It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:03 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

hate the term “haters.” Fans tend to label somebody a hater any time somebody doesn’t agree with their own view of things, as if their own view of things is the absolute truth and the only opinion that matters. (Welcome to my world.)

But, yes: Many in the national media (and among the team’s own fan base) have had doubts about the Falcons, despite their record. And the doubters generally have been labeled “haters.”

So given Sunday’s resounding 34-0 victory over the New York Giants, it seemed like a good morning to take a spin around the Internet to see what all of those Nattering Nabobs of Negativism were saying and writing.

Guess what? Suddenly everybody loves the Falcons! (Shocking, I know.)

Highlights and linkage . . .

– From former Chicago Bears coach Mike Ditka, who appeared on ESPN’s “Mike and Mike” radio show (which I watched this morning while on the eliptical): “I have to be apologetic because I didn’t think the Falcons were very mentally tough and they proved to me they’re much mentally tougher than the New York Giants.”

– From Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com, who was among those in attendance Sunday: “Still think the Atlanta Falcons aren’t a good football team despite their lofty record and their closing in on the top seed in the NFC? If so, you are wrong. Here’s proof: Falcons 34, New York Giants 0. That’s the defending Super Bowl champion Giants, the team most experts have pegged to go on a late-season roll to again be a factor in the postseason, the same Giants who blew out the Falcons in the playoffs last January. Atlanta made them look like a league bottom-feeder Sunday at the Georgia Dome. The critics, and they are many, especially after Atlanta lost to the Carolina Panthers last week, kept saying how the Falcons don’t blow teams out. They said they were winning, but not impressively. On and on it went. All of last week, on all the networks, on all the websites, it was talk of how the Atlanta Falcons weren’t any good. Now what?”

– From Pat Yasinskas, ESPN’s NFC South Division blogger: “This is what a 12-2 team is supposed to look like. It goes out and dominates every facet of the game against the defending Super Bowl champions. It plays like a machine and erases the ghosts of last season’s playoffs and last week’s ugly loss to the Carolina Panthers. That’s precisely what the Atlanta Falcons did in Sunday’s 34-0 victory over the New York Giants at the Georgia Dome. … Even the critics, including media members and opposing players, who have been quick to point out the Falcons often have been just getting by against the league’s easiest schedule, have to be impressed by this one. At least for the moment, you can make a case the Falcons are as good as their record.”

– From FoxSports.com’s “Top 15 Takeaways” column: “Offensively, the Falcons showed something they hadn’t all season — a ground game. The Falcons ran the ball for 129 yards, with beleaguered back Michael Turner scoring the first touchdown of the game. Atlanta’s dominance on the ground was a big reason why the Falcons had the ball for 23:32 of the second half. Good defense, big passing attack, solid ground game, undefeated at home? Hey, maybe the Falcons could represent the NFC in the Super Bowl, after all.”

– From Yahoo Sports’ Mike Silver in his “Morning Rush” column: “Back in late October, Atlanta Falcons receiver Roddy White admitted that in light of their shoddy playoff record in recent years, “We’re just regular-season warriors” until proven otherwise. Don’t be so quick to dismiss Atlanta (12-2) as a Super Bowl contender, however. In response to last Sunday’s lackluster defeat to Carolina, the Falcons rolled to a 34-0 victory over the Giants, essentially reversing the outcome of the two teams’ playoff clash last January. In other words, the Regular Season Warriors took a major step. “Lol yea we did,” White said via text Sunday evening. “Confidence booster for the whole team.”

– Jason Cole, another Yahoo NFL writer, seemingly avoided jumping on the Falcons’ bandwagon. Cole strangely avoided referencing the Falcons in the “winners” section of his “Winners and Losers” from Week 15 column. Instead, he mentioned the Giants in the “losers” section, writing: “It’s unfortunate that the New York Giants couldn’t come up with a better effort in light of their hope to honor the victims of the Newtown tragedy. From a football perspective, the Giants’ playoffs hopes are in jeopardy with two games to go. The biggest issue with the Giants is they don’t consistently play with urgency and often need to have a fire lit under them.”

– From John Clayton of ESPN.com: “The Falcons needed a statement game. Despite having the best record in the NFC, the lack of respect for the Falcons carried to an extreme when they dropped to No. 5 in ESPN.com’s Power Rankings. For what it’s worth, I still voted them No. 1. Sunday’s 34-0 victory over the New York Giants was just what they needed. At 12-2 and close to locking up home-field advantage, maybe the Falcons will get some respect now. The Falcons looked like a No. 1 seed Sunday, dominating on offense, defense and special teams. Matt Ryan completed 23-of-28 for 270 yards and three touchdowns. The defense made three key stops on fourth downs.”

– From SI.com’s Don Banks: “Well it wasn’t a playoff win, but at least the Falcons got some revenge for their playoff loss from last season, overwhelming the Giants team that beat Atlanta 24-2 in 2011’s first round. That’s not enough, of course, for Falcons head coach Mike Smith and quarterback Matt Ryan. Nothing but postseason success will suffice for them. But after last week’s embarrassment at Carolina, Atlanta (12-2) needed to re-establish its credentials as the NFC’s likely No. 1 seed, and destroying the defending Super Bowl champs by nearly five touchdowns is a pretty good way to do it. Ryan especially needed a strong game, and his three-touchdown, 270-yard showing was much more reminiscent of his first-half MVP-level play this season, rather than the uneven showing of the past five or six games. If nothing else, if the Giants and Falcons should meet again in this year’s playoffs, Atlanta won’t enter that game carrying around the burden of last January’s postseason outcome.”

So it appears the viewpoints have changed

http://hhttp//blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schult ... ged/ttp://

Post subject: Re: Nattering Nabobs of Negativism
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:17 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm not a hater I just have questions? Sunday's game was a big game but without interceptions and big 4th down stops things would be much closer. How much pressure
was on the Falcons Sunday?? I sincerely don't know!!

So my questions is: On the pressure of winning a first playoff game under Coach Smith game against another playoff team can the Falcons still make interceptions, complete great passes & even run the ball a little; under playoff pressure?

That question can only be answered once in a playoff game; we need to answer that Question positively on our first playoff game this season or have to answer the same question every year we're in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Good read, it's funny how little respect the Falcons get compared to teams like the Ravens and 49er's even though they haven't made the superbowl in a decade or more either. I don't want just one playoff win, I want it all. If we win one and then lose I'll be disappointed and I think the Falcons will be too. I really like the current direction we are on, and when the playoffs start we will have just as good of a chance to go all the way as anyone else.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:15 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

DaveWaz wrote:
I don't want just one playoff win, I want it all. If we win one and then lose I'll be disappointed and I think the Falcons will be too. I really like the current direction we are on, and when the playoffs start we will have just as good of a chance to go all the way as anyone else.

Winning it all would be incredible, but winning even a single playoff game would be a step in the right direction. Winning the NFC championship and just getting to the Super Bowl would be quite satisfying, but I hope we go all the way!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Naturally I'd love to see a Super Bowl, but I hate having to defend our being a playoff team every year. The truth is that in every playoff game we've had no one has stepped
up on the Falcons in the last 4 years. I don't won't to have to be defensive again about our team in the playoffs.

Naturally it can be a double win, we win a playoff game then run the table!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:05 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

What's funny to me is that Falcon fans think the Falcons deserve as much respect as teams like SF and Baltimore. Apparently Falcon fans don't remember that both of those teams were 1 play away from being in the Super Bowl last year. People tend to give you the benefit of the doubt in such situations, as opposed to a team that has looked progressively worse in its last 3 playoff games.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:51 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
What's funny to me is that Falcon fans think the Falcons deserve as much respect as teams like SF and Baltimore

Please don't lump us all together. Like I said No one has played good in any of our playoff losses under Coach Smith. I do think he did a good job of the turnaround and
perhaps we just were what people thought we were at that time.

Many people said after the Giant game that they didn't think the Falcons were mentally tough enough enough to beat the Giants. They've admitted they were obviously wrong.

Matt Ryan seems tougher to me, not a lot but enough.

Its just the way it is in sports. When you move up in competition your going to be judged by how you played in your last playoff game. I believe some even remember the way you played which is not good for the Falcons.

The only answer is for the Falcons to win a playoff game and still be competitive
in the second game. In my view the regular season is very important to establish what kind of franchise you have year in and out, and for the enjoyment of watching wins.

The playoffs is the only place you can become a great franchise. You've got to earn it;
and I think the bar has been moved from when you could buy teams; and now you must be a smart franchise too.

IMO in the playoffs we haven't earned any respect from the Vick years; but things can turn around quickly or go back to the way its been. Its according how the players handle the playoff game. Roddy, Tony G, Matt Ryan's reputations are made by big plays in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:04 pm 

Cyril wrote:
The playoffs is the only place you can become a great franchise. You've got to earn it;

That's my point Cyril. What have the Falcons earned? Nothing. They have the 2nd best regular season record of any team in the league since 2008. The #1 team (Patriots) has several 1& done playoff exits in that same span, but did go to a Super Bowl in one of those years, and in the previous 7 seasons prior to the 2008-12 period went to the Super Bowl 4 times. That's earning it. The #3 team (Ravens) has lost in the Conference Championship twice since '08, and has won a playoff game every year since '08. That earns you some respect from the nation as a whole.

You look at the next 5 teams: Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Indianapolis, and the NY Giants, have all been to or won a Super Bowl since 2008. Houston, San Fran, NY Jets, San Diego, Dallas, and Philadelphia have all won playoff games since '08. You have to go all the way down to the Tennessee Titans, who have the 16th best record since '08, and are barely above .500 (4 games) in that span before you find another team that is winless in the playoffs.

Many Falcon fans think just because they have this great record this year, they deserve respect. But this is what happens with the Falcons every year in the Mike Smith Era, they are great in the regular season and poor in the postseason. Until that changes, they aren't going to get respect from outsiders, nor should they.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:39 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
What's funny to me is that Falcon fans think the Falcons deserve as much respect as teams like SF and Baltimore. Apparently Falcon fans don't remember that both of those teams were 1 play away from being in the Super Bowl last year. People tend to give you the benefit of the doubt in such situations, as opposed to a team that has looked progressively worse in its last 3 playoff games.

A loss is a loss, and both of these teams are proven choke artists, I give them little respect until they win it all. They have just like the Falcons accomplished absolutely nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:35 am 

DaveWaz wrote:
A loss is a loss, and both of these teams are proven choke artists, I give them little respect until they win it all. They have just like the Falcons accomplished absolutely nothing.

Sure, that makes sense if you subscribe to the line of thinking that says every NFL season produces only 1 winner and 31 losers. But don't be shocked when most of the other 7 billion walking the planet don't think that way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:34 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
DaveWaz wrote:

Sure, that makes sense if you subscribe to the line of thinking that says every NFL season produces only 1 winner and 31 losers. But don't be shocked when most of the other 7 billion walking the planet don't think that way.

I live in Patriots country, and to them a playoff win is about as important as a preseason win. It's superbowl or bust, and if you fail it doesn't matter how you did it, your still a loser. I'm far more scare of the Pats and Packers, than proven losers like the 49ers and Ravens.