It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trouble Sleeping?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Am I the only one with this problem? After the Falcons loss [and same in 04 and the SB] I can't get to sleep, the score, the missed chances, the plays that could have turned the tide keep me awake. Seriously, is this a sports sickness?

J. Mora JR.

Post subject: Re: Trouble Sleeping?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:18 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It does affect my sleeping only to the degree that I think about things like what the Falcons can do to improve, and when my brain is revving at 120 mph, it's impossible to sleep. But as far as the disappointment goes, it doesn't affect my sleeping. It makes me depressed, but when I lay down at night, that sort of sadness doesn't keep me from sleeping.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:58 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Not me. The Braves got me over my post-season sports anxiety. Sad to say, but I'm accustomed to my team losing in the playoffs.

Also, I think I got all of my disappointment out of the way when we blew the lead in the Seattle game. I pretty much expected exactly the same thing to happen in the San Francisco game. We come out with something to prove, then after halftime, we come out with something to protect. The difference in our approach to the two halves was obvious in both games, and it does sicken me to a point. However, I'm accustomed to Atlanta teams being playoff losers. It's no big deal anymore.

That said, I will continue to root for them. (Well the Falcons anyway... Major League Baseball no longer keeps my attention.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:20 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'm kind of with Robert on this one. The 96 World Series cured my sports sickness. I was more distraught in the 31 seconds between choking the lead to SEattle and our winning FG than I was after losing Sunday night. It just isn't that big of a deal. Focus on things you can actually have an impact on. It's like worrying about the weather.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:54 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I still have flashbacks in my head like what if Harry Douglas kept standing or what if Matt Ryan saw that Tony Gonzalez was open on 4th down. Ugh very frustrating.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:33 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The funniest line of the weekend: After the game, I went back to gulch to hang out for a few minutes and say some goodbyes. I've been to happier funerals. Someone (not sure who) said "The Falcons will never win the Super Bowl in my lifetime". MONKEEE (without looking up or missing a beat): "Do us all a favor and f**** kill yourself!" Hahaha.

Just had to share the above from the Roost. I laughed until I cried. :lol: :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:32 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Emmitt wrote:
I still have flashbacks in my head like what if Harry Douglas kept standing or what if Matt Ryan saw that Tony Gonzalez was open on 4th down. Ugh very frustrating.

When exactly in the fourth did Ryan sustain his injury? Im trying to remember exactly what play he got nailed on. I think it was when he made that 22 yarder to Harry that your speaking of. If I am right, he looked gimpy the rest of the game ( or what was left in it )..

BUt here's what helped me sleep. Watching Sunday's Pats beatdown, and the idea that a broken Matt Ryan or a sucky Luke McCown tried to take on that Ravens D in New Orleans. A healthy Matt Ryan could have beaten Tom Brady there. Im not so sure about him vs the Ravens. And the idea of a broken Matty or L.M. going into the Superdome would have been much, much worse. It would have made Super Bowl XXIV: San Francisco 55, Denver Broncos 10 look like a competitive game. The Falcons would have made history: it would have been the most embarrasing, lopsided scoring Superbowl and that record would have stood for a 'long long time'. And it would all play out in front of the mocking, laughing, dancing idiot Saints fans, and we would be hearing about this Superbowl for decades.

It would have been an embarrassment on a scale even greater then Eugene Robinson.

It would have crushed Matt's confidence. It would humiliate Arthur Blank.

In a Disney film, D Davis comes in, and ressurects the team and beats the 'schoolyard bully' to the orchestral swell... In reality, Matt goes in for a quarter with his shoulder numbed, struggles, get's even more injured ( because of course Smith puts him in there!) which screws us up for NEXT season, then Luke McCown comes in and loses the game for us. In historical fashion. This isn't my 'imagination', it is absolutely how all this plays out if Harry Douglas doesnt trip. ( caveat: Im assuming it was on that play Ryan got injured. If it happened later, then we could assume maybe Ryan doesnt retake the field, or only to kneel:leaving him uninjured for the SB)

Instead, we left the season playing tough. We won a playoff game and was in the championship game until the last minutes. Actually, us losing that game: and in that fashion was probably the absolute best outcome for everybody involved ( ducks head and waits for the flames to begin! :ninja: ) :so:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Fun Gus actually looking at something in a positive mindset? :angel:

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Matt got hammered twice on that drive Fun Gus. The first time, he got his lip busted up. The 2nd time was the 2nd down pass to Snelling, where Ryan got his left shoulder driven into the ground. I believe that could have been called, "roughing the passer," but apparently the zebras were told to let them play.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:24 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
Matt got hammered twice on that drive Fun Gus. The first time, he got his lip busted up. The 2nd time was the 2nd down pass to Snelling, where Ryan got his left shoulder driven into the ground. I believe that could have been called, "roughing the passer," but apparently the zebras were told to let them play.

well, sh*t! So that means had Harry kept his footing and streaks into the endzone, then maybe Matty doesn't see the field again? It's hard to say. This is why the 'what if' game sucks sometimes. :(

I guess then we would have given them the ball left with about 4 minutes left on the clock. Im not too sure our D could have prevented them from driving the ball down and scoring again: but the D did manage to hold them off and give Matt one last try, but he was broken by then. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I guess after years and years of us losing 5 out of our first 6; I take the regular season very seriously because just like Pitt,
or N.Y. post season is not guaranteed!! I'm on edge until we make post season.

Once we make post season I get emotionally ready to possibly lose because the team in the wrong colored jersey's are usually
very tough opposition. Its also a blessing to see playoff games. I want to win a Super Bowl but so does all 31 teams that did not win it last year. I thought in 98 we could really win the Super Bowl and the Eugene Robinson thing did make me bitter but
I was in Miami and at least got to see a Super Bowl.

Since then most losses have been easier to take because I have felt each Falcon team had flaws I considered
could get us beat. Not being able to rush a Qb is a tough way to make a Super Bowl, so although we could have won, I was
upset a few hours. I figured those millionaires would get over it too, AND it is a game. I use to rant and cuss and more for weeks but now I figure they should have played better and as BnB said its not in my control. I really do care but after 45 years
of being a fan, the losses are easier to take because I realize 31 other teams have to take a loss to close their season out too.!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yeah Ryan was hurt on the when they were already down around the goal line but had HD83 kept his footing Ryan would have not have been hurt but on the downside we probably wouldnt have been able to stop them from getting a FG.

For me its not the fact that they loss, because I knew that the Niners were a tough out. It was the manner in which they lost the game, they just gave the city and the fans so much false hope the way they came out and jumped on the Niners 17-0. I have been a Falcon's fan for 18 of the 26 years I have been alive so its easy to say that this is the most invested I have been in anything in my short life. To watch them do everything that they did to blow this game it just irks me had this happened four years ago I probably would have been suffering from mild depression if it werent for my beautiful Fiance and daughter. So they really put your football losing in perspective but at the same time the first two days were tough. Well Pudge this will be the only football oriented site that I visit until Free Agency and the draft time.

P.S. Is anyone else as disinterested in the SB seeing as how close we were to being there?

Last edited by The Mattural on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yeah, the wife asked what we are doing for the Superbowl... My response, "I don't care." So yeah, right there with ya Mattural.