It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Impressed with Teddy Bridgewater last night
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:03 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Louisville routed Florida in a major upset, similar to Utah beating Alabama a few years back.

But Teddy Bridgewater was impressed. His pocket presence impressed me a lot, as he was able to deftly side-step Florida's pass rushers, reset his feet and throw the ball downfield with relative precision. He is just a sophomore (so rising junior), and thus could be in the running for the Top QB selected next year. With Tyler Bray expected to go pro, Aaron Murray, Logan Thomas, and Zach Mettenberger are the highest rated rising seniors. Bridgewater and Florida's Jeff Driskel are atop NFL Draft Scout's top 2015 QB prospects. Driskel really struggled in the game last night, staring down reads and forcing throws into coverage.

One concern about Bridgewater is that they play in a scheme that requires him to throw the ball to spots, as opposed to really making precise throws. It's still progression reading, but it doesn't require as much accuracy as most NFL offenses require because the location of the ball is predetermined.

There were several throws that Bridgewater made that I thought were inaccurate passes, throwing behind his receiver and the like. There were times where he threw guys open because he threw to a spot, and the WR went to go get the ball.

All in all, the biggest question mark I have about Bridgewater going into next season will be his accuracy. But I don't think being subpar there is as huge an issue as people think. I thought the same (and still do) about Cam Newton. And basically what that means is that offensively, you don't want to get into games where you ask your QB to drop back and throw a ton. Instead, you want to balance him off with a steady running game. The good thing about Newton, is that he's very accurate on the vertical passes, and with a play-action based run-oriented offense that can make him highly effective. if Bridgewater is the same, then his lack of accuracy isn't going to be a glaring concern for me moving forward.

But based off last night's game, I have no problem putting Bridgewater ahead of the seniors as the best QB prospect going into 2014. I'll have to watch more of him during the off-season, but I was impressed.

Profile E-mail