New Kiper Mock - Falcons select Kyle Long OT Oregon

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

jagstang76
Playmaker
Playmaker

New Kiper Mock - Falcons select Kyle Long OT Oregon

Postby jagstang76 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:19 am

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/46534/mocking-nfc-south-with-mel-kiper-jr/url]

I'm not sure what to think about this. In my mind, I feel like we have too many holes to fill to grab an OL in the 1st. It seems like a smart move IF we have already addressed CB. We still realistically need more help on the DL too.

Anyone have some info on Long? Kiper seems to think he can immediately help us at RG and also be a great option for the future OT.

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Re: New Kiper Mock - Falcons select Kyle Long OT Oregon

Postby Pudge » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:25 am

He's Howie's son. Nuff said?
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

John O
Superstar
Superstar

Postby John O » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:56 pm

I like it. Get him.
John O'

samedi
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby samedi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:52 pm

I don't think his other qualities will surpass ATL's filter concerns before he's picked by someone else. I am not saying I'll mistrust the guy forever since he drank too much as a freshman at FL St; however, I can see ATL pausing on him long enough for a team to grab him; plus, I'd still say that RG is a bigger issue than RT unless Holmes gets moved inside for some reason. Konz seemed to d0 very well in the playoffs (feel free to add stats, cute or otherwise); I wonder if they might pick up one of the good G/C out there this year and let the two of them work out who plays where.

Pudge

Postby Pudge » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:20 am

The word I've heard is that NFL teams are comfortable with his off-field issues because they feel like Howie and Chris have gotten him on the straight and narrow. I even heard one person say that his off-field issues were due to Chris getting all the attention from his family back then (he had just been drafted). Kyle has kept his nose clean for 3-4 years now, so I don't think Falcons would really hold it against him.

But listening to the First Draft podcast that Kiper and McShay do every Tuesday, it sounded like Kiper pegged Long to Atlanta more because he wanted to project Long in Round 1 not because he truly feels the Falcons would take him.

I've seen a little of Long since my original post, and I like his run blocking potential. Sort of reminds me of Eric Winston.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Return to “The Huddle”