Post subject: Falcons to release Clabo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:03 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... son-clabo/

Falcons will release Tyson Clabo

Posted by Josh Alper on April 4, 2013, 9:41 AM EDT

AP
The Falcons are about to have a new look on the right side of their offensive line.

Right tackle Tyson Clabo is about to get a pink slip from the Falcons, according to a tweet from his agent Chad Speck. Clabo has been a starter for the Falcons since joining the team in 2006, making 101 starts over seven years with the team. He’s started every game over the last five years and was a Pro Bowl selection in 2010.

That resume makes it hard to believe this is a performance-related move from the Falcons. It’s more likely part of an effort to clear cap space to put toward a contract extension for quarterback Matt Ryan. Until Clabo is officially cut loose, the Falcons have just $2.4 million in cap space at their disposal and it would seem they feel they need more. They’ll get it by excising Clabo’s $4.5 million base salary from the rolls, although it opens up a big hole on the line.

Clabo shouldn’t suffer from a lack of suitors on the open market, where he’ll join Andre Smith as the most appealing right tackles available. Teams like the Dolphins, Eagles, Texans and Cardinals have been linked with other available tackles this offseason and you’d imagine some or all of them will want a look at Clabo.

Post subject: Re: Falcons to release Clabo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:13 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

http://m.ajc.com/news/sports/football/f ... abo/nXCX3/
Falcons to cut ties with Clabo
By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Falcons, in a salary cap move, are set to release starting right tackle Tyson Clabo later today.

“We’re really disappointed,” said Clabo, who was notified about the release at 7:30 a.m. Thursday. “This was unexpected.”

The move, which will be announced as a post-June 1 cut, will save the team $4.5 million. The team is currently $2.9 million under the salary cap and are positioning themselves to take on a big contract extension for quarterback Matt Ryan, who could become a free agent after next season without a new deal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:16 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I got to give props to Pudge, he predicted it was coming although it was 2014.

I absolutely hate this move from a personel standpoint. Clabo was the only consistently above average lineman in the lineup. We saw what happened in 2011 when the team tried to do a youth movement at offensive line. Reynolds absolutely stunk and Baker was piss-poor. Sure there will be an opportunity for Reynolds to move back to right tackle, where he's more comfortable. Also Johnson or Holmes could step up.

They have options, but you need steady offensive lineman. Hopefully guys like Johnson or Holmes could do that. I don't want to see them waste a first round pick on a right tackle, which will be extremely wasteful.

Still unhappy about this move and I think Dmitroff is playing with fire. This is a business and I know Ryan is going to make a massive contract, but you can't cut all these reliable veterans. If Babineaux gets cut, then I'm really going to be furious. Youth is always great, but we've seen it bite the Falcons in the past like in 2009 and 2011.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:29 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Just kinda surprised we couldn't get anything for him in a trade. I like Clabo and don't like this move but to sign Ryan I guess you have to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Dang, now nothing left of the old 'Dahl/Clabo angry O-line' Those two were a pair.

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:14 pm 

starley657 wrote:
Just kinda surprised we couldn't get anything for him in a trade. I like Clabo and don't like this move but to sign Ryan I guess you have to do it.

Unless you are after draft picks trading Clabo wouldn't make any sense. But at this point in his career I wouldn't imagine Clabo would have many suitors for a trade anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:15 pm 

I get the cut for cap savings but I don't get making this move without a really good #2 option.

We might resign Matt Ryan but we may not see him play after he gets slobber-knocked a couple times.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cutting Clabo doesn't make a lot of sense to me at this point. The team must have tons of confidence in Holmes and Reynolds. From my standpoint, the right side of our line looks like a pair of matadors.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:01 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Holmes should be OK at right tackle. Whether he's as good as Clabo remains to be seen.

Yeah, I figured this might happen next offseason, but didn't really see this coming this off-season. Now the Falcons have cut the best OL and DL from last year's team this off-season. I know it clears the road for players like Holmes & Massaquoi to step up, and I get that. But it definitely doesn't sit well. Goes back to Michael Jenkins release as well in regards to Julio Jones. Keeping the veteran doesn't stop the young guy from developing. You might get a 4 really good games from the young guy that you wouldn't have gotten if the veteran was there. But the veteran might have given you more in the 12 other games that you now are missing because he's gone.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:58 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

dirtybirdnw wrote:
starley657 wrote:

Unless you are after draft picks trading Clabo wouldn't make any sense. But at this point in his career I wouldn't imagine Clabo would have many suitors for a trade anyways.

Im confused. We basically cut the guy to save cap $, right? If we traded him for draft picks, do we still have to pay out his contract? If that's the case, then I sorta get it. But he wasn't terrible, either. Why not get some extra draft picks for him if you can?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:41 pm 

fun gus wrote:
dirtybirdnw wrote:
starley657 wrote:

Im confused. We basically cut the guy to save cap $, right? If we traded him for draft picks, do we still have to pay out his contract? If that's the case, then I sorta get it. But he wasn't terrible, either. Why not get some extra draft picks for him if you can?

Dirty is right his trade market would be minimal. Maybe a 6th or 7th round pick for a guy that turns 32 in October. Jeff Backus just retired and he's 35.

Saving $4.5 million in cap space by cutting him and designating him a post-June 1 cut appears to be more valuable to the Falcons than cutting him and saving just $1.4 million towards thsi year's cap and picking up a 7th round pick.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:03 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Did the Patriots continue winning Super Bowls after they began cutting guys a year too early?

This cannot be good for the locker room, and it certainly is awful for the right side of the line.

Yech.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:22 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I know this is way out in left field, but I have a feeling that TD is about to pull off a big move. Letting Grimes walk, and now Clabo, is paving the way for something. By simply re-structuring Ryan, we could have kept Clabo, and even brought in Abe, and then signed our draft with a stong corner in round 1 or 2.

I'm just tossing it out there, but could TD be thinking Revis? We are clearly going for a title, and have a gaping hole with the need for a #1 corner. The rest of the team is loaded for a 1-2 year run. It just feels like a calm before the storm. Otherwise, I don't see why we cut Clabo. Something is brewing in TD's mind. Every action this off-season speaks to going 'all in' right now. I still think the plan is to get Abe back once we re-do Ryan's deal, and that this was his plan all along (wait it out and get Abe for the vet min knowing he'd want to stay and that his demand would be low on the market). If he pulls that off, he really is a genius, becuase he'll have gotten Abe and Osi, for the same cap hit that Abe would have had on his own had we not cut him.

But i'm calling it. Our #30, our 3rd, and our #2 next year for Revis. It's the kind of move that TD is betting his career on. He nailed it with Julio (who will go down as our greatest offensive player ever when it's all said and done, with the possible exception of Ryan), and he'll do it again potentially if he goes for Revis. Clearing some cap space today is a step for him to do something. You don't cut Clabo when you have a 1-2 window, unless you have something bigger in mind.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:55 pm 

Tuggle58 wrote:
I know this is way out in left field, but I have a feeling that TD is about to pull off a big move. Letting Grimes walk, and now Clabo, is paving the way for something. By simply re-structuring Ryan, we could have kept Clabo, and even brought in Abe, and then signed our draft with a stong corner in round 1 or 2.

I'm just tossing it out there, but could TD be thinking Revis? We are clearly going for a title, and have a gaping hole with the need for a #1 corner. The rest of the team is loaded for a 1-2 year run. It just feels like a calm before the storm. Otherwise, I don't see why we cut Clabo. Something is brewing in TD's mind. Every action this off-season speaks to going 'all in' right now. I still think the plan is to get Abe back once we re-do Ryan's deal, and that this was his plan all along (wait it out and get Abe for the vet min knowing he'd want to stay and that his demand would be low on the market). If he pulls that off, he really is a genius, becuase he'll have gotten Abe and Osi, for the same cap hit that Abe would have had on his own had we not cut him.

But i'm calling it. Our #30, our 3rd, and our #2 next year for Revis. It's the kind of move that TD is betting his career on. He nailed it with Julio (who will go down as our greatest offensive player ever when it's all said and done, with the possible exception of Ryan), and he'll do it again potentially if he goes for Revis. Clearing some cap space today is a step for him to do something. You don't cut Clabo when you have a 1-2 window, unless you have something bigger in mind.

I think you are reading into the situation. Tyson Clabo for all intents and purposes was likely going to be cut next year to save cap since he'll be rolling up on 33 and probably in decline. I really think the Falcons are just clearing cap to sign rookies and maybe add a veteran or two after the June 1st cuts. Which is what makes the Clabo cut a little weird in that we weren't that desperate for cap space especially since Matt Ryan will probably get extended and his cap hit reduced for this year. If anything I wonder if this signals issues with extending Matt Ryan and that a deal may not get done before the end of the off seasons. So much so the Falcons felt it was imperative to clear cap space.

If anything the only move I see Dimitroff making is moving up to the middle of the 1st round to grab someone like Trufant if available. However, I think the Falcons focus in the first round will be a pass rusher despite adding Osi. At the end of the day a top rate pass rush can make up for lack of talent in the secondary.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:32 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I can't understand this move. If they wanted to save some money, then wouldn't Blalock have been a better cut than Clabo? I am very nervous about this line now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:54 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I was taken totally by surprise with this move! Our OL was fairly decent last season (finally) and it's just falling to pieces now. Clabo was the unsung hero of the OL for the past few seasons, providing steady consistent performances at a key position.

I'm not sure about this one. TD has been working some magic this offseason, but this one feels wrong. Perhaps it's best to go ahead and make more changes now while other parts of the OL are being changed too. I mean, you want consistency, but might as well do this now and get all the upheaval out of the way. I think Holmes and Reynolds ought to battle it out for the RT position. I feel pretty comfortable with that possibility. We could leave Konz at RG and let Johnson play C like he did in college. But I really think the Falcons had in mind for Konz to play C, so we probably need to look for a solid RG in the draft. Konz is probably the only guy I'd be cool with playing RG right now, so we're going to need another option one way or another.

I doubt we will go after Revis. Perhaps we could resign Abraham. I just don't want to see Tony G's last season go up in smoke because we've made so many big changes to the roster in the offseason. I'd like to think that Ryan's deal will get done soon and open up a lot more cap room, and then we can potentially make a big move somewhere to put us back into real contention. I'm looking for TD to do something big still on defense.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:28 pm 

I agree this move probably means the Falcons are going after someone. But I think it has more to do with them pursuing low-level veterans like Charles Woodson or John Abraham rather than a big move. Agree with jagstang on Revis. I doubt the Falcons would trade for Revis until he's proven he's healthy. So if Revis is still a Jet come August 15, and is back full go for practices/camp/preseason, then I believe the Falcons might start looking at him. But doubtful. I think the Falcons will be content to use a #1 or #2 on a cornerback this year and will probably stand pat at cornerback unless there's an injury.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:13 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Unless TD is clearing cap space to upgrade the OL this move is absolutely crazy. Against good DLs last year it was obvious the running game suffered. We couldn't get that needed extra yard to sustain drives in crucial situations. Losing Clabo makes the situation much worse. Wonder if Jackson would have signed here if he knew this was coming? Johnson or Hawley are nowhere near Clabo's abilities and I'm not that high on Koonz. I hope Ryan survives the rush that is coming!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

John O wrote:
Unless TD is clearing cap space to upgrade the OL this move is absolutely crazy. Against good DLs last year it was obvious the running game suffered. We couldn't get that needed extra yard to sustain drives in crucial situations. Losing Clabo makes the situation much worse. Wonder if Jackson would have signed here if he knew this was coming? Johnson or Hawley are nowhere near Clabo's abilities and I'm not that high on Koonz. I hope Ryan survives the rush that is coming!

You assume Clabo wasn't part of the problem with a washed up Turner

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Wease wrote:
John O wrote:

You assume Clabo wasn't part of the problem with a washed up Turner

It all starts up front Wease. :cry: Without a very big upgrade, Ryan will run for his life and Jackson will be lucky to get 900 yards. :pray: And not many crucial first downs. :fingersx: Just my humble opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:41 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Claybo sucked for much of the year!! So do we keep letting him sucking or get rid of him.

I think Thomas D. has made some mistakes but not that many. What he;s done for this team in 5 years is a miracle. He's making a bunch of moves this year where I still think we make the playoffs; but don't ask me how?? And we're continuing to get football players that can catch the football.

This is not anywhere close to the same team in which he took over; its twice as good
and getting better!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:47 am 

Cyril wrote:
He's making a bunch of moves this year where I still think we make the playoffs; but don't ask me how??

There's very little doubt about the Falcons making the playoffs. I don't mean that as if it's a guarantee, but I think we all agree that even if you were to consider a resurgent Saints as part of the group, the Falcons are one of the 5 best teams in the NFC.

If they get 64 games or very close to it from Ryan, Gonzo, White, and Julio, it's going to be very hard to see this team finish below 10-6 and out of the wildcard mix. Now the more games those guys miss will push the team back closer to mediocrity.

But I think the real concern is how far will the Falcons go should they make the playoffs?

Law of averages says that when your 4 best players all have career-defining seasons, that's probably not going to happen again. So the passing game will likely take a step back this year. Clabo's presence is probably not going to change that and would have fairly little impact anyway. The big question is will the running game pick up slack. I've expressed doubts about whether a running game led by Steven Jackson can be a significant improvement over last year's, but for now I'll choose to be optimistic about it just because I like SJax so much.

Then it becomes what improvements will the defense make. And I think based on TD's moves, people have legit cause for concern about whether the defense will be improved at all from a year ago. That's not meant to be a knock on TD, because I don't think you can realistically expect a huge improvement. Typically when teams make huge leap forwards on defense is because they have a new DC and/or really hit a homerun in the draft. None are likely options for us. It's going to be a long-term project for us if we think this defense is ever going to be a Top 10 group.

But again, I don't think the D will be so bad that it will preclude the Falcons from making the playoffs altogether (see 2008 Broncos or 2012 Saints). It all just sorta boils down to the health of the team. Now law of averages says that the Falcons lucky ability to avoid the injury bug runs out at some point, which could easily be this year, so we'll see. But I've now been saying that for at least 2 years straight, so... :so:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:11 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Pudge wrote:

If they get 64 games or very close to it from Ryan, Gonzo, White, and Julio, it's going to be very hard to see this team finish below 10-6 and out of the wildcard mix. Now the more games those guys miss will push the team back closer to mediocrity.

But I think the real concern is how far will the Falcons go should they make the playoffs?

Law of averages says that when your 4 best players all have career-defining seasons, that's probably not going to happen again. So the passing game will likely take a step back this year.

And that's why you look to have a good 2nd TE and 3rd WR, so if these guys don't have superstar years, there are legitimate guys to pick up the slack. I really thought they'd grab a 2M receiver in FA, and I was excited about getting 3rd and 4th round talent at WR/TE.

Now, after all these cuts, it seems they're going to be filling defensive and OL needs all the way up through the 7th...and once again we don't grab 3rd and 4th round offensive skill position talent to ease the burden on the offense and provide developing players to replace Tony's production.

I still think they can have a good offseason, but, like many people, I'm confused by it at the moment (mainly Clabo and not picking up a decent vet CB to replace one of our leaving CBs.) Big fan of getting midtier talent in FA so you don't have to reach to fill holes, but rather ADD to your team in the draft.