It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Week 15 Welcome Back Joe Hawley!! Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:22 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The offense just hasn't been the same without him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Week 15 Welcome Back Joe Hawley!! Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Hawley was one of the main culprits of last year's playoff loss to the Giants. He was getting manhandled. That being said, very clever Pudge.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:53 pm 
Starter
Starter

Its not his blocking we missed on offense. Its his route running, ability to create separation, and his ability to catch the football that we missed more than anything. I think the playbook just expanded a little bit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:31 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

the way I see it there are 4 ways this works out:

The Falcons, stinging from the loss last week come out focused and on fire, and play a complete game and decisively beat the Giants..or

The Giants, coming off that beatdown they gave the Saints, roll in hot and beat us handily...or...

The Giants become complacent, and Eli has 'one of those games' coming off the sugar rush of pummeling Brees, turns the ball over a bunch allowing us to squeek out a win, or...

The Giants come out complacent, Eli has a bad game, but we dont take advantage of that and we lose by squeeker.

Now I am hoping for #1, would be surprised and disgusted by #2, I have a hunch it will be #3, but I wouldn't be surprised or that dissapointed by #4, because we at least kept in the game.

:pray:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.1217402

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:37 pm 

You forgot one...

The Falcons, stinging from the loss last week come out focused and on fire, and play a complete game and The Giants, coming off that beatdown they gave the Saints, roll in hot and....

... who knows after that point. But that's the game I want and are hoping to see.

I want to see this team get challenged in a shoot-out. And if you they can play it down to the last possession, then I really don't care who wins. Either way, the Falcons answered the bell and rose to the challenge. They are coming off a bad loss and played this week with intensity (meaning they can light the fuse at will), they were able to maximize their offensive potential (which I've long said really really matters), and they got into a d*gfight with a tough opponent, and didn't back down, thus shining in the face of adversity. We know the defense has done that at times this year, but never the offense. Especially in home games.

These are all IMHO the primary things that will uplift this team from mediocrity to being the championship contender we all want to see. And we just really haven't seen them yet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:46 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

That's all nice and fuzzy, but the oline is going to get killed by the defensive front four, which will lead to a long string of interceptions.

Maybe?

It'd be great if ATL provides enough protection to go over the top of a bunch of safeties, running Jacquizz enough to make them cheat up, but I don't think the line gets it done. It's too bad, because I believe you can run up the center on the Giants. NY plays Kiawanuka at DT at times. If Konz can't move him . . .

Get the safeties playing with a run-first mentality and ATL can score. If the Giants can sit short in the backfield because the run isn't a threat and Ryan has 2 seconds, it's over, and it's over ugly.

I'm not sure how ATL doesn't look at this as the playoffs. The intensity has to be there. Harrison is right: The Falcons don't scare anyone. However, the D has come up against pass-oriented offenses, so if they can set Manning alongside his brother, Brees, and Rivers, there's a reasonable chance they beat someone in the playoffs. Clearly, they could beat the Giants.

But, ATL is all set to get blown out. Any time your game hinges on the other team not showing up it's not good.

And despite all that, the NFL has been so quirky this year that I think ATL beats them. 23-21 or some such thing. Pat's "resilient" thing comes back and we still don't know if they might win a playoff game this year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:23 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Wow, allot of really out their predictions, so we can get buried, or just barely lose, or just barely win, or destroy them. Way to lower it down guys, I guess since I'd like to be different, my prediction is a 31-31 tie!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:24 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Oh, and I"m also predicting a Mike Smith Tom Caughlin, fist fight ending with a rear naked choke, but hey, I've been wrong before on occasion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:41 pm 

Just prepare yourselves to see a repeat of the Giants vs. Packers game.

Matt Ryan getting crushed by the Giant pass rush destroying a banged up and utterly useless pass blocking unit.

Our fancy deep threat ain't no thang when your QB is looking out of the ear hole of his helmet courtesy of a G-Men D-Lineman.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:25 pm 

Oh snap, just saw that Hawley won't return until next week.

We're DOOOOOMED!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:00 am 

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-bl ... lcons_blog

Atlanta Falcons: What they said after 34-0 Falcons victory over Giants

7:05 pm December 16, 2012, by Michael Cunningham

“They don’t remember what you do in September and October. It’s all about December and January. We’ve been saying we haven’t played our best. We haven’t played our best game and when we watch the game tomorrow, we’ll probably have that same opinion.
:wub: :wub: :wub:
Falcons coach Mike Smith

“Those three fourth-down stops are like turnovers. We know that when you make them as a football team, it can change the momentum. It multiplies when you stop them on defense.”

Smith

“Coach Smith does a great job at the beginning of the year preaching that he wants to win at home and defend our dome. We’ve done a good job of that. I think our fans have been awesome and they’ve been loud in the dome. I think that helps when our defense is playing.”

Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan on the team’s 11-game home winning streak

“It feels great to play that well on both sides of the ball, especially after last week (a 30-20 defeat to the Panthers). If we can keep this momentum and passion going, I think the sky is the limit for us.”

Falcons safety Thomas DeCoud

“Last week everybody was talking smack about us, (saying) this, that and this. But we just continued to do what we are doing. We don’t worry about what everybody else is saying. I think that’s the reason we are the kind of team we are. Everybody has a bad game.”

Falcons defensive end John Abraham on responding to the defeat at Carolina.

“We know what kind of team we have. … I think we were enjoying the victory and the (NFC South) championship thing. Getting in the playoffs was not our major goal. We just ate that up too much and seeing a team with the record (the Panthers) had, just came out and thought the game was over with. But they came with a lot of fire and we didn’t.”

Abraham, on the letdown at Carolina

“I don’t know if it was about making a statement. We had to play better, especially against the world champs, the team that bounced us out of the playoffs last year. That’s the effort that it took. We might see that (Giants) team again.”

Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez

“They came out and tried to get the jam on me — and I knew they were going to try to get the jam and I was pointing at them — and Matt put that ball in perfect. Actually the defender made a good play on it but if you put the ball up there, then I feel like I can go up there and climb that ladder and make a play on the ball.”

Gonzalez on his leaping 12-yard touchdown catch

“He just jumped it. That’s what he does and has done a number of times.”

Giants quarterback Eli Manning on Asante Samuel’s interception

“We have two games to play. There is a lot of fire and a lot of character in that locker room. We have to come back from a devastating loss and shake it off somehow, some way.”

Giants coach Tom Coughlin

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:03 am 

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_ ... l-together

Atlanta Falcons finally put it all together
December, 16, 2012
6:28 PM ET
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

ATLANTA -- This is what a 12-2 team is supposed to look like.

It goes out and dominates every facet of the game against the defending Super Bowl champions. It plays like a machine and erases the ghosts of last season’s playoffs and last week’s ugly loss to Carolina Panthers.

That’s precisely what the Atlanta Falcons did in Sunday’s 34-0 victory over the New York Giants at the Georgia Dome.

“I think this is the best game we’ve put together all season,’’ cornerback Asante Samuel said.

Samuel generally isn’t prone to understatements, but he might have been selling the Falcons short on this one. If the Falcons didn’t play a perfect game Sunday, they at least bordered on it.

They recorded the first regular-season shutout ever in a game that Eli Manning started. They recorded the first regular-season shutout against the Giants since December 1996.

Even the critics, including media members and opposing players, who have been quick to point out the Falcons often have been just getting by against the league’s easiest schedule, have to be impressed by this one. At least for the moment, you can make a case the Falcons are as good as their record.

But don’t let Samuel catch you giving the Falcons their due.

“We love the haters,’’ Samuel said. “The haters keep us going. Keep up the hate.’’

But the season-long theme about a lack of respect wasn’t the lone motivating factor. Last week’s 30-20 loss to Carolina might have played just as big a role.

“Embarrassment,’’ veteran tight end Tony Gonzalez said when asked why the Falcons’ focus was so much better this week. “It was better than it’s been because it had to be.’’

Said head coach Mike Smith, “Our focus this week was heightened, I will say that.’’

To a man, the Falcons talked about how well they practiced and prepared for the Giants, who beat them, 24-2, in last season’s playoffs.

“This week, what we figured out was if you put in the work, you’re going to get the result you want,’’ linebacker Sean Weatherspoon said. “We know now we need to play playoff ball the rest of the way.’’

For perhaps the first time all season, the Falcons were at the absolute top of their game in every area.

The special teams kept Giants return man David Wilson from doing any damage. The offense had balance and rhythm throughout the game. The maligned running game produced 129 yards. Quarterback Matt Ryan was almost perfect and might have edged his way back into the Most Valuable Player conversation. He completed 23 of 38 passes for 270 yards and three touchdowns. Julio Jones caught two touchdown passes and moved past the 1,000-yard receiving mark for the season. The offensive line protected Ryan (one sack) very well against a Giants front four that Smith called the best in the NFL.

But, on a day where every unit shined, the defense might have been the brightest spot.

The Falcons recorded their first shutout since the 2009 season and their first at home since 2002, and they did it against a quarterback that has won two Super Bowls. They set the tone early, as Samuel intercepted Manning on the second play of the game to set up a quick Atlanta touchdown.

NFL Playoff Machine

Check current playoff seedings and figure scenarios through the end of the season. Playoff Machine
Safety Thomas DeCoud also intercepted Manning early in the second quarter to set up a field goal that put the Falcons ahead 17-0. But the interceptions weren’t even the biggest story of the day for the Atlanta defense.

Three times -- twice in the second quarter and once in the third quarter -- the Giants went for it on fourth down instead of settling for a field goal.

“I thought that was a little disrespectful, like, 'We’re better than you,'’’ Weatherspoon said. “But we got it done between the lines.’’

All three times, the Falcons stopped the Giants.

“Gigantic,’’ Smith said. “Absolutely gigantic. Those three fourth-down stops were like turnovers.’’

Said Weatherspoon, “They were turnovers. That’s demoralizing for a team.’’

The loss certainly didn’t help the Giants in their quest to win the NFC East and earn a playoff berth. But the victory might have done wonders for the Falcons' morale.

It also might have opened some eyes that the Falcons truly are a good team.

“I understand why the media doesn’t have the stomach to jump on the bandwagon,’’ Gonzalez said. “They are going to say what they want to say until we go out and win a playoff game. That’s just the reality.’’

But maybe how other people perceive the Falcons shouldn’t really matter. Maybe all that matters is how the Falcons perceive themselves and how they perform when it matters most.

“They don’t remember what you do in September and October,’’ Smith said. “It’s all about December and January. We’ve been saying we haven’t played our best. We haven’t played our best game, and when we watch the [replay] tomorrow, we’ll probably have that same opinion.’’

If Smith and the Falcons can look at the film of this one and find any flaws, that’s a good thing. It would mean that, even after a fantastic performance, there still is room for improvement.

“It was a statement game for this week,’’ Weatherspoon said. “But there’s a lot more to be done.’’

If the Falcons are going to win in the postseason for the first time in the Smith-Ryan era, they’ll need to play like they did against the Giants. If they do that, anything is possible.

“It’s time,’’ Gonzalez said. “It’s that time of year where you have start jelling as a football team. “We’re a good team. We have a lot of talent, but it hasn’t been clicking all the time and I don’t know why. But this shows that, when we focus, we’re very tough to beat.’’

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:10 am 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21411486

Impressive Falcons take apart Giants and legion of non-believers
Pete Prisco
By Pete Prisco | Senior NFL Columnist
Dec. 16, 2012 6:26 PM ET

ATLANTA -- Still think the Atlanta Falcons aren't a good football team despite their lofty record and their closing in on the top seed in the NFC?

If so, you are wrong.

Here's proof: Falcons 34, New York Giants 0.

That's the defending Super Bowl champion Giants, the team most experts have pegged to go on a late-season roll to again be a factor in the postseason, the same Giants who blew out the Falcons in the playoffs last January. Atlanta made them look like a league bottom-feeder Sunday at the Georgia Dome.

The critics, and they are many, especially after Atlanta lost to the Carolina Panthers last week, kept saying how the Falcons don't blow teams out. They said they were winning, but not impressively. On and on it went.

All of last week, on all the networks, on all the websites, it was talk of how the Atlanta Falcons weren't any good.

Now what? After handling the Giants in every way possible, shutting out the Giants for the first time in the regular season since 1996, the Falcons are 12-2 and one victory away from clinching the top seed in the NFC. It was the first shutout for Atlanta since 2008.

"You are what your record says you are, and we're a good football team," Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez said. "We're not going to let anybody mess with our focus and our psyche."

Maybe not, but the underlying feeling in the locker room, one not aired publicly, was this was a game the Falcons had to have. Not just to keep pace for the top seed, but for validation of this as a good football team.

"The haters keep us going," Falcons corner Asante Samuel said. "Keep hating."

The 34-0 score doesn't tell the entire story. The Falcons had 22 first downs to 10 for the Giants. They held the ball for 38 minutes, 57 seconds to 21:03 for the Giants. Atlanta had 394 yards of total offense to 256 yards for the Giants. The Giants had three turnovers and the Falcons none.

"Atlanta was very, very good and we were very, very bad," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said.

He was being kind.

If the Falcons seemed to play angry, it's because they did. Gonzalez said the team was embarrassed by what happened last week at Carolina. And they took that anger to the practice field last week. Gonzalez said the Falcons had their best week of practice this season.

"We knew we had to change it up," Gonzalez said. "We had to focus. When we focus, we're tough to beat."

What was lost was how the Carolina game was a classic NFL sandwich game, a road game in between two big games -- Falcons had beaten rival New Orleans the week before.

OK, so maybe it looked like a crap sandwich last week, but now not so much.

"From the outhouse to the penthouse in a week," Falcons linebacker Mike Peterson said.

It helped that the Falcons started the game by forcing a turnover -- Samuel jumped a route and picked off Eli Manning to set up Atlanta's first touchdown. From there, it was all Falcons.

Manning threw for 161 yards as the Giants had a tough time getting anything going. It was the first regular-season shutout of his career. He joined brother, Peyton, of the Broncos and Drew Brees of the Saints as big-time passers who have struggled inside the Georgia Dome against the Falcons.

The Falcons beat all three teams at home, collecting 10 interceptions.

The key: Getting those quarterbacks in third-and-long. The Giants were 4 of 10 on third down Sunday. Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan is one of the best at confusing quarterbacks on third down with his exotic looks.

"We made a collective effort as a defensive unit to keep the score at zero," Falcons linebacker Sean Weatherspoon said.

The Falcons are a speed defense, one built to play with the lead. That's why getting off to the fast start was so important Sunday. They run and fly to the football, but they aren't big and stout, even though they had two fourth-and-short stops against the Giants.

The Atlanta offense was balanced with 129 rushing yards and quarterback Matt Ryan throwing for 270 yards and three scores. The big play was a 40-yard touchdown throw to Julio Jones to open the second half and make the score 24-0.

"It's a good win for us," Falcons defensive end John Abraham said. "But by no means is this team satisfied."

Most players downplayed talk of this as a validation victory. That's for us in the media to decide, they said.

Some, though, are sick of hearing how they aren't any good.

"Yeah, I'm tired of that," Weatherspoon said. "That's why we played like this tonight and we're going to play that way the rest of the year."

Others waved me away when I tried to get them to talk validation.

"You're not going to get me to say those words," Abraham said.

Gonzalez, the veteran tight end likely in his final year and hopeful his career ends with a Super Bowl, was more diplomatic.

"The national validation will come when we get to the playoffs," Gonzalez said. "I understand why the media doesn't have the stomach to pick us and get on that bandwagon. We control our own destiny. It's about winning in the playoffs."

This group is 0-3 in the playoffs the past four years. That's why there doubts remain. But some of those should subside after the beating they gave the Giants. If not, some players privately had a message for those doubters.

"[Expletive] them," one Falcons player said. "We don't have to prove anything to anybody. We're a good football team."

It's hard to argue that now after what we saw Sunday.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:29 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

[quote="fun gus"]the way I see it there are 4 ways this works out:

The Falcons, stinging from the loss last week come out focused and on fire, and play a complete game and decisively beat the Giants..or

The Giants, coming off that beatdown they gave the Saints, roll in hot and beat us handily...or...

The Giants become complacent, and Eli has 'one of those games' coming off the sugar rush of pummeling Brees, turns the ball over a bunch allowing us to squeek out a win, or...

The Giants come out complacent, Eli has a bad game, but we dont take advantage of that and we lose by squeeker.

Now I am hoping for #1, would be surprised and disgusted by #2, I have a hunch it will be #3, but I wouldn't be surprised or that dissapointed by #4, because we at least kept in the game.

:pray:

wow, did I ever get that one wrong :oops:

listen, you guys have no idea how sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet this win was at the Dome. The Giants ALWAYS show up, in force. Coming off thier 2nd SB they were trash talking before the game like you could never imagine.

That first pick, you could tell the air was sucked out of ALL the Giants fans. They have seen 'bad Eli' so many times before, and you could just feel the energy leaving right then, that early in the game. Then: to get stuffed on 4th and short 3 times!!

Ill say this much for the Giants fans, they didn't stream out in the early 4th. They stayed put until about 9 minutes left in the 4th, then they slunk away to the jeers and taunts of the Falcons Fans. Saw three fistfights up in the 300's..

I've been a st holder since 2000. Saw lots of games at the Dome. Save for Vick's playoff win, this was the best game I ever saw there.

is there any way the Giants come back here in the playoff? I got 4 playoff tix and my brother in law ( big Giants fan) says he will buy them from me for 1000$ if the GIants come back here. Not kidding, either. (This particular in law grew up in Manhattan. His father was a famous songwriter out of the Brill Building. He wrote 'hey there lonely girl' as well as a couple other hits. In his later years, he was Meatloafs agent and tour manager in the 80's. )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:37 pm 

I figured it would be either #2 or #3. Seeing the Falcons dominate the Giants as handly as they did seemed like the least likely possibility just because it had been nearly 2 months since we've seen the Falcons play at that level (vs. the Eagles).

I'm now optimistic about the Falcons chances in January. I still don't think they would beat the 49ers if they played them just because the 49ers are such a difficult matchup for this team. But any other opponent we would face come January, I expect the Falcons to beat.

My brain tells me that I still should remain somewhat cautiously optimistic about this team's chances going forward because this is only 1 instance of them playing very well, when they've basically had 5 or 6 opportunities to do. But now my heart is telling me to throw caution to the wind, and get completely on board the bandwagon.

I still won't be shocked if this team is 1&done in the playoffs, but I definitely will be devastated if it happens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:49 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
I figured it would be either #2 or #3. Seeing the Falcons dominate the Giants as handly as they did seemed like the least likely possibility just because it had been nearly 2 months since we've seen the Falcons play at that level (vs. the Eagles).

I'm now optimistic about the Falcons chances in January. I still don't think they would beat the 49ers if they played them just because the 49ers are such a difficult matchup for this team. But any other opponent we would face come January, I expect the Falcons to beat.

My brain tells me that I still should remain somewhat cautiously optimistic about this team's chances going forward because this is only 1 instance of them playing very well, when they've basically had 5 or 6 opportunities to do. But now my heart is telling me to throw caution to the wind, and get completely on board the bandwagon.

I still won't be shocked if this team is 1&done in the playoffs, but I definitely will be devastated if it happens.

any chance the Giants come back here in the playoffs? what are your odds on that? :?:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... tement-win

After a season full of nail-biters, the Atlanta Falcons finally got a blowout win Sunday, stomping the New York Giants 34-0. They outgained the Giants in total offense (394 to 256), first downs (22 to 10) and also forced more turnovers (three to zero). It was the first time this year the Falcons have thoroughly outplayed a quality opponent. It was not, however, a "statement" win. It was just one game in a long season, and a clear outlier at that, not a new standard of excellence.

Atlanta was outside the top 10 last week in Football Outsiders' rankings, and one game out of 14 won't change that too much. :roll: Even if you're not a believer in Football Outsiders' methods, recent history is full of so-called "statement" games that didn't say much about either team when all was said and done.

The Falcons stand at 12-2 after Sunday's win, but Football Outsiders' system estimates that they "should" have won only about eight of those games, with four extra victories coming through luck in the form of soft scheduling, random turnovers or other factors. That's rarefied air when it comes to overachievement. Since 1991, 11 other teams have finished with winning records and at least three more actual wins than estimated wins. A quick look back at those overachievers paints an ominous picture for this year's Falcons:

Overachieving teams, 1991-2011
Year Team Actual Wins Estimated Wins Difference Fate Playoff wins
1992 IND 9 5.5 3.5 Missed Playoffs 0
1993 DET 10 7.0 3.0 Lost wild-card game 0
1996 MIN 9 5.7 3.3 Lost wild-card game 0
1998 ARI 9 5.8 3.2 Lost divisional round 1
1999 IND 13 9.5 3.5 Lost divisional round 0
2001 CHI 13 9.6 3.4 Lost divisional round 0
2002 GB 12 9.0 3.0 Lost wild-card game 0
2003 CAR 11 7.7 3.3 Lost Super Bowl 3
2003 STL 12 8.2 3.8 Lost divisional round 0
2004 ATL 11 7.7 3.3 Lost conference championship 1
2006 SEA 9 5.4 3.6 Lost divisional round 1

As the table shows, only two of these 11 teams reached the conference title game and only two others won even one playoff game. The other seven either missed the playoffs outright or went one-and-done, including some teams whose first game came at home after a first-round bye. The most recent team to suffer that fate: the 2003 St. Louis Rams, who went 12-4 but lost their first playoff game at home to Carolina. That Carolina team, it's worth noting, also overachieved, and was far and away the most successful of the bunch once the playoffs started.

Why are the Falcons so low in FO's rankings? Though they've lost only two games, they've been in severe danger of losing many others. Seven of their wins have come by eight points or fewer, and many of those have come over bottom-dwellers such as Oakland, Philadelphia and Arizona. They should be scolded, not celebrated, for a three-point comeback win at home over the lowly Raiders, a team that has lost to the Dolphins, Broncos, Ravens, Saints and Bengals by at least 20 points apiece.

Atlanta has been particularly weak in the running game, on both sides of the ball. The Falcons have averaged only 3.7 yards per carry on their own rushes (29th in the league), but given up 4.9 yards per carry on opponents' runs (30th).

Some people reading this (many of them, no doubt, residing in the 404 area code) will insist that the Falcons have the best record in the NFC, and that means they're the best team in the NFC, fancy computer numbers be damned. Even those readers, though, should take caution and not get overly excited by one game. Recent history is littered with teams that made "statements" by beating playoff-bound teams in December, then fell flat on their face in the playoffs.....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:26 pm 

fun gus wrote:
any chance the Giants come back here in the playoffs? what are your odds on that? :?:

I guess in one sense the odds are about as much as you think the Giants can beat the Ravens (on the road) next week and the Eagles at home in Week 17.

If the Giants win out, they're in the playoffs. The only question is whether it's as the 4th or 6th seed.

More than likely, it's shaping up that the winner of the NFC West will be the 3 seed, and the other team will be the 5 seed. Now it's still possible that either SEA/SF could get the 2 seed but they would need GB to lose to either TEN or @MIN. I guess a Vikings win is a possibility, but at some point the Messiah (a.k.a. Adrian Peterson) will have to be stopped.

The Giants can still win the NFC East if they win out and WAS (@PHI/vs. DAL) or DAL (vs. NO/@ WAS) hiccup. Assuming the Giants beat Baltimore next week, that Cowboys-Redskins showdown could go down to the winner wins the division and gets the 4 seed, and the loser gets bumped out of the playoffs altogether.

If the Giants are the 4-seed, then let's assume they host SEA (5-seed) in Round 1. That would mean the 6th seed (DAL/WAS/CHI?) would have to go to SF/GB (3 seed). Now I can see RG3 taking the Skins to Lambeau and winning a la Vick in 2002. But that's about the only possibility I could imagine an upset in that situation.

If that's the case, then if the Giants beat SEA, then they will be coming back to the Dome.

If they get the 6-seed, then they will have to be the upsetter. Because it's the Giants, it's not crazy to think they could beat either, especially if that 3-seed is GB.

There are still a lot of possibilities with the seeding. It's more than likely going to be ATL 1, GB 2, SF 3, SEA 5. It's the 4 & 6 seeds that are up in the air, but all 3 NFC East teams control their own destiny (win out and they are in). CHI & MIN are still in the mix, but they need help.

But I think if I had to put money on it right now, I think the Giants are probably our most likely opponent we'll face in Round 2 of the Dome. Followed by SEA if I had to guess.

The most positive thing is that the 2 toughest matchups for us (IMO SF & GB) are very unlikely to play until the NFC CHampionship game if at all.

Profile E-mail