It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ryan, Rodgers, and Flacco
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:55 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Rotoworld.com wrote:
Aaron Rodgers - QB - Packers
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on NFL Live that Aaron Rodgers' impending extension with the Packers is expected to be worth over $100 million across four years.
"This is a very simple deal to do for Aaron Rodgers," said Schefter. "There are many people around the league who are expecting a four-year, $25-plus million extension a year. ... That's how that deal is going to come down when it comes down." Schefter confirmed the Packers have been preparing to complete the new deal this offseason, sitting on their salary cap space to lock up Rodgers through age 35. Rodgers is 29 years old. His current deal has two years left.
Mar 19 - 4:42 PM

Likely at some point in the next 6 months, Ryan and Rodgers will get extensions on par with Joe Flacco. Rodgers deal will definitely exceed Flacco's deal. It remains to be seen if Ryan's will. My hope is that Ryan's deal comes under both. I think since both Flacco and Rodgers have hardware and Ryan doesn't, he should be No. 3. But the Falcons should put incentives in the deal that should Ryan and the Falcons win a Super Bowl in the next 3 or so years, it'll push Ryan's deal to No. 1.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ryan, Rodgers, and Flacco
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:57 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Rotoworld.com wrote:
Aaron Rodgers - QB - Packers
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on NFL Live that Aaron Rodgers' impending extension with the Packers is expected to be worth over $100 million across four years.
"This is a very simple deal to do for Aaron Rodgers," said Schefter. "There are many people around the league who are expecting a four-year, $25-plus million extension a year. ... That's how that deal is going to come down when it comes down." Schefter confirmed the Packers have been preparing to complete the new deal this offseason, sitting on their salary cap space to lock up Rodgers through age 35. Rodgers is 29 years old. His current deal has two years left.
Mar 19 - 4:42 PM

Likely at some point in the next 6 months, Ryan and Rodgers will get extensions on par with Joe Flacco. Rodgers deal will definitely exceed Flacco's deal. It remains to be seen if Ryan's will. My hope is that Ryan's deal comes under both. I think since both Flacco and Rodgers have hardware and Ryan doesn't, he should be No. 3. But the Falcons should put incentives in the deal that should Ryan and the Falcons win a Super Bowl in the next 3 or so years, it'll push Ryan's deal to No. 1.

That would be the ideal way to build a deal for Ryan. I hope that Ryan proves that he is a team first guy and gives the Falcons a break so to speak.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:59 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I know it is going to happen, but I still hate to see this much money tied up in one position. I know it is the most important position, but there are still 21 other guys starting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:27 pm 

Spanky Ham wrote:
I know it is going to happen, but I still hate to see this much money tied up in one position. I know it is the most important position, but there are still 21 other guys starting.

Which is why its important to win your title in years 1 thru 5 when your franchise Qb is still in his rookie deal and to draft well consistently year after year since you won't be able to solve many problems in FA.

Here's an interesting factoid, the average experience of a QB (counting from when he first entered pro football) that has won Super Bowl past 10 years is 5.7. None have had more than 9 years experience. You have to go back 11 years to 2002 for Brad Johnson (11th season) before you find a longtime vet. In preceding 10 years (1993-2002) six of the ten were 10+ year vets. Six of ten in past 10 years have had 5 years or less experience at the time when they won Super Bowl.

Meaning that you might argue the Falcons current window is about 4 years before things become untenable with Ryan's contract.

Both Mannings won in the 3rd year of their 2nd contract. Brees won in Year 4 of his second contract. Rodgers was year 3 of his second deal too. And I think Brady's last SB was perhaps in Year 1 of his second contract. Everyone else over the past decade has won on their rookie deals (incl. Eli's first title).

Its the price you pay, but its the far lesser of two evils, the other being not having that guy at all to merit that big 2nd contract. #1stTierQBProblems

Profile E-mail