All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blank Says Of Course he'll Sell Seat Licenses In New Stadium
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:52 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Blank: Seat licenses are part of stadium plan

By Tim Tucker

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

As expected, Atlanta Falcons fans will be asked to help pay for the team’s proposed new stadium.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank acknowledged Monday that the team plans to sell personal seat licenses in the retractable-roof stadium planned to replace the Georgia Dome. That revenue would go toward the cost of building the new stadium.

“There will be some component of PSLs,” Blank said in an interview at his Buckhead office shortly after the Georgia World Congress Center Authority board approved a nonbinding agreement on the framework of a stadium deal. “We’re going to try to keep that to the lowest possible number we can that’s feasible. It will not be in the range of some of the newer stadiums that you have heard and read about.”

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported in October that the proposed deal would give the Falcons the right to sell personal seat licenses, but the team had not confirmed its intention until Monday. PSLs have been sold by at least 16 NFL teams. In such programs, fans are asked to pay one-time fees for the right to subsequently buy season tickets in a specific seat for the life of the building or a defined number of years.

Some of the recent PSL programs have provoked sticker shock. According to a study done for the GWCCA, the New York Giants’ and Jets’ seat licenses were priced from $1,000 to $25,000, depending on seat location, and the Dallas Cowboys’ from $2,000 to $150,000. The San Francisco 49ers reportedly are getting as much as $80,000 for seat licenses in the stadium they are building in Santa Clara, Calif.

“This program will not be close” to such examples, Falcons president and CEO Rich McKay said.

McKay and Blank said the team has not determined how much it would charge for seat licenses or how many of the new stadium’s seats would require them.

“We have done some research; there is more to be done,” Blank said.

A study for the GWCCA by consultant Barrett Sports Group projected PSLs could bring in $100 million to $200 million here.

“That’s a number that wouldn’t shock me,” Blank said. “In the case of the Dallas stadium, it was substantially more than that – a little more than twice that. In the case of the Jets/Giants, it was well more than twice that number.

“Atlanta doesn’t have a history of PSLs … We’ll try to price them and position them in a way that will continue to support having the right kind of mix of fans in our building.”

The nonbinding terms approved by the GWCCA board — intended as the basis for negotiations toward a more definitive agreement — give the Falcons “the right to determine” conditions of a seat-license program, including price. Since the taxpayer contribution to the stadium’s construction would be limited to hotel-motel tax revenue, PSL sales effectively would reduce the Falcons’ obligation.

“That will be a piece of it, but the great majority of it will be funded on a private basis,” Blank said.

Blank expects the stadium to cost “about a billion dollars” with “about $300 million of it” from hotel-motel taxes. If those projections prove accurate, the Falcons would be committed to cover about $700 million, minus whatever is generated from PSLs. The team would be eligible for up to $200 million in loans and grants from the NFL and also could raise money by selling naming rights.

Aside from PSLs, ticket prices tend to rise in new stadiums. An examination by the AJC in May found ticket prices increased 26 percent in the first season in the NFL’s three newest stadiums.

Blank Said"
Quote:
“Ticket prices certainly will change, but we will try to be consistent with what we’ve done in terms of our values and principles since 2001,”

Added by Cyril
Quote:
so expect the fans to get screwed as hard as Blank knows how; he's a little early with the values & principle s*** when we haven't won a playoff game for years!!

Post subject: Re: Blank Says Of Course he'll Sell Seat Licenses In New Sta
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:04 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm not one to tell others what to do, but if I was a ST holder, I would take the $$$ that I would be asked to pay for PSLs, invest in a wide-screen TV and a mini-fridge and enjoy the games from the comfort of my own home.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:24 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Yes I'm moving in that direction, I have a great 60 inch Samsung with surround sound,
the better the seats the higher the license will be. 38 Years as a season tickets holder
but things just change with time.

Blank is just not as smart as he thinks; I've stated two years ago I thought the Falcons could bust him; if in the middle of this project its goes way over budget while we're in a new recession; Blank has already admitted he has cash flow problems and that was before his marriage, Good luck with Blank even getting $1,000 for any seat.

I'd already told BnB this would probably be my last year as a season ticket holder.
but its just I'm tired of the crowds , and won't be raped by seat licenses and 25%
higher prices. I've seen the Falcons live for 38 years......; its been fun and I never dreamed I;d have tickets 38 years......I'd maybe go to the SUPER bOWL if the Falcons make it, but they are not many tickets and Black's not drawing by seniority.

The Super bowl should not be at a neutral site. 1998 it was really awful because no one had any fans at the games. The 32 front offices get all the tickets.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:15 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

38 years of going to games is incredible. I let mine go this year and have missed it but not as much as I might have thought. Cyril has some of the better seats in the house after all these years. There is nothing like being in that stadium when things go well. I hate it that I missed that comeback against CAR this year. I will always remember the way we came back against the Bears in 08 as one of the most ecstatic moments I ever experienced in all my years of sport watching. We have become a nation of couch potatoes and virtual livers. Being a spectator in a stadium is, obviously, also a somewhat passive experience but it is a whole new world and you realize things about the game that you will never get off a stat sheet or TV coverage. A huge investment of time though...esp for out of towners. I can't complain about Blank. His buying that team is probably the best thing that ever happened to the Falcons and my el cheapo seats always seemed like a pretty darn good entertainment bargain.

By the way, wanna wish everyone here a Merry Christmas. These little Cyber Families of the New Millenium are a fairly new phenom, I guess, but checking in every day throughout the year has become as much a part of my life as a cup of coffee in the AM. I really enjoy this site and have learned tons here. Pudge, I truly thank you for all you do to make it so enjoyable from havinfg it up in the first place to your knowledgable and fact driven albeit windy posts. I hijack many of your arguments and opinions and make them mine own! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:12 am 

Even though I've only gotten to see the Falcons live 4 times in my lifetime, I do understand the in-stadium experience and agree it is superior to watching at home. Watching at home with a group of friends can also be highly rewarding.

It's just that when you consider all the time and money that is spent getting to and from the stadium coupled with the rising costs, compared to say the rapid improvements the "in home" experience has had in recent years due to HD/technology where costs are actually going down, it's going to ultimately be harder to keep people motivated to going to the stadium on a weekly basis. Instead you probably try to cherry pick 2 or 3 of the best home games each year to see live, and then settle in on your couch for the remainder of the games.

The positive is that there should be 4 or 5 more years of the Georgia Dome. Hopefully the Falcons will have won a championship in that time period.

The issue for Arthur Blank is that by the time the stadium is built, Matt Ryan is going to be in the twilight of his career. And if Mike Smith doesn't take the Falcons to at least 1 Super Bowl between now and then, it's going to be hard to imagine him being the Falcon coach for very long after that. Very few coaches last beyond 6 or 7 years in 1 spot without a Super Bowl appearance in the modern era. Denny Green, Marvin Lewis, and Jack Del Rio are essentially the only exceptions to that, and all three coached in smaller markets than Atlanta during their times. Blank better hope that Matt Ryan plays 15+ years for the Falcons, otherwise it's likely the first few years of that stadium will be housing a mediocre football team.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
I'm not one to tell others what to do, but if I was a ST holder, I would take the $$$ that I would be asked to pay for PSLs, invest in a wide-screen TV and a mini-fridge and enjoy the games from the comfort of my own home.

Exactly what we decided to do several years ago. With the DVR there is no rush to watch the game. Church, a lazy lunch, and relax in front of the big screen with a toddy of choice makes for a great 'game time experience' without the hassle of the hurry up 75 mile drive, body pat-downs, drunks in the parking lot, etc. The remote pause/replay button even makes it more enjoyable to play referee on the calls.

Of course living outside the NFL 'black-out' zone enhances that choice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:54 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Blank may have some wishfull thinking with PSL's in Atlanta, unless we go on a run of biblical proportions winning Super bowls the fair weather fans of Atlanta will simply stay at home, or buy single game tickets. fyi, I don't blame them for either, this psl crap is getting ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I will continue to improve my home theater and enjoy watching the games from my recliners. I might have to fork out some $$$ for a 3D TV soon... I would go 3D for Falcons football.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:21 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Dave your right, the PLS is getting out of hand. Heck I'm not paying $7,500 or $12,000
for the right to sit in good seats even if they were breaking history. Yes Blank buying the franchise was probably best for the franchise; but he's always ahead of what he's accomplished; since 2001 I wouldn't look back at his history as steady and strong. At least we're winning home games in the regular season.

What Blank doesn't get is the people I sit around are regular blue collar workers that
probably couldn't come up with an extra $3,000 and I'm afraid it will be much worse than that.

Quote:

Aside from PSLs, ticket prices tend to rise in new stadiums. An examination by the AJC in May found ticket prices increased 26 percent in the first season in the NFL’s three newest stadiums.

So that's about an extra $600 for my two tickets....Really no hard feelings Arthur, you do what you want to do; and I'll exercise the same privilege.

Its gonna look kinda funny with 60,000 people wearing suits at all the home games. (:

I also want to extend BnB's thank you to Pudge, for his knowledge and his replying
until we agree to disagree. Its funny although there are times I'm close to positive I'm right, then during a game I may say " wow here's a time when I'd do what the other's said. I've learned from everyone here, the beauty of the site is Pudge wants
their to be free flowing debate; and its what makes this place special!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:39 pm 

Clearly its the season of giving because I'm getting a lot of praise for douchebaggery. Thanks guys. And I know I can be an asshole sometimes, but most of the time I do realize it afterwards, just too prideful to admit it. :oops:

After setting up this forum circa 2004, I wanted to create a place where people were judged solely by the content of their words as opposed to being outright dismissed because people had "issues" with the individual, which I think became the problem at the Roost over the years.

After all I've given people plenty of fodder over these many years to have issues with me. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:06 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

PB21 wishes you a Happy Holiday.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:49 am 

backnblack wrote:

8-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:12 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:

:lol: :rofl: Thats some funny stuff, there.

the thing that pisses me off more then any other issue here is the way they went about doing this whole shebang. From the 'setup' interviews and 'fan forum' townhall style meetings where they danced around this very issue, to the legislature ramming this thing through without public support or even a ballot initiative, to the AJC turning a blind eye, or at the very least not really giving a true 'both sides' of the story: to even 790 and 680 softballing questions to Blank. It's one thing to do all these things, but dont piss on my leg and tell me it's raining!

If this team was 4-11 they would never even bring up the term 'PSL'. Now that were on the cusp of the Playoffs, with the deal already decided: NOW Blank can come out and 'fess up. :evil:

After the GiantFiasco(tm) I angrily told my wife 'that's it! F*ck em! NO more ST's for me!'...BUt little did I know that the deal last year was you had to pay for playoff tix and if we didn't make it to the 2nd round, the $$ AUTOMATICALLY goes towards your next years ST's. So my wife had already bought it before it was too late, but it worked out because I now have playoff tix for this year, and I;ve been able to move some of my ST's to friends whenever I couldn't go. And the Saints and Giants game was worth every penny ( my seats are in the upper 300's so pretty cheap )..

Which leads me to this. I'm probably going to keep my ST's next year and the year after that. I dont think Blank would be stupid enough to think that charging the huddled masses yearning to breathe free a PSL in the upper 300's in the new digs is a good idea. It would be fiscal suicide.

I have researched this issue and talked to friends and family who live in markets where the new stadium went in and it's results concerning PSL's...up where my older brother lives they have PSL's they are just called COA's (Charter Ownership Agreement) and the cost trickles 'up'..People like Cyril who;ve been longtime Bengal ST holders either walked away, or decided sitting in the nicer section wasn't 'worth it' and either moved to cheaper environs or bought single game tickets. The result was that in the upper sections demand was more prevalent, so the prices go up. And they get alot of blackouts too, but that could also be becuase they are the Bengals, after all :P

So I'll probably keep my ST's as long as the price is okay. I understand that a new stadium and cost of living, etc means the tickets are going to cost more. It's 'how much more'. For example, in my section now it's 700$ for next years pair of ST's, upper corner. That works out to about 40 $ a game, 80$ a pair. So if the price goes up to 50$ a pair, or a jump to like 800-850$ a year, Im okay with that. Break 900 to a Grand and I am going to walk.

For a thousand dollars, I can get a damn nice setup. I can have money left over to buy a couple of regular tickets for a select few games. So I guess that is where my price point is.

My question is this: what happens when the blackout comes? It doesn't matter if you have a nice setup if your still listening on the radio. If you buy the NFL viewing packages, do you still get local games if they are blacked out on the local TV stations? Or can you watch them live on the computer? Im guessing by the time the new stadium is built, technology will offer up a better solution....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:32 pm 

I watch most Falcon games online, using my brothers DirecTV Sunday Ticket Max online password. They live in VA so the local team is the Redskins. That means I can't watch Redskins games online (had to hit up a bar in Week 5). But I also believe blackout rules do apply as well. I'm not 100% on that but I do recall a couple of times clicking on another game and a popup saying that I can't view the game due to blackout rules.

Not sure if that's the answer you were fishing for.

It was obvious that PSLs were likely when Blank dodged the question of rising ticket prices at this year's State of the Franchise event. He basically deferred to McKay who gave a wishy washy answer. I guess the only hope was that some Deus Ex Machina would swoop in and cut the cost of the stadium for the team and thus make them unnecessary, but that never happened.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:49 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I hear what you're saying, FG, but it just comes down to the SOS on multiple levels with one of them being the market. Businesses will do what they can. The evasive shuffle to questions is troubling but not so much from Blank's end as public "representatives." The number of people I have heard who think we need a new stadium who are not employed by the Falcons I could count on one hand. Stadiums do not attract fans--teams do. But this is how it goes.

I went for years and years without STs and probably watched 85% of the games for cheaper than face price. Through the 90s I doubt I ever paid more than $20 for a ticket. It's a hassle but you gte to sit in a lot of different places and if you can't make it you don't have to sell your tix. I never had problems buying playoff tix. Honestly, the thing that bothers me the most about this other than the taxpayers getting hosed is the environmental wastefulness of it. It's unconscionable.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:14 am 
Superstar
Superstar

i'VE SAID THIS BEFORE BUT ITS TRUE. I know a sponsor of the Falcons and he's just said " When tickets are not sold out he'll give them to us. Their is no waiting list!! Blanks ego can't stand the thought of us not making him look great....SO HE DOES IT HIMSELF.

He's got us winning so he's turned a corner; if we don't win a playoff game; I don't know what he will do. In my 20s I ran Tony Romo's
and got such a kick of about 15-20 Falcons coming to the bar. I encouraged them because I would buy their drinks. (always off Sunday's during the season.)

I'M so over meeting a football player or even knowing them it makes my decision easier.Things just change a lot from 23 to 61.

I will be very interested to see what my Pls would go for. My guess is 5,000 since its a great seat and Blank will finance it over some years is my guess!!