid, even if we did pass the ball 31 times. They looked almost putrid yesterday running the ball.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:01 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Confess_Jesus_Now wrote:
The Falcons have GOT to run the ball better in this game. Not even 100 yards rushing between 3 backs is horrid, even if we did pass the ball 31 times. They looked almost putrid yesterday running the ball.

Oh yeah, and STOP the run better on defense.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:50 am 

CJN, I think you said it. The Falcons are going to adopt "Peyton Rules" for this game based off how solid he looked vs. the Steelers. They are going to control the clock and play keep away. Or at least I'm 100% sure that would have been the plan with last year's team and coaches.

I think this year's will take a similar approach, I'm just not completely convinced of it.

Our running game is mediocre at best, so IMHO this year any gameplan that is going to require us to be effective on the ground is going to be a gameplan that fails. You cannot rely on Michael Turner at this point in his career, nor this weak O-line that only has 1 good 1 on 1 run blocker up front (Blalock), to be able to get the job done when push comes to shove.

Now the Broncos were weak up the middle last year, and it was a big question mark this year. Well based off what I saw vs. Pittsburgh, I think they found a potential answer in Derek Wolfe. Wolfe is a big, powerful high motor guy that is the type of guy that can give players like Garrett Reynolds potential fits. I don't want to see another Henry Melton situation.

So if the running game fails, then the Falcons will have to rely on the screen game to slow down the Broncos pass rush. But how effective are screens when the opposing teams know they're coming. In fact, screens moreso than most other plays require deceit to be successful.

And depending on how much the running game and the screen game is a factor in their gameplan, IMO will determine whether they win or not. Because if it's a large part, in fact the majority of your plan, then if it doesn't work (and it probably won't), then your gameplan immediately became 51+% less effective i.e. you're going to lose now.

But of course, me saying all that probably means Michael Turner runs for 142 and 2 TDs... :lol:

But anyway, IMHO, what gameplan the Falcons put in place against the Broncos will be a truer litmus test of how much different this year's offense is to past Falcon offenses. With specific mind to how much the running game is featured this week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:50 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
But anyway, IMHO, what gameplan the Falcons put in place against the Broncos will be a truer litmus test of how much different this year's offense is to past Falcon offenses. With specific mind to how much the running game is featured this week.

Also, this is going to be a tue litmus test for Nolan. Even with a 100% healthy Grimes, D Thomas this game would be a 'challenge'..And now Owens is going to have to stpe up:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracke ... ns-preview

"While Week 1 for the offense couldn't have gone better for Atlanta, the Falcons lost star cornerback Brent Grimes to a season-ending Achilles injury.

Christopher Owens, one of the players expected to have to step up with Grimes out, is looking forward to facing Manning.

"This is like facing Mike Tyson in a 12-round bout, but I'm excited for the opportunity," Owens said. "It's unfortunate what happened with Grimes, but the next man's got to step up, and that's the mentality you've got to have with this team."

This is the first meeting between these clubs since Denver's 24-20 road win Nov. 16, 2008, when then-rookie Ryan threw for 250 yards, no touchdowns and one interception.

That was one of only four losses in 30 career regular-season home games for Ryan."

Monday night games always scare the crap outta me. I think after last weeks cakewalk, the Falcons come crashing back to Earth. If we win, it's going to be close and ugly. :so:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:08 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

There was no bigger signing in the offseason than the Denver Broncos risking everything to ink a quarterback in Peyton Manning that was coming off a missed 2011 season and multiple surgeries to his damaged neck.

After leading the team to a 31-19 win over the always-tough Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 1, Manning has proven that he is back. While he may not have the same zip on his passes, the years of studying the game has made the transition into the twilight of his career easy to handle.

Now, Manning faces his biggest test so far against the potent Atlanta Falcons. While their team defense is mediocre at best, the Atlanta offense will put up big points.

Peyton will not only have to keep up with the Falcons, he will have to outplay them; a task that will be tough to handle.

Passing Yards

Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

With a secondary that is full of overrated players, Peyton Manning will take great joy in picking apart the cornerback tandem of Asante Samuel and Dunta Robinson. Both Robinson and Samuel are risk/reward corners and will bite on the superior pump-faking of Manning.

After testing the waters last week on going deep, fans should expect Manning to unleash a few bombs on Monday night to send a clear message to the AFC West and the entire NFL; Peyton is back.

As a fantasy owner, we are always looking for the total yards from a QB, and Manning will not disappoint. Peyton and his 300+ yards this week is a must start in every style league.

Touchdowns

Justin Edmonds/Getty Images

The hardest statistic to predict for any quarterback is touchdowns, but Manning has been very consistent over his career. If you start Peyton Monday, you should expect at least two touchdowns from the veteran.

While it is hard to predict more than two, the weaknesses in the secondary for the Falcons and the lack of pass-coverage coming out of the linebacker group should have the Broncos controlling the clock and the tempo of the game.

If Manning can find his rhythm early and dictate the pace of the game, three touchdowns will become very likely. Either way, Peyton is a safe pick for Monday Night Football.

Conclusion

Justin Edmonds/Getty Images

While there is no doubting that Peyton Manning isn’t the same quarterback he was before his multiple neck surgeries, he has adapted well and looks to still be one of the elite QBs in the league.

The Broncos know exactly what they will get from the star every snap, and his health is not an issue in Denver. It appears the risk of signing him and trading away last year’s playoff hero, Tim Tebow, has paid off handsomely for the team.

If Manning can stay out of trouble on Monday night and protect the ball, the tough Broncos defense will set up the future Hall of Famer to steal the show and win the game outright for his team.

Final Line: 25-of-31 for 323 yards and three touchdowns.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1336 ... vs-falcons :whistle:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:51 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Interesting start to the game.

I thought with Grimes out the secondary might be vulnerable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:53 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

So far, our off-season pickup of the year is Mike Nolan. Wow.

Edit : I went back and watched the highlights a couple of times and it's a case of our secondary was where they needed to be and played well, and Payton just made some POOR throws. Even being a young Payton, you'd have to rifle into the places he was trying to put it.