It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bubble players
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:32 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Last year, there was some turnover going into training camp, as some interesting players were released: Tod McBride, Bob Whitfield, Derek Ross, and Will Overstreet. Sure, all were on the bubble going into camp, but it was still a bit shocking to see them all get cut by summer's end.

What players do you think are on the bubble this year. Any big names in danger of being cut?

I would identify these guys as bubble players: Ty Detmer, Martin Bibla, Antwan Lake, and Kevin McCadam.

Many think Randall will take Detmer's job from him, and I tend to agree. I would say both are about even heading into the mini-camps. If Randall looks sharp early in camp, he has a good chance of moving ahead of Detmer. But I think these next few weeks will be the biggest indicator.

Bibla will battle with Lehr, Herndon, and Moore for a backup OG spot. It's doubtful the Falcons keep more than 2 of those players. One of those 3 names will earn the starting LG spot, and the other will be his primary backup. Considering Lehr and Herndon have logged significant time at other positions, they make better depth than Bibla does, although Bibla has worked at all 5 positions, he just hasn't got a lot of work on Sundays. I liked how Bibla played in his 2 starts in '03, but it's clear that he's not so highly considered by Gibbs, based on PT last year.

Lake of course is definitely on the bubble with the additions of Mitchell, Babs, and Shropshire. I'd be very surprised if he made the roster. And rightfully so.

McCadam is likely on his way out, esp. if the team goes after Schulters next month. He offers versatility to play both FS and SS and is good on ST, but the exact same can be said of Coady, Harris, and even Carpenter (although the ST is not as polished in his case). His best shot is that Scott takes longer to heal than expected and he is able to make big strides in camp in his absence. With Pruitt breathing down his neck, though he's a longshot IMO.

I think 2 possible sleepers are: Eric Beverly and Dez White.

I think White is a longshot to be cut because he started last season, obviously meaning the coaching staff has some sort of faith in him, but if White and/or Jenkins come on strong and take his starting job, he may be hard-pressed to stick around because he is not the ST guy that Jenkins or Finneran are.

Beverly is a long shot to be cut as well, but considering the team would like a blocker that offers more as a receiver, he's expendable. Also consider that Shawn Draper played TE in college, he offers similar abilities. Of course Draper will be hard-pressed since he's over in Europe playing OT and doesn't have a huge grasp on the offense, but I would say he is a potential sleeper. If Cucci, Anelli, or Blakley show significant improvement as blockers, Beverly may find his expensive contract out the door.

I don't really see anybody else major being on the bubble. Maybe Carpenter, particularly if we sign Schulters and Coady/McCadam/Harris had good camps. But you never know, injuries could really change some things. It basically lost McBride, Ross, and Overstreet their jobs last year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:09 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Price and McClure.

Price for obvious reasons.

McClure: Chris Spencer was 1 of 4 guys brought in as targets of our first pick. Matt Lehr was signed to take a spot on the line. We all know the coaches love Mookie Moore so I expect him to stay at LG. I think Lehr has a shot at beating McClure out for his job....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:11 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Capologist wrote:
Price and McClure.

Price for obvious reasons.

McClure: Chris Spencer was 1 of 4 guys brought in as targets of our first pick. Matt Lehr was signed to take a spot on the line. We all know the coaches love Mookie Moore so I expect him to stay at LG. I think Lehr has a shot at beating McClure out for his job....
I see Moore as more of a backup if he gets hurt again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:38 am 

I've liked some of the things I've seen from Moore over the years, but I don't pretend to believe he is a starting caliber NFL lineman. He has some skill, but he's a backup pretending to be a starter, which is basically what we've had at the LG position since Robbie Tobeck moved from there in 1997.

I do believe that the coaching staff wants to challenge McClure, but I don't think he's in any danger of losing his roster spot this season. Maybe next year he could be in trouble, but not yet.

If Price were cut this summer, it would mean we'd reap $2 million in cap savings. BUt that would basically mean guys like Jenkins and both Whites really looked poised to have their best NFL seasons.

Profile E-mail