It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Would you be interested????
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... son-babin/

Eagles cut Jason Babin

Posted by Josh Alper on November 27, 2012, 3:17 PM EST

AP
DeSean Jackson isn’t the only player who has played his final game for the Eagles this season.

The team announced that they have cut defensive end Jason Babin. The news comes as something of a surprise, although Babin wasn’t expected to remain with the team after this season. He signed a five-year, $27.725 million contract with the team before last season, more than $16 million of which was set to come in the next three years.

Babin made good on that deal with 18 sacks last season, but, like many other Eagles, his play has gone sharply south this year. He has 5.5 sacks this year and seen his playing time cut as a result. He’s also gone public with his dislike for what’s coming out of the mouths of Eagles fans during home games, leading to a rebuke from former Eagles linebacker Jeremiah Trotter.

“We appreciate everything that Jason has given this team over the last couple of years. We wish him all the best as he continues his career,” coach Andy Reid said in a statement released by the team. “By releasing him today, this gives us an opportunity to give more playing time to some of younger guys in the defensive line rotation.”

Second-round pick Vinny Curry is one of the young players who should see a boost with Babin out of the picture. He was active for the first time this season on Monday night against Carolina.

While Babin has underperformed this season, a team headed to the playoffs might take a shot on claiming him off waivers, or signing him once he clears, in hopes of boosting their pass rush. He’s picked up sacks in each of the last two weeks and, as mentioned, isn’t far removed from a season with plenty of them.

Would you be interested in taking a chance on Babin for a playoff run????

Post subject: Re: Would you be interested????
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

At 32, he's at the end, but I wouldn't mind bringing him in on passing downs, although to be honest I doubt he's better than Biermann.

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:17 pm 

I would bring him in although the Falcons have many other teams ahead of them to try and get Babin. We could make the money work but do we even get a shot at him? We aren't getting much of a pass rush now. Babin is one year removed from an 18 sack season so there has to be a reason why he declined so much. Wrong system?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If we could get him cheap it's a no brainer, but I don't think that will happen, someone will bite and pay more than he's worth at this age.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:05 am 
Superstar
Superstar

If he went unclaimed off waivers then the Falcons should be on the phone. He stated shortly after his release that he wanted to play for a winner so I think a 10-1 Atlanta team with alot of available snaps opposite of JA55 would be attractive. If no one puts in a claim for him we shall see if that statement about playing for a winner rings true. From a scheme standpoint it would be nice to have a package with JA55 at RE and Babin at LE and the Beer-man at LB (used primarily as a blitzing backer).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:20 am 

I think Babin would get paid the league minimum since the Eagles already paid most of his contract but I could be wrong.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:48 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Atlanta is reportedly not interested, which is disappointing. Babin would be a great addition and it could make a difference. I don't see much risk in it either but Atlanta is content. Let's just hope Babin doesn't come to NFC like Chicago because that could come back to haunt Atlanta.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:12 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Emmitt wrote:
Atlanta is reportedly not interested, which is disappointing. Babin would be a great addition and it could make a difference. I don't see much risk in it either but Atlanta is content. Let's just hope Babin doesn't come to NFC like Chicago because that could come back to haunt Atlanta.

http://phillysportsnut.com/eagles-cut-j ... -the-move/

Jason Babin; recently released by the Eagles, is on his way to visit the Atlanta Falcons tonight. Following that visit he will visit the New Orleans Saints Wednesday morning followed by the Denver Broncos Wednesday evening. Assuming that Babin is not claimed on waiver these teams can renegotiate his contract.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:36 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Stupid D-Led fooling me, Pudge tell your best friend to stop posting false information :naughty: Anyway thats pretty cool, funny that New Orleans has to be right behind Atlanta. If Babin was wise, he'd realize that they only have four games left because they won't be making the playoffs. Hopefully he comes to Atlanta, because good lord if he goes to Denver they might become the AFC's version of the giants with that pass rush.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I've read that Babin hasn't always been the best teammate in the locker room....could be a reason that he was the first to go mid-season. Just something to keep in the back of your mind...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:17 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
I've read that Babin hasn't always been the best teammate in the locker room....could be a reason that he was the first to go mid-season. Just something to keep in the back of your mind...

That thought had occurred to me. In a way, I guess it's a good Falcon Filter bellweather.

According to Babin we 'expressed' interest in him last year, but pulled away. He also stated 'he wanted to go to a team that was a winner'. If we waited for him to hit the waiver wire and nobody scoops him up, then brought him in it would be a telling sign that the FO thinks THIS is the year to strike it rich, and go 'all-in' and even breal the honored 'Falcons Filter'.

But if we show no interest, then we will know the Filter is still in place. Good point.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:23 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Of course the Falcons should be interested. They need a pass rush, they don't have it. They aren't going to get it by just sitting on their hands and knees. Sure, they could hold out the hope that Sidbury, Massaquoi, and/or Matthews with increased reps can make something happen. But that would be foolish. If the team thought these guys were capable of going up against Joe Staley, Jermon Bushrod, Donald Penn, Will Beatty, Bryan Bulaga, etc. any number of decent to good OTs that we'd see come January, and they would need to win one on one matchups against to get effective pressure on their respective QBs.

As I'm writing this, he got claimed by the Jags.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Wow, the Jags... what a way to end a career... poor guy. Them doing that with a 32 year-old is just spitting in the face of the player and the rest of the league. :down:

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:34 pm 

My bet would be that he is lackluster for 5 weeks, and the Jags cut him on the off-season, and he'll be free to sign with whatever team Jim Washburn lands with after the Eagles coaching staff is gutted on Black Monday following the season.

Profile E-mail