All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Osi is here!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:43 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

+SHARE
By NFL.com

Published: March 27, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Top free-agent pass rusher Osi Umenyiora has agreed to a two-year deal with the Atlanta Falcons, Fox Sports insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reported Wednesday.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Osi is here!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:09 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

ESPN's Adam Schefter said the deal with Umenyiora is worth $8.5 million -- with a maximum value of $12 million -- and includes $5 million in guareented money.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

We over payed, I'd be surprised if he get's 4 sacks this year and we all know he sucks against the run. We just got worse.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

DaveWaz wrote:
We over payed, I'd be surprised if he get's 4 sacks this year and we all know he sucks against the run. We just got worse.

Wow you are going way board. I've always thought Dave was one of the better posters, but I totally disagree. I've never liked Osi, but he's a proven pass rusher. With guys like Avril and Bennett gone from free agency, it was either Osi or Freeney that had to be signed. It's only about 4 to 5 million a year too so he's not that overpaid. I do think it's a small upgrade, but this isn't anything to go crazy about. Falcons needed a proven pass rusher with Abraham gone and they got one. Can't really complain, just hope he's actually motivated something that he wasn't for the Giants last year. He still can get 10 sacks as well.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:47 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pierre Paul and Tuck got all the double teams last year, Osi got none and still only had 6 sacks. In Atlanta since we literally have no other option he will get the occasional double, plus he's another year older and coming into an unfamiliar system.... I could go on and on. 4 sacks and lousy run play (his whole career) it is.

Emmit this move was more about PR than football, if you take off the fan glasses and look at who and what this guy is any optimism will quickly be muted.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:48 am 
Superstar
Superstar

FYI, I hope I'm wrong just don't see a ray of light with this one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:17 am 

Osi is a minor downgrade from Abraham @ 35. Don't forget that the Falcons still have plenty of movement available in the draft and could go nab a top pass rushing prospect to go a long with Osi & Biermann. If Atlanta can do that you have a respectable pass rush that is upgraded overall from last season.

The Falcons are no worse this year than last year with Osi coming on board IMO. The deal was better than we originally thought it might be as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:09 am 
Superstar
Superstar

DaveWaz wrote:
Pierre Paul and Tuck got all the double teams last year, Osi got none and still only had 6 sacks. In Atlanta since we literally have no other option he will get the occasional double, plus he's another year older and coming into an unfamiliar system.... I could go on and on. 4 sacks and lousy run play (his whole career) it is.

Emmit this move was more about PR than football, if you take off the fan glasses and look at who and what this guy is any optimism will quickly be muted.

Justin Tuck has done nothing in the past 2 years, he never got double-teamed. Tuck has had 9 sacks in the last two years and only stays on the field because he's a solid run defender. I've never been an Osi fan, but I see hope in him. You are going overboard once again and claiming I'm "biased" shows how incoherent you are being.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:59 am 
Superstar
Superstar

People use the term "overpaid" (or any of the various spelling variations) when they don't like a player or move.

There should be an automatic word replace like "ribs" when overpaid is "used" - because its over use has become trite, and for comic relief.

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:24 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I perceive Osi to be ribs: He doesn't bring Abraham's leadership and is coming off a middling year. Also, he isn't a plan, but a stop gap. I really hope the rotation around him steps it up quite a bit and a viable process emerges, but it feels like they chose Osi over Grimes, and I don't see that as a win.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I have to say that I'm a bit uneasy with this one. Of course, that might be because we were recently burned by Ray Edwards.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:55 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Well most free agents are ribs.

Osi is an upgrade over what we have. He's not an upgrade over what we had (i.e. Abraham). Tuck is done as an edge rusher, except he's still good when he moves inside to DT on 3rd downs, but I can't get too mad at Osi. JPP only had 6.5 sacks this past year with about 100 more snaps. So if that is the benchmark for what is good is what JPP did this past year, and a few people in this thread seemed to be saying that, then there's no reason to hate on Osi's production.

The hope is that the Falcons don't decide now that Osi is under fold to wait until the 4th round to draft an edge rusher. I'd like to see Massaquoi can do now that a Troy mentor will be taking him under his wing, but the Falcons should be far from finished addressing their pass rush. This can't have been endgame "the plan" that the brass was saying was installed on March 1 when they decided to cut Abe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Add Brandon Moore for 2m, Dansby for 2M, and Abe or any corner, and we could go into the draft looking to really add to the team instead of patch holes.

Seems a cheap price to pay to get ahead of the game instead of playing catchup.

Edit: Definitely would rather have had Dumervil for 5.5M than Osi for 4.5. Think we might have had a solution for longer that way.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:15 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Ok, I should feel better about this after reading the Grimes article in the other thread, but I don't see this as a step forward, and that's concerning.