It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Osi????
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-falcons/

The slower-than-expected (at least by them) market for free agent defensive ends is starting to pick up.

With Dwight Freeney and John Abraham in Denver, Giants free agent defensive end Osi Umenyiora’s finally on the move too.

According to Mike Garafolo of USA Today, Umenyiora visited the Falcons today. There was an earlier report that the Dolphins had some interest, but this is his first trip.

While there’s no deal at the moment, Umenyiora seemed like a solid fit for the Falcons after they released Abraham, and there was plenty of talk around the league connecting the two.

Now, we’ll see if they make a connection.

TD you sly fiscally responsible fox you 8-) ......

Post subject: Re: Osi????
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:03 pm 

If Atlanta can sign Osi at a bargain basement price (say half of Abraham's base contract) then it makes sense. Osi is 3 years younger and is more or less the same pass rusher that Abraham was.

So if Atlanta can get a little younger, save a little money, and not see any major drop off in production with Osi then it seems Atlanta comes out on top.

One thing we have going for us; Osi does live in ATL during the off season I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I've never liked Osi and seen more than enough games living in NY. He is a major liability in run defense and tends to take games off. That being said, Atlanta needs to get Freeney, Osi, or Abe. Those are three proven pass rushers that can come in and get at least 8 sacks this season. If they can get Osi, then I'd take it and be confident that he'll produce. Osi is a proven pass rusher and will be motivated rather than disgruntled compared to the last year in New York. Also don't look into the sacks too much, Giants secondary stunk which hurt his numbers.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:34 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I met Osi while I was stationed in Afghanistan he came off as a real humble and genuine guy. He was the most down to Earth of the other people there (Drew Brees, Roger Goodell, and The Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders). He said that he loves Atlanta and he stayed in Sandy Springs, so it wouldn't surprise me if they worked something out.

Sidenote: I also met Mike Nolan, the guy is a freak football mind talking to him for 30 mins pretty much changed my entire thought process when it came to defense.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:30 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The Mattural wrote:
I met Osi while I was stationed in Afghanistan he came off as a real humble and genuine guy. He was the most down to Earth of the other people there (Drew Brees, Roger Goodell, and The Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders). He said that he loves Atlanta and he stayed in Sandy Springs, so it wouldn't surprise me if they worked something out.

Sidenote: I also met Mike Nolan, the guy is a freak football mind talking to him for 30 mins pretty much changed my entire thought process when it came to defense.

That's pretty incredible. Sounds good, I have no problem with Atlanta picking up Osi at all, just think he's always been overrated.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:42 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Osi would be a nice stopgap at this point. Problem is that that he's a lesser run defender than Abe, and has never played in a 3-4 and is less adept dropping into coverage. OSI has dropped into coverage 51 times over the past four years. Abe 188 times, including 55 times in 2011 and 36 times in 2012. He is much more of a situational rusher than Abe is at this point.

I wouldn't be upset if the Falcons signed Osi one bit. But I can't imagine that was "The Plan" when they cut Abe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:36 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Tom Condon factor in Elvis Dumervil saga: 3 horses in 4-horse pass rush race

Tom Condon, the agent for the NFL stars, represents three of the four free-agent pass-rushing defensive ends who are currently in play.

Condon represents Elvis Dumervil, most recently with the Broncos, the New York Giants’ Osi Umenyiora and the Indianapolis Colts’ Dwight Freeney. The fourth, Atlanta’s John Abraham, is represented by Tony Agnone/Rich Rosa.

The Broncos first choice is to re-sign Dumervil back, but they are visiting as I type with Freeney and later today with Abraham. They have not expressed much interest in Umenyiora because of his asking price.

The Atlanta Falcons reportedly are visiting with Umenyiora today. The Falcons also have interest in Dumervil.

The Baltimore Ravens want Dumervil. They are not interested in Freeney, Umenyiora or Abraham. Dumervil is their guy.

It seems that of the Broncos, Ravens and Falcons, only the Broncos have interest in Freeney as a backup plan.

A home run for Condon, then, would be to sign Dumervil with the Ravens, Freeney with the Broncos and Umenyiora with the Falcons. Condon, of course, has always said it’s about clients’ interests not his. And he has told the Broncos the problem with their latest three-year proposal to Dumervil is year two. He has asked them to tweak it but as of Wednesday night the Broncos had not budged.

Still, Agnone and Rosa are the underdogs in this race. They could pull off an upset by signing Abraham to the Broncos. Which is a distinct possibility considering Abraham has far better recent production than Freeney.

As a side note to this agency battle, Agnone/Rosa represented Umenyiora until last summer, when he signed with Condon. It would make for a fascinating documentary. Or an interesting blog in First-and-Orange.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/201 ... ace/18967/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Abe>Osi in 2013

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:34 pm 

http://falcfans.com/falcons-pushing-for-umenyiora-7324

Falcons “pushing” for Umenyiora
March 22nd, 2013
Aaron Freeman

Adam Schefter of ESPN tweets that the Falcons are expected to try and wrap up a contract with free agent defensive end Osi Umenyiora, formerly of the New York Giants, this weekend. Umenyiora visited with the team this past Wednesday. The free agent market for pass rushers has heated up this week, with several of the remaining top veterans such as Elvis Dumervil, John Abraham, and Dwight Freeney making a number of visits.

Umenyiora, 31, first joined the Giants as a second round pick out of Troy State in 2003. In nine seasons (he missed the 2008 season with a knee injury), Umenyiora tallied a total of 75 sacks for the Giants and earned Pro Bowl bids twice in 2005 and 2007. In 2005, his 14.5 sacks were a career high as well as the leader among NFC pass rushers. His production has slipped somewhat in recent years, with his last double-digit sack season coming in 2010 where he totaled 11.5 sacks. In 2011, his production fell to 9 sacks and to 6 this past season. Part of that has been due to less reps from the improvement shown from Jason Pierre-Paul. Umenyiora has largely been relegated to situational pass rusher playing predominantly right defensive end in the Giants nickel subpackage.

He is of Nigerian descent and was born in London, England. Umenyiora owns an off-season home in Atlanta.

Profile E-mail