It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will the Falcons trade up to get a cornerback?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:14 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-falc ... ornerback/

Will the Falcons trade up to get a cornerback?
COMMENT(34)
5 11 11 563
View Larger

Desmond Trufant is rated as one of the top cornerbacks in the draft. (Ted S. Warren / Associated Press)
Previous Posts

UGA's Smith set to workout for the Falcons
April 9, 2013
Valdosta State's Kugbila to participate in Falcons' local workout
April 9, 2013
Depth Chart: Holmes projected to start at RT
April 5, 2013
By D. Orlando Ledbetter
We’re gearing up for the stretch run to the NFL draft, which is set for April 25-27.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s position- by-position draft series starts on Sunday with a look at Alabama’s Dee Milliner and check on the top 10 corners in the draft. Michael Cunningham will drop some knowledge on the safeties Monday as we’ve split up some of the position groups this season.
The Falcons are in the cornerback after parting ways with three of their top five corners. They cut Dunta Robinson, who signed with the Chiefs, and they let Brent Grimes (Miami) and Christopher Owens (Cleveland) walk in free agency.
The team’s top three corners are Asante Samuels, Robert McClain and Dominique Franks.
A study of general manager Thomas Dimitroff’s drafts reveals he’s going to make a trade and it may be a very big one to move up and get a corner.
But which one?
Does he go all the way into the top five to get Milliner or into the top 20 to get Florida State’s Xavier Rhodes or Washington’s Desmond Trufant?
Trufant has been in for a visit and clearly won’t be on the board if the Falcons stay with the 30th pick.
The Falcons can sit at 30 and probably get Mississippi State’s Johnthan Banks, Houston’s D.J. Hayden of Boise State’s Jamar Taylor.
The Falcons have plenty of tape on Mississippi State’s secondary and studied them before taking safety Charles Mitchell last season.
Stay tuned.
MOCKS HEATING UP: We took part in our first sportswriter’s mock draft for CBSsportsline last week. When the Falcons’ pick came up at 30, here’s who was left on the board:
TANK CARRADINE, DE, Florida Sate
ZACK ERTZ, TE, Stanford
MARGUS HUNT, DE, SMU
JOHNTHAN BANKS, CB, Mississippi State
SYLVESTER WILLIAMS, DT, North Carolina
D.J. HAYDEN, CB, HOUSTON
Who would you select?
GANDY TUNED IN: Talked to former Falcons tackle Wayne Gandy for an “As told to story” about the draft on Friday.
He was the 15th pick overall by the Los Angeles Rams in 1994 out of Auburn. He’s not a fan of the year-round draft chatter that has been fueled by sports talk radio and the internet.
“Back in my day, there were two or three analysts and they came out closer to the draft,” Gandy said. “But not all year! Now, you have the top 10 picks and the Big Board in November.
“How do you have somebody in the top 10 with so much left to do to even get drafted? Playing the season is just about a one-third. Then you have the bowl games, the senior bowl and then you have the combine, then the interviews.
“Predicting where a kid is going in October or November does nothing for April.”

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Will the Falcons trade up to get a cornerback?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

All I can say is, "I hope not." If we're going to be doing trading, I hope that it is to acquire more top 100 picks in this draft, or future drafts. We are not one piece away from having the perfect team. I can think of half a dozen positions on this team that could be improved with high draft picks. Also, I don't think that it matters who is playing corner for us if we can't generate a pass rush and can't cover tight ends.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:56 am 

RobertAP wrote:
Also, I don't think that it matters who is playing corner for us if we can't generate a pass rush and can't cover tight ends.

Oh, it definitely matters. Watch a team with bad cornerbacks and see how good a defense they are. Then watch one with a bad pass rush or LBs that can't cover, and you'll see a big difference.

I'm growing tired of the myth that you can get away with subpar cornerback play if you have a good pass rush. IMO, it's really just BS. You can't get away with bad cornerback play regardless of the other strengths/weaknesses of your team in today's NFL with all of the good QBs and all of the good WRs in the league. How quickly people forget the 2009 season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Who's suggesting that we can get away with poor corner play? Right now, our front 7 sucks. Last year, our secondary was great. Our secondary is Good to great this year depending on who we bring in to play nickel. But if the front 7 still sucks, we're still not going to be able to stop the run, generate a pass rush, or cover tight ends.

If we're going to spend a lot of resources on a defensive player, it should be to improve our front 7. Until the front 7 is upgraded, it won't matter if we have a great secondary.

Now, based on what I just said, I obviously agree that we need to bring in a corner. I just don't think that we need to move up in the 1st round to grab one of the best corners available. If we are going to move up in the 1st round, it should be to improve a position in the front 7, not CB. However, I don't think that we should move up at all. We need to improve our talent in many positions. If we're going to make trades, it should be to get additional picks in the top 100, not trade our top picks away to move up in the 1st.

Real quick, I'm going to rank our defensive players to show you where I believe that they stand. I think for our defense to be, "good," we need both our secondary and our front 7 to average out to 4. Rankings are 1-5 with 1 being a bench warmer, 2 is JAG, 3 is solid starter, 4 is an impact player, and 5 being a star.

DE - Osi Umenyiora - 4. We shall see.
DT - Jonathan Babineaux - 3 (Babs was a 4 or 5 three years ago, but his play has fallen off)
DT - Corey Peters - 2 - (Would be a 3 if he could stay healthy)
DE - Kroy Biermann - 2 (situational pass rusher who does not get many sacks)

OLB - Sean Weatherspoon - 4 (would be a 5 if he could stay healthy)
MLB - Akeem Dent - 1
OLB - Steven Nicholas - 3

CB - Asante Samuel - 5
CB - Robert McClain - 2 or 3
NB - Dominique Franks - 1
S - Thomas Decoud - 4
S - William Moore - 4 (would be 5 if he could stay healthy)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

There is no corner that is really worth trading up for IMO. Is the difference between Xavier Rhodes and Desmond Trufant or between Jonathan Banks and DJ Hayden so much that you should give up a 3rd round pick to acquire them?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:10 am 

RobertAP wrote:
CB - Asante Samuel - 5
CB - Robert McClain - 2 or 3
NB - Dominique Franks - 1
S - Thomas Decoud - 4
S - William Moore - 4 (would be 5 if he could stay healthy)

You probably overrate Samuel and DeCoud. They should be a 4 and 3 respectively. Dent will likely be a 2 this year. And Spoon was only a 3 last year, and may not be any better in Nolan's scheme this year. Osi might only be a 3 at this point in his career. We shall see...

Now, I would agree that if it was a toss-up between drafting a dominant front 7 player or a dominant secondary player, I'd probably choose the front 7 player. But that toss-up may not necessarily be the case.

Your previous post implied that the Falcons could plug and play with any ol' corner as long as their front 7/pass rush is good. I don't necessarily agree. I think cornerbacks are vastly underrated by most fans in today's football. Personally, I think linebackers overall are losing their value, but that might be a convo for another day. The "normal" rules don't apply to the Falcons because we are a so-called elite team. We aren't measuring ourselves against the Titans or Panthers, but against the Packers, Ravens, Steelers, Giants, Saints, 49ers, Seahawks, Patriots, etc. We have to build a team that is constructed to beat those teams, and IMO you cannot do that without good cornerbacks because almost all of those teams have good QBs and dangerous weapons on the outside.

Samuel was a 4 last year, but who knows what he'll be this year or next year. I expect him to still be in that 4 range, but there's going to be a point in his career where he loses it. And similar to other top-notch gamblers of the past like Sam Madison or Ray Buchanan, it's not going to be very pretty when he does. I'm hoping that won't be until after 2014, the final year of his contract, but we shall see. McClain had a good year for us last year, but that's by no means a guarantee he will have another this year. The point I'm trying to make is that while I agree with you that the secondary was a strength last year, that may not necessarily be the case again this year or next year.

I agree, I don't think the Falcons need to trade up for a corner or any defensive player. This just isn't a draft where moving up makes that much sense since the talent that is likely to get drafted 5-10 spots ahead of us is probably not significantly better than what will be there at 30 or 35.

The Falcons need more top-level playmakers on defense period. It doesn't matter whether they are DE, DT, LB, CB, or S. That is what their defense lacks the most, guys that keep offensive coordinators up at night. As things stand currently, there is nobody on that side of the ball that does that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:10 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Corner???

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nfl-draft/

Falcons trying to trade up in the NFL draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 17, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT

AP
Two years ago, the Falcons made no secret in the days before the draft that they were looking to trade up to get a wide receiver, and they would eventually send two first-round picks, a second-round pick and two fourth-round picks to Cleveland so that they could draft Julio Jones sixth overall. That worked well enough that the Falcons are now trying to move up again.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated reports that the Falcons are trying to trade up from their current first-round pick, which is No. 30 overall. King said he doesn’t know which player or players the Falcons are targeting, but they apparently like someone whom they expect to be off the board before No. 30 overall.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently suggested that the Falcons might try to trade up for a cornerback like Alabama’s Dee Milliner, Florida State’s Xavier Rhodes or Washington’s Desmond Trufant. They could also covet one of the draft’s top pass rushers after releasing veteran defensive end John Abraham. There’s also talk that they might like to acquire Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert and give him a year to learn from Tony Gonzalez (who is expected to retire after the 2013 season) before taking over for Gonzalez in 2014 as the team’s No. 1 tight end.

Whatever the Falcons’ plans are, General Manager Thomas Dimitroff showed everyone when he traded up for Jones that he’s not afraid to make a bold move if there’s a player he loves.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:48 pm 

We shall see. But I'm not sure there is a corner worth trading up for. I like Milliner and Rhodes, but IMO neither are can't miss CB prospects like Joe Haden or Patrick Peterson. Milliner is going to get drafted in the Top 10, but I'm not sure he's a significantly better prospect overall than Patrick Amukamara. Rhodes is tall and unlike say Sean Smith, not soft, but is he "special?" I don't think so. I haven't watched Trufant this year, but from what I saw last year, I don't see a superstar corner in the making. And most of what I've heard from other smart people doesn't seem to disagree with that.

So why are the Falcons trading up for a corner? Do they feel like there is a special corner in this draft? That's the only way to justify the trade up. Because if the Falcons aren't in love with any of the other CBs besides one of those 3, then why did they sit on their hands in free agency? If you didn't like the odds you could get a quality CB at 30, then why not sign a stopgap in free agency?

If the Falcons are looking at trading up, I don't think it's for a corner. It'll be for another position such as DE, DT, TE, etc. where they don't feel like a really good player is going to be there at 30.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
We shall see. But I'm not sure there is a corner worth trading up for. I like Milliner and Rhodes, but IMO neither are can't miss CB prospects like Joe Haden or Patrick Peterson. Milliner is going to get drafted in the Top 10, but I'm not sure he's a significantly better prospect overall than Patrick Amukamara. Rhodes is tall and unlike say Sean Smith, not soft, but is he "special?" I don't think so. I haven't watched Trufant this year, but from what I saw last year, I don't see a superstar corner in the making. And most of what I've heard from other smart people doesn't seem to disagree with that.

So why are the Falcons trading up for a corner? Do they feel like there is a special corner in this draft? That's the only way to justify the trade up. Because if the Falcons aren't in love with any of the other CBs besides one of those 3, then why did they sit on their hands in free agency? If you didn't like the odds you could get a quality CB at 30, then why not sign a stopgap in free agency?

If the Falcons are looking at trading up, I don't think it's for a corner. It'll be for another position such as DE, DT, TE, etc. where they don't feel like a really good player is going to be there at 30.

I really just dont see anyone worth trading up for. If anything they should trade down one of the QB needy teams will want to leap frog the QB needy teams at the top of the second round.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:30 pm 

I think the Falcons trade up for no other reason than they need their top pick to have instant impact.