Trufant

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

starley657
All-Pro
All-Pro

Trufant

Postby starley657 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:43 pm

Got the guy I liked! Not happy about giving up the 3rd rounder but I'll take it. Gonna be a good one for us.

DaveWaz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Trufant

Postby DaveWaz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:43 pm

Seems like we could have gotten him at 30, wonder what team spooked us into the trade?
When life gives you lemons, find some salt and tequila then invite me!

jagstang76
Playmaker
Playmaker

Postby jagstang76 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:52 pm

I wonder if they were shooting for Eifert, and maybe didn't expect CIN to take him. I'm happy with Trufant. He meets a need and makes this team really solid. Still have work to do on the defense, but we are going to have a lot of picks still left to work with plus Jun 1 cuts. I'm feeling good about things so far.

samedi
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby samedi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:55 pm

Eisen commented that Atl would have known about the Eifert pick before they made the trade. They must have like Trufant a lot more than the next few cb.

RobertAP
Superstar
Superstar

Postby RobertAP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:59 pm

I just don't have a good feeling about Trufant. Feels like Jimmy Williams 2.0. Doesn't have top speed, doesn't tackle well, relies too much on athleticism. We also reached to get him. Not particularly happy with TD on this.

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:01 pm

I love the pick considering who is on the board. What would be really great is if Dante Jones some how slides to us in the 2nd even if it requires another trade up.

I'm okay with burning a 3rd & 6th round pick to move up based on earlier trades it was good value. I suspect Atlanta had an idea that Minnesota was gunning for a DB hence the jump up to 22. If Desmond Trufant is anywhere close to his brother for a career we have a great #2 corner than can take over the top DB spot eventually.
Fear the BEARD!

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:03 pm

It would also be nice if Ertz slides...
Fear the BEARD!

RobertAP
Superstar
Superstar

Postby RobertAP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:09 pm

Ertz won't be there for us in the 2nd. We'd have to trade up to get him. No way he gets past the Bears at 50. Of course if Teo and Ertz are still there, things could be interesting, but I doubt that either player will fall that far, much less get to us.

starley657
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby starley657 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:12 pm

Would you try to get up in the second to get Ertz? What about Ogletree?

one8swayze
Superstar
Superstar

Postby one8swayze » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:16 pm

RobertAP wrote:I just don't have a good feeling about Trufant. Feels like Jimmy Williams 2.0. Doesn't have top speed, doesn't tackle well, relies too much on athleticism. We also reached to get him. Not particularly happy with TD on this.

I disagree. I think he's Grimes-esque as far as a cover athlete. Slightly slower, but more physical on the line, and a better tackler. I really like him in press coverage on short yd passing downs. He'll need safety help on bigger WR's down the field...but who doesn't? Thanks for making me puke in my mouth though.
Disregard anything I say that may offend you, as I am most likely drunk.

RobertAP
Superstar
Superstar

Postby RobertAP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:47 pm

Like I said, it's a feeling. Being a Falcons fan, I think we're all entitled to have a bad feeling now and then. ;)

one8swayze
Superstar
Superstar

Postby one8swayze » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:54 pm

RobertAP wrote:Like I said, it's a feeling. Being a Falcons fan, I think we're all entitled to have a bad feeling now and then. ;)

It's sad, but I consider it a triumph that we've progressed to "every now and then"... :fingersx:
Disregard anything I say that may offend you, as I am most likely drunk.

RobertAP
Superstar
Superstar

Postby RobertAP » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:35 am

I guess I consider this a win, considering we still have our 2nd round pick, and all of our picks next year.

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Postby Pudge » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:50 am

dirtybirdnw wrote:I love the pick considering who is on the board. What would be really great is if Dante Jones some how slides to us in the 2nd even if it requires another trade up.

I'm okay with burning a 3rd & 6th round pick to move up based on earlier trades it was good value. I suspect Atlanta had an idea that Minnesota was gunning for a DB hence the jump up to 22. If Desmond Trufant is anywhere close to his brother for a career we have a great #2 corner than can take over the top DB spot eventually.

Yep, it was Minnesota that the Falcons were leap frogging. Besides the Falcons, they were the CB-neediest team in the bottom half of the 1st round.

I kinda like Trufant. Solid player. He can do a lot of things. None of them to a great level, but he should be a decent 2nd corner. We'll have to draft another guy high in the next year or two, but that was likely unless we found Revis v2.0 (which we weren't gonna find in this draft even if we had traded up for Milliner)
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

RobertAP
Superstar
Superstar

Postby RobertAP » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:23 am

There's still plenty of CB talent on the board Pudge. Who knows, we might use a late round pick on honey badger. :roll:

jagstang76
Playmaker
Playmaker

Postby jagstang76 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:19 am

If we are able to come away with Trufant, the Honey Badger, and a couple other defensive additions, I will be overjoyed. There's still the possibility of us bringing back Abe too if we can squeeze him in the cap. Our defense could be significantly better than expected.

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:17 am

Pudge wrote:I kinda like Trufant. Solid player. He can do a lot of things. None of them to a great level, but he should be a decent 2nd corner. We'll have to draft another guy high in the next year or two, but that was likely unless we found Revis v2.0 (which we weren't gonna find in this draft even if we had traded up for Milliner)

I think given this draft it was the best possible outcome for Atlanta. There where only 3 top-flight corners in this draft and those where Milliner, Rhodes, and Trufant. I personally am a big Trufant fan; I am in UW territory and follow the Huskies after all.

Trufant reminds me of Ray Buchanan a little bit. Except that Trufant is bigger and faster but still the gambler since he tends to play with a cushion and relies on his speed to close on the ball/receiver to break up passes.
Fear the BEARD!

Return to “The Huddle”