It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trufant
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:43 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Got the guy I liked! Not happy about giving up the 3rd rounder but I'll take it. Gonna be a good one for us.

Post subject: Re: Trufant
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Seems like we could have gotten him at 30, wonder what team spooked us into the trade?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:52 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I wonder if they were shooting for Eifert, and maybe didn't expect CIN to take him. I'm happy with Trufant. He meets a need and makes this team really solid. Still have work to do on the defense, but we are going to have a lot of picks still left to work with plus Jun 1 cuts. I'm feeling good about things so far.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:55 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Eisen commented that Atl would have known about the Eifert pick before they made the trade. They must have like Trufant a lot more than the next few cb.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I just don't have a good feeling about Trufant. Feels like Jimmy Williams 2.0. Doesn't have top speed, doesn't tackle well, relies too much on athleticism. We also reached to get him. Not particularly happy with TD on this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:01 am 

I love the pick considering who is on the board. What would be really great is if Dante Jones some how slides to us in the 2nd even if it requires another trade up.

I'm okay with burning a 3rd & 6th round pick to move up based on earlier trades it was good value. I suspect Atlanta had an idea that Minnesota was gunning for a DB hence the jump up to 22. If Desmond Trufant is anywhere close to his brother for a career we have a great #2 corner than can take over the top DB spot eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:03 am 

It would also be nice if Ertz slides...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:09 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Ertz won't be there for us in the 2nd. We'd have to trade up to get him. No way he gets past the Bears at 50. Of course if Teo and Ertz are still there, things could be interesting, but I doubt that either player will fall that far, much less get to us.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:12 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Would you try to get up in the second to get Ertz? What about Ogletree?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:16 am 
Superstar
Superstar

RobertAP wrote:
I just don't have a good feeling about Trufant. Feels like Jimmy Williams 2.0. Doesn't have top speed, doesn't tackle well, relies too much on athleticism. We also reached to get him. Not particularly happy with TD on this.

I disagree. I think he's Grimes-esque as far as a cover athlete. Slightly slower, but more physical on the line, and a better tackler. I really like him in press coverage on short yd passing downs. He'll need safety help on bigger WR's down the field...but who doesn't? Thanks for making me puke in my mouth though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:47 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Like I said, it's a feeling. Being a Falcons fan, I think we're all entitled to have a bad feeling now and then. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:54 am 
Superstar
Superstar

RobertAP wrote:
Like I said, it's a feeling. Being a Falcons fan, I think we're all entitled to have a bad feeling now and then. ;)

It's sad, but I consider it a triumph that we've progressed to "every now and then"... :fingersx:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:35 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I guess I consider this a win, considering we still have our 2nd round pick, and all of our picks next year.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:50 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

dirtybirdnw wrote:
I love the pick considering who is on the board. What would be really great is if Dante Jones some how slides to us in the 2nd even if it requires another trade up.

I'm okay with burning a 3rd & 6th round pick to move up based on earlier trades it was good value. I suspect Atlanta had an idea that Minnesota was gunning for a DB hence the jump up to 22. If Desmond Trufant is anywhere close to his brother for a career we have a great #2 corner than can take over the top DB spot eventually.

Yep, it was Minnesota that the Falcons were leap frogging. Besides the Falcons, they were the CB-neediest team in the bottom half of the 1st round.

I kinda like Trufant. Solid player. He can do a lot of things. None of them to a great level, but he should be a decent 2nd corner. We'll have to draft another guy high in the next year or two, but that was likely unless we found Revis v2.0 (which we weren't gonna find in this draft even if we had traded up for Milliner)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:23 am 
Superstar
Superstar

There's still plenty of CB talent on the board Pudge. Who knows, we might use a late round pick on honey badger. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:19 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

If we are able to come away with Trufant, the Honey Badger, and a couple other defensive additions, I will be overjoyed. There's still the possibility of us bringing back Abe too if we can squeeze him in the cap. Our defense could be significantly better than expected.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:17 pm 

Pudge wrote:
I kinda like Trufant. Solid player. He can do a lot of things. None of them to a great level, but he should be a decent 2nd corner. We'll have to draft another guy high in the next year or two, but that was likely unless we found Revis v2.0 (which we weren't gonna find in this draft even if we had traded up for Milliner)

I think given this draft it was the best possible outcome for Atlanta. There where only 3 top-flight corners in this draft and those where Milliner, Rhodes, and Trufant. I personally am a big Trufant fan; I am in UW territory and follow the Huskies after all.

Trufant reminds me of Ray Buchanan a little bit. Except that Trufant is bigger and faster but still the gambler since he tends to play with a cushion and relies on his speed to close on the ball/receiver to break up passes.