It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is Grimes worth $10.7 million?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:15 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

They have the estimated franchise tag numbers for next year and for CBs it's $10.668 million.

Should the Falcons re-tag Grimes or just let him walk outright?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -near-121m

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Is Grimes worth $10.7 million?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:46 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I love Grimes and it still annoys me that he's done for the season but that money is pretty outrageous. I think McClain has played himself into a job at nickel back for now and we stick with Samuel/Robinson at least for one more season.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Obviously we won't franchise him again, and if we go to resign him, with him being middle aged and coming off a leg injury his price league wide will drop. I think we could probably do 4 years 22 million if we want him, and I think we should.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:55 am 
Superstar
Superstar

What Davewaz said...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:44 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Wait until we see his value on the open market. If it makes sense to bring him back, do it. Otherwise, use the money somewhere we need it more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:30 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

buh bye Grimetime. Choose to sit? Sit you a$$ on down and watch this team win a Superbowl without you. :liar:

Karma is a bitch. Dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya :dance:

I say let him 'test the market'..see how well that works out for ya. :so:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

fun gus wrote:
buh bye Grimetime. Choose to sit? Sit you a$$ on down and watch this team win a Superbowl without you. :liar:

Yeah because tearing an Achillies means he can actually play. So ignorant.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:22 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Emmitt wrote:
fun gus wrote:

Yeah because tearing an Achillies means he can actually play. So ignorant.

:lol: I knew if I tossed out the bait either you,Pudge or BnB couldn't resist!

:clap:

Johnthan Banks if he falls to round two, please.

Last edited by fun gus on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:29 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I don't see him being worth $10 million per but it is really pretty hard to know what kind of player he will be on the other side of this injury. I always loved BG the player and have no idea what was up with th einjury last year but I sort of think if he could have played and been effective he would have. He is still fairly young unlike our other CBs. Besides, my manlovehas now shifted to McLain. :dance:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If we can sign him to a cap friendly deal I would be all or cutting Robinson (I would ask him to take a pay cut first) and going into the year with Samuel, Grimes, and McClain. Hopefully we add a mid-round pick to the frey for depth and to groom to take over for Samuel or Grimes (Which ever one starts to decline first). However like it was stated above I would let him test the market first and I would have to be sure that he was going to be the same player he was on the other side of this injury before I would offer him anything.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:38 pm 

I'm not taking your bait fun gus, but here's my argument of why you would tag him...

Two words:

Dunta... Robinson.

Yes, I know Dunta has had his best year as a Falcon this year. Next year, Dunta has a $8 million base salary and a cap hit of $9 million. $3 million of that becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster on the 5th day of the league year (approx. March 16).

That figure isn't that much lower than the franchise tag we could possibly give Grimes. Now granted, the full $10.7 million for Grimes would be guaranteed.

And of course, this is where the doctors would step in. Of course, that's info that we aren't privy to, and probably will never be. But let's assume for an instant at the end of this season in his post-season physical, the doctors like the progress he's making and think he'll be ready to play (albeit at a lesser level) by Week 1 this year.

And I think the question becomes, would you rather have a healthy, 31-year old Dunta Robinson for $9 million lining up across from Samuel/McClain or a 30-year old Grimes for $10.7 million?

Now for me, I'd take Grimes. Because despite Dunta "playing his butt off" (relative to himself), he's still a very underwhelming cover corner. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the 104th best cornerback in coverage out of 114. The majority of the guys that are rated outside the Top 100 are middle/late-round rookies.

So in my mind, if Grimes is only 70% of the player he was prior to the injury, he's still probably a better cover guy than Robinson. The improvements Robinson has made have been primarily in run support (where he was horrible last year, but is now back to being good).

So if I'm going to investing that much money in a guy, I'd rather roll the dice on the upside of Grimes (if he can get back to his former self) than what I know is Robinson, who has zero upside.

Nolan's scheme has optimized the ares of Robinson's game that he's good at. By limiting him in zone coverage, making him an effective blitzer and run support corner. But there's nothing Nolan can do to make Robinson better in coverage. His issues there come from his sloppy technique, footwork, and inconsistent awareness.

IMO, the only reason why you would choose Robinson over Grimes is because he's the known commodity.

Now of course the other option besides guaranteeing $10.7 million to a guy that you're not even 100% sure is going to play this year is to try and give him a modest, 1-yr. "prove it" deal, or something that is something like 3 yrs, but has a low cap hit in Year 1, and then has a big option/roster bonus in Year 2 as part of the "prove it" factor.

And for the record, while I'm a big fan of Bobby Mac. He hasn't shown me enough this year to make me think he's ready to be the starter. At this point, I still want at least another year or two of grooming him, with the hopes that he'll take over for Asante Samuel come 2015.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:42 pm 

I think the Falcons should allow Grimes to test the market and see what his price settles at. If you can get him for 2-3 years at what Robinson is making $8-$9 million per maxing out around $10 million it is worth the investment. If Grimes fields contract offers that take him north of $10 million you let him walk.

Of course, if the Falcons let Grimes walk I think it becomes mandatory that Atlanta invests a 1st or 2nd round selection in a corner because I don't see Robinson sticking around any longer either.

Unless the Falcons get lucky enough to rummage out another Asante Samuel like deal next off season which seems unlikely.

I'm not opposed to renting Grimes with the franchise tag for another season either. Of course, if we do that Robinson is pretty much out the door at that point.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:47 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Crap Grimes got beat for years and I feel like a guy as small as he is; his prime comes even earlier. (like it might have been this year) I don't want it between Grimes and
Robinson.

I say let Grimes test the market and take him at no more than 4 million a year.....

Lets deal with Robinson and not consider Grimes in the equation. We could have them both and suck or lose them both and perhaps be better. (now don't ask me how) I get to ask some questions and Thomas D. gets to find solutions(:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:07 pm 

I wouldn't be surprised if no market really surfaces for Grimes all things considered. Ala John Abraham.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:35 pm 

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/1 ... ers-growth

Pro Football Weekly wrote:
• One of the numerous reasons the Bengals' defense looks formidable entering January is the play of CB Leon Hall. We're told Hall really looks like he's rounded back into top form. Hall is in his first season back after an Achilles injury that prematurely ended his '11 campaign.

Hall ruptured his Achilles on November 13, 2011 and returned fully to practice on July 30, 2012. That's about 8.5 months recovery time. That would mean for Grimes, it's possible he could be back ready to go by the end of May. :fingersx:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:08 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Man, I really feel like the feeling "let a man go a year to early vs. keeping him a year too long" is true here. I really don't think teams will be thinking Grimes is special coming off his injury ....... Besides I want his money going towards Tony G, he's just so valuable to this team. Tony is just still making plays and I don't see any sign he wouldn't help us next year. Grimes had one good year and I've already forgotten about it!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:57 am 
Superstar
Superstar

dirtybirdnw wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if no market really surfaces for Grimes all things considered. Ala John Abraham.

Agreed, the more I think about it, I feel like $6 million for 4 years seems about right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:22 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

No, he's not worth 10.7 to us, considering the injury and the current situation we have in the cap. If he wants to come back for a reasonable number them I'm fine with it, but if he's sticks to that number, see ya.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:20 am 

Oh, I forgot that because Grimes had the franchise tender last year, his new franchise tender would be 120% of the previous year's. So it wouldn't cost $10.7 million to bring him back, it would be around $12.33 million. :oops:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:47 am 
Superstar
Superstar

No way we franchise him again. I honestly don't know if I bring him back next year... I'd offer him a one year deal for about 7-8 million. Otherwise, let him test the market a bit. I don't think many teams would be willing to offer him top money after coming back from an Achilles injury. If someone wants to pay him, more power to them.

You all must know that I love the heck out of Grimes. It sucks, big time, that he got hurt. But he got himself a decent payday with the franchise tag. I'd love to see him stick around, but I just don't think that he will be the same guy when he comes back.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:22 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

if we go to the Superbowl without him, he's worth 5 million tops.

Provided he's ready to play. If he's pouting about it, show him the door. :snooty:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:57 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Much as I loved the little man, if what I heard today was 'correct' we will not be in Grimetime next year.

Mind you, it's all media speculation, but take this for what it is 'worth'..Today on 'Archer and Bell' on 790, they discussed Grimes return. Archer basically said 'well, you can tell when guys are serious about rehabbing. How much they return to Flowery Branch...I have to say, the word around the camp is Grimes has not put in his 'due diligence'. He has missed time with the recently fired strength and conditioning coach , and the medical team. In fact, he's been downright invisible. If I had to trust my gut, I would say they have already moved on, both of them'...

Now, to be FAIR: the guy works for the Organization. But I have been a listener for awhile, and you kinda get a sense when someone ( especially a color guy) is towing the company line, or saying something that is true that could possibly get him in trouble. That is what I took away from this segement.

Methinks the reports of the sittin' and quittin' might be a little more 'true' then 'false' 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:37 am 
Superstar
Superstar

If he leaves Atlanta, I hope he plays for the Giants so I can watch Grimetime on a weekly basis.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:17 am 

If healthy, he'd be a great fit in New England.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:16 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

keep up the tradition and send him to the Raiders, where all the misfit,malcontents CB's go :dance: