PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:31 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Per PFW

Post subject: Re: luke mccown signs with aint's
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:43 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

was thinking about this...why bother bringing in a 3rd guy to sompete with D Davis?

the way I look at it, if Matt Ryan goes down, we screwed anyways. So rather then pick up a journeyman QB, or a project, wouldn't it be wiser to just carry 2 QB's on the roster and free up that 3rd QB spot for someone else?

I mean what did we get out of Luke McCown last year? Zero, Zilch,Nada. And now he has taken what he learned here to our hated division rival!

We have a good amount of late round picks. Do we snag a late round QB? IMO, that's a waste. If Ryan goes down, why bother fighting to go .500 or better? I say if that happens, we ride or die with the Nique. And at that point, couldn't we just pick up a QB off the slagheap?

I would only carry two QB's and free up that extra roster spot either as depth or as a developmental prospect.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1565 ... rojections

This guy would be an excellent pickup, would immediately be able to return kicks, and dare I say, if the Apocalypse happens, and we are Ryan-less, I would have him and 'Nique running the Single wing or wildcat. Make every damn play 'cute'.

Or how bout this guy:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... e/1941701/

Or, we could use that free'd up roster slot for a little depth: I like this guy

Luke Marquardt is a massive man at 6’8” and 322 pounds. He plays at the left tackle position and he is another in the line of kids that come over from the basketball court to play football. He originally went to Division II Azusa Pacific to play basketball but transferred to the football team to play tight end.

He has grown and now is an athletic tackle, using really good footwork and very long arms to keep defenders at bay. Marquardt is a long-term project at the tackle position, as he needs to add bulk and get some NFL coaching under his belt.

There are very few people in the world that are Marquardt’s size with the athleticism that he has. He is the perfect project as he has the physical tools to play at the left tackle position in the NFL.

Now while thinking about this, I stumbled across:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_quarterback_rule

"Although it is not specifically indicated, the NFL had interpreted its rule to mean that in order to designate a third quarterback, the two on the active roster must both be "bona fide" quarterbacks, not other position players merely designated as quarterbacks."

what? :shock:

and then I found this:

http://proplayerinsiders.com/nfl-team-r ... -expanded/

"Those two changes could work together, since the third string emergency quarterback didn’t count as one of the 45 active players. Teams will have the option of carrying a third quarterback in a regular roster spot, without the restrictions imposed under the previous structure, or continue to carry two quarterbacks and use the extra roster spot to increase depth at another position.

This structure could open up a specialty position for quarterbacks coming out of college offenses that run the ball extensively. Having a third string quarterback who can run could open up “wildcat” formation options for more teams. The rule change enables teams to use that number three quarterback whenever they want. Under the old system, if the third string “emergency” quarterback came into the game prior to the fourth quarter, the first two quarterbacks were not allowed to re-enter the game."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I would like us to sign Josh Portis the Seahawks back up. I saw a couple of their preseason games and he looks like he has some upside and would be better than Dominique Davis right now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:54 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

fun gus wrote:
We have a good amount of late round picks. Do we snag a late round QB? IMO, that's a waste. If Ryan goes down, why bother fighting to go .500 or better? I say if that happens, we ride or die with the Nique.

I bet if the Falcons are 7-3 at Thanksgiving with a 2-game lead on the wildcard, and then Ryan is expected to miss a month, you'll be singing a different tune.

fun gus wrote:
nd at that point, couldn't we just pick up a QB off the slagheap?

Sure, there will bodies, there always are. But few will help you.

See I think the glaring hole in your plan is that there is little to no upside to it. I know a lot of people think Davis could be really good, but surprise, surprise I disagree. Davis may develop into a solid NFL backup, but are we talking about the next Shaun Hill, Tony Romo, or Matt Moore? I don't think so. Look, of the 63 1st/2nd string QBs in the league, 6 of them are undrafted free agents. That # would grow to 7 if Seattle is successful in bringing Josh Portis back from the CFL. Throw in Brian Hoyer, who would have been on that list until the Carson Palmer trade, and you have 8 out of 65.

Now, my issues with Davis are two-fold. I don't think he's that accurate, nor do I think he'll ever be that accurate. But I do think some of those issues can be mitigated with improved mecahnics and footwork. The problem with throwing him to the wolves is as we've seen with players like Tim Tebow, Stafford, etc. when the bullets start flying players have a tendency to revert to their "natural state" of sloppy mechanics.

The other issue he has is his struggles to go beyond his first read. Now, that's an issue of all QBs, and typically takes 3 years before QBs are comfortable with that whether they are an undrafted guy or a 1st round pick.

My personal opinion is that if Davis develops, he'll be an Anthony Wright-esque player, that can be a functional No. 2, but is really on a level that is a No. 3 for most teams.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:54 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
fun gus wrote:
We have a good amount of late round picks. Do we snag a late round QB? IMO, that's a waste. If Ryan goes down, why bother fighting to go .500 or better? I say if that happens, we ride or die with the Nique.

I bet if the Falcons are 7-3 at Thanksgiving with a 2-game lead on the wildcard, and then Ryan is expected to miss a month, you'll be singing a different tune.

fun gus wrote:
nd at that point, couldn't we just pick up a QB off the slagheap?

Sure, there will bodies, there always are. But few will help you..

I dont think so. Even if all the dominoes fell your way ( which isn't consistant with Ryan and injury) at 7-3 and 2 up on the wildcard then Ryan would miss 4 games in December. Considering our division, and the thought that the NFL usually 'backloads' the schedule, who do you propose is going to come in here and be able to secure these wins? Nobody. There is nobody out there that could step in and do that. Our offense is set up and in tune to Matt Ryan, and if he goes down, so do we. Since that is the case, why not stash your 3 string QB or not carry one at all?

I think my scheme makes more sense. Get a guy like Denard, who can act as a 3rd QB, scout team guy and can also add depth at WR. Last year the Giants only carried 2 QB ( Eli D Carr) and in 2011 the 49er's carrued only 2 QB's and thier third QB was a WR.

This is a weak QB draft, and we have too many other pressing needs. We pick up a QB next season, IMO. If Ryan goes down, I;d rather have that pick be in the top 10, actually. Rather then having Byron Leftwich go out and squeek one win, which would hurt of draft status.

If Ryan goes down, we all do. :snooty:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:56 pm 

fun gus wrote:
Considering our division, and the thought that the NFL usually 'backloads' the schedule, who do you propose is going to come in here and be able to secure these wins? Nobody. There is nobody out there that could step in and do that.

As it stands today, on April 3, I would agree with you. But for the past 3 months that was not the case. Garrard, Cassel, Hasselbeck, Fitzpatrick, Campbell, Grossman, among others could have been potential options for the Falcons.

The average NFL team wins about a third of its game with backup QBs. You're probably right that the Falcons would be screwed if Ryan went down with an injury, but I wouldn't concede to that. The idea of hurting your draft stock is just plain dumb. I really hate when people say that. Are you going to be compelled to show up every Sunday to the Dome in the midst of a 2-14 season because it means the Falcons are going to have a high pick? No one wants to watch a 6-10 season either, but I guarantee you'd much rather see a competitive 6-10 than a terrible 2-14 team. And the right backup QB could essentially make up that difference.

Look, are the Falcons going to sign anyone at this point that is going to save their season in the event of a long-term Ryan injury? No. But if that player can add 1 or 2 more wins than Davis, and that keeps the Falcons playoff hopes alive, then that is well worth it.

The probability that Ryan gets hurt may be low given his history, but the NFC Championship shows that it's still a real possibility.

Maybe the Falcons smart up and deal one of their 3rd day picks for someone like Ricky Stanzi, Ryan Lindley, or Trent Edwards and gives them a legit competitor with Davis. But again, to concede the job to Davis doesn't really have much upside because what are you developing Davis for? Is he going to be a top-level backup? Are you going to deal him for picks a year or two down the road? Again, if your reason for giving the job to Davis is so you can have a higher pick in 2014, that's not a reason, at least not a good one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:22 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Heck its always a possibility!! Our standards are so low for a second string Qb, if Ryan goes down lets find Graz.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:47 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

I prolly should have started this in a new thread, but for sh*ts and giggles I decided to down down memory road..

I looked this up and found:

http://cfn.scout.com/2/744614.html

THE FRANCHISE

1. Matt Ryan, QB Boston College
Ryan is tough as nails, a great leader, and a winner who'll make a Pro Bowl or three, but he's not a once-in-a-generation type. While he's considered head-and-shoulders ahead of everyone else in the race to be the top NFL quarterback prospect in this year's draft, he's not a supreme talent like a Peyton Manning or Troy Aikman, and he doesn't do anything special like a JaMarcus Russell or Michael Vick. However, he's not David Carr or Alex Smith. Tall, mobile, smart, and with the poise and the skills to be a productive pro for the next ten years, there's no real downside; he looks the part. However, he's not the type of quarterback who'll carry an NFL team to greatness on his own, but he could eventually take a very good team over the top. Interceptions were a problem when he tried to do too much on his own, and he didn't handle the pressure well when defenses were able to hit him on a regular basis. Then again, neither did Tom Brady in the Super Bowl.
CFN Projection: First Round

2. Brian Brohm, QB Louisville
The brother of former New York Jet Jeff Brohm was groomed to be a pro passer. He's as NFL ready as any quarterback prospect having been a star for his entire career. The pressure was on from day one to produce, and he did. He's not the greatest athlete and his arm is just average, but he can make the throws needed. The big issue will be his durability. While he's an abnormally quick healer, he suffered a few major injuries throughout his career and can't be counted on for a full 16-game NFL slate. He took his lumps in a disappointing senior season, at least for Louisville, and that could be a good thing; he never quit on his team during a dud year.
CFN Projection: Late First Round

3. Chad Henne, QB Michigan
With the right coaching and a little bit of time to fine-tune his arm and his mechanics, he could turn out to be a steal. Strong with a gun of an arm, he can make any throw and can drive the ball to any spot needed at a high NFL level, but he needs time to throw and he needs a good line to work behind. He's not going to move too much and he needs to step up and fire or else his accuracy wavers; he's not going to make anything happen on his own. He could become another Matt Schaub who sits behind someone for a little while and builds a big buzz before getting a big payday in the

and then check THIS out:

6. Joe Flacco, QB Delaware
The hot prospect coming out of the off-season workouts, the 6-6, 232-pound bomber has the best arm of anyone in the draft and it's not even a debate. While he might not have JaMarcus Russell's cannon, he can fit the ball into any space, anywhere on the field. The biggest question will be his consistency which was a big problem in his workouts and will be an even bigger issue under pressure. He can't move, doesn't have a quick release, and will be a sitting duck at times unless he can make quicker reads and can get the ball out of his hands. If he has the tools around him, especially a killer pair of tackles to provide protection, he could be a superstar. If he has make everyone around him better, it's not gonna happen.

:rofl: