It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Never to early to look at the draft for the Falcons
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:16 am 

It's never to early to look at possible prospects for the Falcons in the draft.I know it's way to early to even think about who will come out to enter the draft and prospects going up and down draft boards but since I have some extra time I've been looking at some prospects. Over at Walterfootball.com I noticed Walter has Barrett Jones (guard/tackle going to the Falcons in the first and John Simon from Ohio State def end in the 2nd. I'm certainly not against building the off line even more to protect Ryan. Jones seems like a prospect who is multidimensionial which is very valuable in the pros. Again I would not be disappointed in Jones if the Falcons took him in the first.

Another prospect that wouldn't surprise me in the first is Tyler Eifert from Notre Dame. We see what the Falcon's offense is capable of when you have highly skilled players at skill positions. If Gonzo retires that will leave a big void. Eifert seems like he'll be an excellent tight end in the pros.

I know this is wishful thinking but if a player like Notre Dame's Manti Te'o slides I believe he would be an excellent fit for the defense. I really don't think the Falcons have the answer with players on the roster now. Inside linebacker especially one who can cover tight ends and be a good all around player is needed. Inside linebacker isn't a glamor position and many times teams draft one later however I think Te'o is to good to pass up if he drops to the Falcons.

Obviously def end is a huge need for the Falcon's. The only player I see who could be there (again speculation very early) could be Alex Okafor.This seems to be a weak def end class and I would not force the pick just because we need a def end. Walter has John Simon from Ohio State in the 2nd round for the Falcon's. He's a high end motor player which is something I believe TD likes in his players. I think a def end will be drafted in the 1st 2 rounds for the Falcons but the question is who.

It's going to be hard to keep track of the prospects which is why I come to Pudge's board. In his infinite wisdom(Pudge) I can get a better picture of who is doing what in the college game. I say this since I'll be over in Europe and South America the next 5 months or so and won't get off the ship probably till draft time.Keeping track of the players is very difficult since there aren't many games televised.

Whoever TD drafts we need to be potential star players. The talent level needs upgraded especially on the def side of the ball.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Never to early to look at the draft for the Falcons
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:37 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

If I was a betting man, I would bet that ultimately the Falcons will use their 2013 top pick on a tight end. TD is a need-based drafter and if you assume Gonzo retires and the Falcons don't pursue a top level free agent, then eir biggest need at least from their perspective will be tigh end because that player will immediately be expected to start which generally has been a prerequisite for our top pick each year. It was surprising that Konz did not begin the season as the starter.

I'd love to see the Falcons go after a pass rusher as this draft seems loaded with them at the top assuming many of the juniors come out. A question the Falcons will have to answer is whether or not they target a tweener type due to their quasi-hybrid defense. That will open up more possibilities in Rounds 1 and 2. But given Biermann's role, a more traditional DE type is likely.

As for an inside linebacker, the only point to drafting one high is selecting someone that you believe can be a top three-down player. That usually requires a Top 50 pick.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Never to early to look at the draft for the Falcons
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:54 pm 

Pudge, it wouldn't surprise me if the Falcon's went tight end in the first namely Eifert if availavble. Is there a big drop off between him and the 2nd tight end? The reason I say tight end would be a high priority is it took TD awhile to have the skilled players to give the offense a strong unit. When teams think of the Falcons they think how are we going to stop the offense with so many skilled players. Not having a good tight end would certainly take away from the potentcy of the offense.

You always want to take the best player to fill a need.Def end, tight end. off line, linebacker are certainly needs as well as running back. TD really needs to step up his efforts in acquiring higher ceiling talent. Running back is an easier position to fill then other positions. Some how we need to find a running back that is a threat in the passing game and running game. I don't know how deep the positions are but that certainly will matter come draft time. I just don't want TD to over draft a player.He seems to do it to much thus the Falcons have missed out on some good players.

I'd say def end and tight end are at the top of our needs the most. I think the Falcons need to do a better job in signing some free agents. Every year they stay away from the really good players. I can understand since free agent players are vastly overpaid and teams who over spend will sooner or later have to deal with cap issues. The key to drafting well is to find gems throughout the draft. It's very difficult but if the Falcons hope to be elite for a number of years better drafts and free agent signings are needed.

Profile E-mail