It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reggie over Lattimore or Bradshaw?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:35 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

By Jeff Schultz
In his five seasons since being handed a sledgehammer and a paint brush, Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff has turned over close to 90 percent of the roster and benefitted with five winning seasons and four playoff berths. And as he knows, that’s still not good enough.
Sports franchises are measured by championships, and Dimitroff worked for one of the greatest in New England. He works for an owner, Arthur Blank, who dreams of Super Bowl trophies. The fact that the Falcons won a playoff game this season and came to within 10 yards of playing on the NFL’s final Sunday was progress, but not nearly the finish line.
“It was an emotional ending to the season, as close as we were,” Dimitroff said during Super Bowl week in New Orleans. “But we have a number of areas to focus on, and that’s what’s driving us to move forward. We have decisions to make, some financial and some talent-wise, so we can make this team better and win those big games down the stretch.”
At the end of the season, only eight players from before Dimitroff’s arrival in 2008 remained among the 70 on the active roster, injured reserve and practice squad. The Falcons don’t need a wrecking ball, but they do need some help. They need a few pieces on both sides of the ball to win those aforementioned games down the stretch. Dimitroff has made significant moves every offseason: drafting Matt Ryan and signing Michael Turner in 2008; trading for Tony Gonzalez in 2009; signing Dunta Robinson in 2010; trading up for Julio Jones and signing Ray Edwards in 2011; acquiring Asante Samuel in 2012.
Not all of those worked out. If there was a Mount Rushmore of free-agent busts, Edwards would be on it -- modeling underwear.
What's not known is how much money the team is willing to spend, given the need to re-sign safety William Moore, Gonzalez's potential return and the anticipation of a new contract for Ryan. But there will be a number of intriguing players on the open market. Here's a few who could help the Falcons:

1. Reggie Bush, RB, Miami (or Steven Jackson, St. Louis): Most expect Michael Turner will be released. Bush would be a significant upgrade, and he fits the Falcons’ offense perfectly. He can run, catch and is terrific in the open field. Two potential issues are salary demands (his 2012 base salary was $4.5 million) and his desire for more total touches (he prefers being a featured back to being one in a rotation). Can he be satisfied? Jackson is another interesting option. He's expected to void a player option and become a free agent. Retirement seems unlikely (he'll be 30 in July). He might be the banger the Falcons need in short yardage, and there's no need for him to carry the ball 250 times.

2. Dannell Ellerbe, LB, Baltimore: He was undrafted out of Georgia, but ascended into a solid regular on the Ravens' defense, next to Ray Lewis. Now he's looking to cash in. When I mentioned the Falcons’ possible interest to Ellerbe during Super Bowl week, he smiled and said, “Whoever offers the best contract.” The Ravens have to re-sign Joe Flacco and others. They may not be able to keep him.

3. Michael Johnson, DE, Cincinnati: The Falcons need a young pass rusher, even if they bring back John Abraham. The best one on the market is Dallas outside linebacker/end Anthony Spencer, but he'll likely be kept. The same could be said for Johnson, formerly of Georgia Tech, who is coming off an 11½-sack season. But the Bengals have a history of being cheap with players, and Johnson’s market value is high. He’s from the South and probably wouldn’t mind coming back to Atlanta.
4. James Harrison, LB, Pittsburgh: It’s a little outside the box, but hear me out. Mike Peterson won’t be back. The Falcons' need Harrison's presence on the field (even in a part-time role) and in the locker room. The Steelers have cap issues, and Harrison might be sacrificed.

5. Offensive line (tackle/guard): There likely will be changes. Center Todd McClure’s future is uncertain, and left tackle Sam Baker’s contract is up (he rebounded with a strong season, but his contract value is uncertain). Guard Peter Konz could replace McClure at center. The market will be flooded with tackles. The best options may be Kansas City’s Branden Albert (left tackle, but he also projects to guard) and New Orleans left tackle Jermon Bushrod.

Dimitroff always makes at least one significant move. This year likely won't be any different.

Post subject: Re: Reggie over Lattimore or Bradshaw?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

I will prolly get roasted over this, but I have faith that Snelling and Quizz will only continue getting better, and that we just need a complementary RB to fill out the roster. Say goodbye to A Smith and Turner, bring in through the draft or FA a third RB, and if we need any further 'depth' it can be found on the roster or the trasdh heap.

:ninja:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:12 am 
Superstar
Superstar

fun gus wrote:
I will prolly get roasted over this, but I have faith that Snelling and Quizz will only continue getting better, and that we just need a complementary RB to fill out the roster. Say goodbye to A Smith and Turner, bring in through the draft or FA a third RB, and if we need any further 'depth' it can be found on the roster or the trasdh heap.

I won't roast you. ;) I've said it before, I think the key to improving our run game is to improve the lines. I don't think anyone is going to be effective running the ball for us if the defense's front 7 is in our backfield at the snap every play.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:18 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
fun gus wrote:

I won't roast you. ;) I've said it before, I think the key to improving our run game is to improve the lines. I don't think anyone is going to be effective running the ball for us if the defense's front 7 is in our backfield at the snap every play.

which is where most of my questions lie. Lets think about this for a second.

My personal preference is this: keep McClure for depth, and put Konz in at center. Sam Baker is coming back, and there will be no real 'competition' for LT. Clabo goes to RG, and hopefully Holmes can contirbute at RT, then we need to pick up a OL in the later rounds ( 3rd ,4th?) and I think we can get by on that..... :|

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:30 am 
Superstar
Superstar

There's some potential there. However, I don't know if I'm sold at Clabo holding down the RG spot... We know that's his "natural," position, but the Falcons haven't seemed to be in any hurry to play him in his natural position. Why is that? We've had a number of tackles that should be able to hold down the RT spot, but they've always gone with Clabo over there. It's like moving him inside has never even been a consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:30 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The only reason to move Clabo inside is if you have a better RT. Let's say you move Clabo inside, and Holmes plays RT. But what happens if Holmes is J'Marcus Webb v2.0 at right tackle? How has moving Clabo inside helped you? Sure, you shored up that spot, but you also weakened right tackle. It's a wash.

And I'm not sure I buy any longer that RG is Clabo's "natural" position. He's been the starting RT for 5 years now, right? And for probably 3 or 4 of those years, if not all 5, you could argue that he's been our best O-linemen. Given his relative good play and consistency, why is RT not his natural position?

Secondly, I'm not going to roast you for the Quizz/Snelling comment because there was a point in time when I was trumping that (a year ago). But I no longer believe it. Quizz has always been a player that would work best in a zone blocking scheme. That is not the scheem the Falcons run. In order to become a really good ZBS team, you'd have to make guys like Clabo, Blalock, and even Konz lose weight. They don't have the lateral quickness with their heavier frames to really get the sort movement that the ZBS requires. The Falcons are also losing their best player for that scheme in McClure in all likelihood. One of the weaknesses of Konz this past year was his inability to block effectively on the 2nd level. In a ZBS, it is very important that your center can get downfield and block. That is still one of the strengths of McClure, as there is nobody better on the roster that can hit more assignments downfield than him. If you move Konz to center, and adopt more ZBS-heavy system in order to try and feature Quizz, it might not work out. Konz comes from the power scheme of Wisconsin that was similar to what Boudreau ran here in Atlanta. It's why Konz's former teammates like JOhn Moffitt has struggled in Seattle, who run a ZBS, while guys like Kevin Zeitler have excelled in Cincy, because of the power scheme they run.

And then the question is well maybe Quizz will do fine as the lead back with only slight modifications to the scheme. But what people forget because they are only remembering the highlights of Quizz's running (i.e. the highlight vs. SEA or the key runs at the ends of a few games midseason) is that he was not very productive this year. He was about as productive as Turner, if not slightly more. But remember, Turner was arguably the league's worst starting RB in the league. If Quizz is slightly better, then he's just Darren McFadden/Mikel Leshoure good. You still have a team that is likely going to be one of the worst rushing teams in the league. That's why I think it's important that the Falcons target a lead back. Ideally, you get a Doug Martin who can take over as a sustaining lead back that can get 250+ touches next year and be highly productive. At the least you want to find someone that is worthy of 150 touches and split reps similar to Bernard Pierce/Mark Ingram.

Consistency and reliability are the #1 and #2 factors you look for in a RB. You want a guy that can give you the same thing for 16 games. That's what separates the good backs from the not so good ones. Otherwise, you're basically making the same mistake that teams like CAR did with DeShaun Foster as their lead back, or the Falcons have had with Turner the past 2 years, or McFadden in Oakland etc. You don't want a starting tailback that over 16 games is only going to give you 4 or 5 good games. That's basically the type of player that Quizz has thus far shown himself to be.

As for Schultz's suggestion of Bush. He's a bad fit. Bush is not a sustaining runner. He's basically a 3rd down back that doesn't block particularly well (and thus is a downgrade to Quizz in that regard). Like Turner, Bush has a ton of 1 and 2 yard runs. It's why Daniel Thomas passed him on their depth chart as the lead back, and why the Dolphins have next to zero interest in bringing him back. That's why they drafted Lamar Miller, to provide that speedy 1-2 punch. Bush like Turner of 2011 is a guy that his production thrives on big plays. But he lacks the toughness or vision as a runner to think he can be the guy the Falcons need. Especially behind our O-line. It's different in Miami, when you have one of the better run-blocking LTs in the game in Jake Long, a physical pile mover like John Jerry (which Blalock is not), Mike Pouncey who could be a Top 5 OG if not playing center, Richie Incognito, who isn't the biggest guy but is Harvey Dahl-esque. We don't have that sort of talent up front to make Bush work.

Ellerbe? I liked Ellerbe at Georgia, but what makes anybody think he's not just Ed Hartwell v2.0? He's a run-defending MLB that doesn't have great coverage abilities.

Harrison? Really Jeff? What position is he going to play for the Falcons. He's a 6-0/235 pass-rushing 3-4 OLB that has lost a step. Are we going to be matching him up against Vernon Davis and Rob Gronkowski next year?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:53 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
But what people forget because they are only remembering the highlights of Quizz's running (i.e. the highlight vs. SEA or the key runs at the ends of a few games midseason) is that he was not very productive this year. He was about as productive as Turner, if not slightly more. But remember, Turner was arguably the league's worst starting RB in the league. If Quizz is slightly better, then he's just Darren McFadden/Mikel Leshoure good. You still have a team that is likely going to be one of the worst rushing teams in the league. That's why I think it's important that the Falcons target a lead back.

good points, Pudge. But in 'defense' of Quizz, if the argument is that he 'was about as productive as Turner', by getting 2/3rd less snaps, then how can this be? It's not like they used him alot..I feel the same way about Snelling. For years we heard how he would always be a 'backup' and would never be an impact player. Yet, he does what we ask him to time and time again. Im not sure Quizz couldn't turn out to be a poor mans Sproles..He just hasn't been given the chance. But, again, he does what you ask him to.

Which is why I feel that a platoon of Snelling, Quizz and a 3rd RB ic better because we can then focus on getting line help. just my 2 cents..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:42 pm 

I just think the platoon system is the minimum of what the Falcons should do. The goal isn't to get "better," the goal should be to get "good." Better is being the 24th best team in the league, which IMO is still not good enough.

I really think getting the running game back to a level where it's among the Top 15 in the league is the next "progression" of the Falcons offense. And I just don't see Quizz or Snelling helming a group of RBs that is that good. Clearly as evidenced this past year that the Falcons don't need a good running game to be successful. But i think all would agree that it would be much more beneficial if the Falcons could do both at a high level. Throw in the eventual departure of Gonzo and the likelihood his comparison doesn't come close to his ability, whether that comes in 2013 or 2014 doesn't really matter, the best way to avoid the net loss in the passing game is by balancing it with a stronger running attack.

I can live with the Falcons drafting a godo young RB but he doesn't quite hit the ground running (like say David Wilson with NYG), and thus the Falcons are forced to use more Quizz/Snelling. But IMO that should not be the plan. Instead the plan should be to get a guy like Doug Martin that can come in right away and be the lead back, which probably means a significant investment. People can point to Alfred Morris as a late round success story, but let's not forget he's playing in the Shanahan offense (another zone blocking scheme) which has made lesser RBs look great. Not a slight to MOrris who is a very good RB, but it's highly doubtful he hits the ground running if he goes to any of the 31 other NFL teams.

I don't disagree on the Sproles comparison with Quizz. But let's not forget that in NO, Sproles has averaged about 4.6 carries per game (Quizz averaged 5.9 last year). His primary value in NO is as a 3rd down back, as a receiver (5.6 receptions per game) and blocker. Quizz already serves that role.

IMO, the ideal Falcons RB is a guy that can add similar value on 3rd downs as Quizz. But also add significant value on 1st & 2nd down. That way at the end of games when the Falcons and Ryan are driving, you're not pulling your best RB off the field as we often did with Turner. But that means he's not only playing in the 4th quarter when we have leads, but he's also playing in the 4th quarter when we're behind.

That's why I like Bradshaw. IMO, he is just as capable on 3rd downs potentially as Quizz because he is an excellent pass protector and can be a dynamic weapon on screens. And he also has the combo of power and speed to be an impact runner on 1st & 2nd down. Now, I get that people are tentative about Bradshaw given his age and injury history, but ultimately IMO the player that is the prototype for what the Falcons are looking for is Ahmad Bradshaw. Whether they get Bradshaw himself or the "next Bradshaw" remains to be seen. But you want a player that is powerful enough to run between the tackles and break tackles (which Quizz is not), but explosive enough that when he gets to the 2nd level he can take it to the distance (which Snelling is not). Now Bradshaw is not quite the latter player anymore either, but he's closer than what we have.

So that instead of constantly rotating in Quizz and Snelling based around the situation, you have 1 guy that can do it ALL.

There is no Carl Nicks this off-season that is going to be added and suddenly the Falcons are going to be a Top 10 rushing unit IMO outside maybe Warmack who the Falcons aren't going to draft. So while I want to invest in the O-line, I think the better strategy is to invest in a RB. We know that a good RB will make his blocking better.

And if you're asking me would I rather roll the dice on a RB platoon that is helmed by Quizz/Snelling, or rolling the dice on a front 5 that is composed of some combination of Baker, Holmes, Clabo, Blalock, Konz, Hawley, and Johnson, I'm going to go with the OL.

Without a major shift in the blocking scheme, I just don't see the Falcons sporting a good running game if Quizz and Snelling are the 1-2 punch.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:36 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Former South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore insisted last month that he would be recovered from his devastating knee injury in time for the start of the 2013 NFL season.

Mayock has compared Lattimore's prospects to those of Willis McGahee (2003, 23rd overall pick), Bruce Carter (2011, 40th pick) and Ryan Broyles (2012, 54th pick). McGahee's injury was the most similar, and he spent his entire rookie season on the PUP list before breaking out for 1,128 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns in his second season.

After raising eyebrows over the weekend by ranking Lattimore as a top-five prospect at his position, Mayock told reporters the former Gamecocks star will likely be drafted somewhere in the third round. Viewed as a potential early first-round pick prior to a 2011 ACL injury, Lattimore was believed to be drawing late first- or early second-round grades before tearing his right anterior cruciate, posterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in October.

Since teams shouldn't expect an NFL impact from Lattimore for two years, Mayock believes the third-round tag is "fair for him."

What's worrisome about Lattimore compared to McGahee is that the former had already shown a loss of explosiveness -- particularly as a receiver out of the backfield -- before his latest knee reconstruction.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I wouldn't use any more than a 4th on him. RB's with bad knees are like QB's with bad elbows.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

RobertAP wrote:
I wouldn't use any more than a 4th on him. RB's with bad knees are like QB's with bad elbows.

Aside from Adrian Peterson, bum knees are bad for hookers and running backs.

W

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:53 pm 

The "scary" thing about Lattimore is the multiple torn ligaments. If had just been an ACL, it wouldn't be that big an issue.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:11 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
The "scary" thing about Lattimore is the multiple torn ligaments. If had just been an ACL, it wouldn't be that big an issue.

Pudge worried about injuries? Rub some dirt on that and Walk It Off! :P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Just say no to Reggie Bush, In 2011 he was mediocre in four games and had four outstanding games against some bad defenses. Then last year outside of a game against Oakland and Jacksonville he was invisible. I really hope the Falcons dont make the same mistake I did in my fantasty league by aquiring Reggie Bush :oops:. Best bet is to see how much it would cost to get Bradshaw here if he wants to much then just draft a RB and roll with Quizz, Snelling, and a RB to be named.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:44 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

News of Eddie Lacy's recent hamstring injury that will keep him from working out this week at the NFL Combine shouldn't concern him too much. He only needs to look to the running back he backed up during the 2011 season for proof that if talent is there, a pre-Combine injury won't hurt your draft stock too much. Knee surgery kept Trent Richardson out of workouts at the Combine last year but he still ended up as the third overall player taken in the draft. Lacy has the benefit of a great year running the ball for evaluators to see and make their decisions off of, just like they did with Richardson the previous year.

Lacy took the mantle this season as Alabama's lead running back and helped take them to a national title. He rushed for 1,322 yards, averaging 6.5 yards per carry, with 17 touchdowns. He was a first-team All-SEC selection, but it was his running down the stretch that held Alabama together. He rushed for a career-high 181 yards in the SEC Championship game against Georgia and added 140 more in the BCS National Championship.

It's those kinds of performances that grab the eye of scouts and Matt Miller of Bleacher Report (@NFLDraftScout) is back once again to offer some insight into Lacy in this week's Draft Spotlight. Miller says scouts take notice of the kind of final two games that Lacy had to end his redshirt junior season.

"It definitely helps Lacy that he showed up in big games," Miller said. "I think most importantly, those big games were viewed by more head coaches and general managers at that time. Lacy dominating Notre Dame gives most NFL general managers a reference point for his success. They've seen him do it in a big game and know he can get the job done. It may not change his draft grade a ton for individual scouts, but showing up big in a marquee game definitely helps your recognition points."

So Lacy grabbed some recognition points, but did he get any from Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff? No one knows for sure what the Falcons will do in the draft because Dimitroff plays his hand extremely close to his vest, but if they were interested in adding the best running back in the draft, their position at No. 30 is a great place to do it.

"If you're going to draft a running back in the first round, this is where you do it," Miller said. "I worry about Lacy's lack of speed as a true first-round grade, but if the Falcons, or another team, decide that running back is a key priority for them, finding one in the late first round is the best bet. This is a good year for second-tier running backs, though, so I would caution teams against reaching for Lacy, or any back, when a good value can be found in other rounds."

Despite possible starting-caliber talent later in the draft at running back, Miller says he rates Lacy as a second-round back, but still believes he's the most qualified back in the draft class to be taken in the top round. He sees a bruising back that can wear down a defense, a role on offense still valued in the NFL.

"The first word that comes to mind is 'power,' " Miller said. "Lacy is a throwback to the days of big, bruising running backs who could control the pace of the game. It's demoralizing as a defense to know the offense is going to run at you and not be able to stop it — and that's what Lacy does. He's a bulldozer who slams into the defense 25 times a game and breaks their will in the process. That type of running can fit at any level as long as the blocking up front can give him a seam."

Miller thinks the Falcons offensive line is capable of doing that and sees Lacy's role with the Falcons in the physical ground game to help develop the playaction pass. He sees a stronger version of San Francisco's Kendall Hunter in Lacy and a pre-injury Rashard Mendenhall, around 2009 and '10 when he rushed for over 2,300 yards for the Steelers.

Lacy doesn't offer up any real character concerns for his potential suitor and the program he comes from is a bonus. As is the case with a handful of college programs, players that typically come from Nick Saban's pro-style Alabama program are well prepared and ready to work and Lacy seems to be no different.

"If the Falcons want a running back who can come in and contribute right away, Lacy is their guy," Miller said.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:33 pm 

fun gus wrote:
Pudge wrote:

Pudge worried about injuries? Rub some dirt on that and Walk It Off! :P

:wink:

It's just worrisome because it's a similar injury as Robert Edwards had. Remember him from UGA? 1st round pick by NE in '98, had a nice 1100-yard rookie season. Then tore all the ligaments in his knee in a rookie flag football game in Hawaii. Didn't play again until 2002 and just sparingly as a 3rd down back before his career was over.

Now I know the science has improved enough in the last 10-15 years that Lattimore will be able to come back by 2014 at the latest. But the issue is how much ability is left. He didn't look completely sharp early this year coming off his other injury last year.

If you get 100% of the Marcus Lattimore that played in 2010, then it's a worthwhile move for a team. You're getting a mid-round steal. But last year he only looked to be 85-90% of that player. And then he has a devastating knee injury on top of that. If he's only now going to be 70-75% that player, then you're basically drafting Montario Hardesty.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:55 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Falcons | Steven Jackson could sign
Tue, 26 Feb 2013 06:18:56 -0800

The Atlanta Falcons are rumored to be the front runners to sign free-agent RB Steven Jackson (Rams).

0 Comments | Source: Yahoo! Sports - Jason Cole

Falcons | Potential landing spot for Steven Jackson?
Mon, 25 Feb 2013 23:24:18 -0800

With St. Louis Rams RB Steven Jackson set to void the final year of his deal and test the free-agent market, one of the most likely suitors for his services is the Atlanta Falcons. They are expected to part ways with veteran RB Michael Turner.

FANTASY TIP: Should this happen, Jackson's RB2 value would be slightly more secure than if he were to remain in St. Louis. The Falcons are a more prolific offense, but they are clearly a pass-first team now. Jackson still has injury history for you to worry about, and he turns 30 years old before the season starts.

0 Comments | Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch - Jim Thomas

Yahoo's Jason Cole says that "based on what was happening" at the Combine, Steven Jackson's "likely landing spot" is Atlanta.
It's the same vibe Rams beat writer Jim Thomas is getting. The Falcons clearly see Jacquizz Rodgers as a mere change-of-pace option, as evidenced by the 222 carries they gave a washed up Michael Turner last season. Although Jackson has plenty of tread on his tires at age 29, he's averaged 4.23 yards per carry and 8.17 yards per reception over the last two seasons, staving off a decline by staying in tremendous physical condition. He'd be a tremendous addition for the Falcons' up-tempo offense.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:04 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I'd be happy with Steven Jackson. Workhorse who proved he can produce even behind a horrible, frankly Bears-esque OL. Plus, he is a legitimate threat in the passing game. A three year, reasonable deal with only the first year fully guaranteed.

From PFF:
Quote:
Jackson will turn 30 during the 2013 season which will scare a lot of teams off, especially given his high workload the past five years (averaging 285 carries a year in that period). But on the evidence of his 2012 year, Jackson still has something to offer, finishing the year with our 11th-highest rushing grade of all running backs.

Not a threat to take it the distance (just 20.4% of Jackson’s yardage came on runs over 15 yards, 13th-lowest of all running backs with at least 100 carries) and he’s not the most elusive back in the league (31st out of 48 in our Elusive Rating). But his 2.7 yards after contact per carry highlight a player that can still push the pile. Paired with a more explosive option, there’s no reason to think he can’t carry on doing the hard work for a team.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I might could get behind signing Jackson and spending a 5th round pick on Christian Michael and letting him learn from a real pro about how to conduct yourself in the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:49 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

The Mattural wrote:
I might could get behind signing Jackson and spending a 5th round pick on Christian Michael and letting him learn from a real pro about how to conduct yourself in the NFL.

you know that is not that bad of an idea. :up:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:19 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://m.nfl.com/new...2013-nfl-draft/

By Bucky Brooks

Published: March 1, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Modified: March 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I'm about to let you in on a little secret that is circulating through scouting circles following the NFL Scouting Combine: Michigan State's Le'Veon Bell is the best running back in the 2013 NFL Draft, and it's not even close.

Now, I know that statement certainly will cause some consternation among the legions of Eddie Lacy, Montee Ball and Giovani Bernard supporters, but there is not a more complete back in this draft than Bell. Checking in at 6-foot-1 3/8 and 230 pounds, Bell is an old-school runner with the size and strength to grind between the tackles, yet he's quick enough to get to the edge on perimeter runs. Moreover, he is a dependable workhorse capable of shouldering a heavy workload as the primary runner.

As a junior, Bell was the Michigan State offense, rushing for 1,793 yards and 12 touchdowns. He accomplished those totals on 382 rushing attempts, with seven games of at least 30 carries. Some evaluators will view the heavy workload as a concern, due to the short shelf life of running backs. But I believe the fact that Bell carried the ball extensively without incident suggests he is not only durable, but also possesses the hard-nosed mentality to be a feature back as a pro.

Bell is also a dependable receiver out of the backfield, possessing the hands and receiving skills to be an integral part of a complex passing game. Over the past two seasons, he snagged 67 receptions, showing the capacity to run basic routes from his tailback spot. Although he is not a matchup nightmare in space, the fact that he is functional as a receiver will allow an offensive coordinator to keep him on the field in every situation, preventing opponents from honing in on the running game when Bell is in the huddle.

When I broke down the game tape, I came away viewing Bell as a Steven Jackson clone. Bell not only runs with a similar gait, but he displays the patience and vision to excel in a zone-based scheme. Bell's ability to read and set up his blocks at the line of scrimmage routinely leads to big gains when plays are executed properly. Additionally, Bell displays the ability to put together a sequence of cuts beyond the line of scrimmage. From multiple jump cuts to crafty spin moves in the open field, Bell's ability to make defenders miss at his size is quite rare. With Bell more than capable of running through contact, gaining 951 yards after contact in 2012, it is not surprising he has become a favorite of scouts and coaches around the league.

Now, that's not to say Bell is without flaws. He doesn't show explosive first-step quickness, and some scouts worry about his overall toughness, despite the remarkable production. In fact, one AFC official told me he wonders if Bell views himself as a "dancer," rather than a pounder with the ball in his hands. Regardless, I believe Bell is an impact runner with the skills to make a difference in the right offensive system.

Here are five teams that are perfect fits for Bell, in my opinion:

DENVER BRONCOS

The Broncos were terrific in Peyton Manning's debut season, but the offensive potency certainly diminished when injuries to Willis McGahee and Knowshon Moreno weakened the running game. To alleviate the problem in the future, Denver could consider adding Bell to the mix. The Spartan star is a terrific fit in the team's zone-running scheme. Most importantly, he is an outstanding pass catcher with the potential to develop into a lethal weapon out of the backfield. Some of Manning's best years came with Edgerrin James behind him in Indianapolis. The Broncos could give their franchise quarterback another explosive playmate.

GREEN BAY PACKERS

Despite Aaron Rodgers' unquestioned greatness, he can't continue to single-handedly carry the Packers' offense without some semblance of a running game. Opponents have tormented Green Bay with a variety of two-man concepts, eliminating some of the open windows in the passing game. The addition of Bell would force opponents to respect the ground attack and offset those tactics. Consequently, the Packers would see more eight-man fronts with single coverage on the outside, leading to big plays off play-action. Green Bay relied on a similar formula when Ryan Grant was at his best; Mike McCarthy could dust off the blueprint with Bell in the backfield.

ATLANTA FALCONS

Dirk Koetter has transformed the Falcons into a pass-first offense, but the team still needs a rugged presence in the backfield to close out games in the fourth quarter -- especially now that the Michael Turner era has officially come to a close. Bell is a classic throwback runner who can pound the ball between the tackles. Additionally, he is effective in the screen game, which would make him a dangerous weapon in the Falcons' lineup. With Julio Jones and Roddy White attracting the defense's attention, Bell could offer Koetter a nice diversion as a dynamic running back.

OAKLAND RAIDERS

Darren McFadden is one of the top runners in the NFL, but he is at his best when playing as part of a rotation that features another workhorse. Michael Bush thrived in that role in the past, but he departed via free agency in 2012, and McFadden was incapable of shouldering the load on his own. By adding Bell to the lineup, the Raiders would alleviate some of the pressure on McFadden, while also adding some variety to the running game. Bell would provide the Raiders with some toughness, allowing the team to play power football under Dennis Allen. With both Super Bowl teams adhering to that principle, the Raiders might be wise to follow suit.

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

New offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton will continue to build the Colts' offense around the talents of Andrew Luck, but he also will rely on some of the principles utilized at Stanford to make the second-year pro comfortable. One of those tactics will be the implementation of a hard-nosed running game, fueled by the power. With his unique combination of size, strength and quickness, Bell is ideally suited to play in a scheme that mixes the power with inside and outside zones. Additionally, Bell is a natural pass catcher with the ability to run most of the routes on the route tree. Given Hamilton's vision of a balanced and diverse offense that attacks the opponent's weakness, Bell could be an explosive chess piece to utilize in key moments.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks.