It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Abe?
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:23 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

okay, yesterday he visited the Titans. He did the same thing last year before signing with us, right? I don't think the Pats or Denver is going to jump.....

given that: what would be a reasonable number to bring Abe back? He ain't signing for the vet min, and nobody is going to give him 3-4 million. But could we appeal to his better angels? He might be willing to work out a deal to stay with the team that was 10 yards and a fumbled snap from the Superbowl... :?:

Post subject: Re: Abe?
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:01 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I'd do anything to bring back Abe. Just like Clabo, I think it was an injustice that he was cut. Atlanta should have attempted to reconstruct their respective deals. The rookies can wait their turn, I'd have no problem bringing back Abe. Then it can be Osi, Abe, Beerman, Massqoui and Matthews in a rotation.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:59 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/arti ... a458d7d267

okay just for sh*ts and giggles, let us assume ( :wink: ) that somehow we can bring Abe back. Like, maybe near the beginning of June, nobody is knowcking and he agrees to a make good one year 2 million deal ( I know, not likely, but this is strictly as an exercise) then what do you do? We cant carry 7 DE' on the roster. If we stash someone on the P squad, cant they be claimed off waivers?

Goodman,Maponga , Osi ,Biermann, Massaquoi, Matthews, and Abe..

who is the odd man out?

Also, bringing back Abe would negate his pronouncements that we are going 'younger' on D. :ninja:

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:12 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The Falcons haven't carried more than 5 DEs on the roster (which is the primary reason why with 2 rookie draft picks, the chances that Abe comes back are probably close to Zero).

Matthews is no longer eligible for the p-squad, but Massaquoi is. As is Maponga & Goodman. Goodman being a 4th round pick, would have to be downright terrible this summer not to make the team. Matthews & Massaquoi are valuable on ST, and whether Maponga and Goodman are remains to be seen.

So if we're playing this game,

Osi
Biermann
Goodman
Abe
Either Massaquoi or Matthews

with Maponga going on the p-squad. If Matthews won out, then Massaquoi would go on p-squad as well (likely to be signed by another team rather quickly), and if Massaquoi won out, then Matthews would be cut, and quickly signed by another team.

By not signing Abe, it likely allows you to keep both Massaquoi & Matthews on the roster, with Maponga on the p-squad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'd love this move as he's be our best D end, but TD has moved on so it's not going to happen. Also Abe wants to get paid like a guy capable of double digit sacks, which few guys ever get to do and he hasn't done that since...............

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:02 am 
Superstar
Superstar

2012... But you have to keep in mind that Abraham has been the benefactor of being a rotational player in our scheme. They keep him fresh. It's great that as a situational player he has been able to rack up those numbers. However, we have to have other DEs on the roster to play the other half of the downs. You pay Abraham starter money, but he's only going to play half of the snaps which means that you have to pay someone else starter money if you don't want to lose a lot for the other 50% of the plays.

If they can bring Abe back at 2 million a year, I'd jump at that. But as has been pointed out, if you do that, you have to give up on a younger player.