It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plop Plop, Fizz Fizz......
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:48 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Cap relief on the way for Atlanta Falcons

By Pat Yasinskas | May 6, 2013 1:15 PM

At this moment, the Atlanta Falcons don’t have enough salary-cap room to sign their draft picks.

They’re only $2.183 million under the cap. But there is help, which a lot of people have forgotten about, on the way.

When the Falcons released veteran right tackle Tyson Clabo earlier this offseason, they set themselves up for a boost in cap space by designating him as a June 1 cut. For a few more weeks, the Falcons have to carry what would have been Clabo’s full cap figure ($6.05 million).

But, after June 1, the game changes. At that point, the Falcons will be off the hook for Clabo’s $4.5 million base salary. He’ll still count $1.55 million against this year’s cap and he’ll count $3.1 million against the 2014 cap.

Still, that $4.5 million in June will be big for the Falcons. It will give them more than enough money to sign their rookie draft picks. It could leave them enough to bring in someone like veteran defensive tackle Richard Seymour or maybe an experienced linebacker.

The Falcons also are likely to get a contract extension done with quarterback Matt Ryan sometime this offseason. If structured properly, and I’m sure it will be, a new deal for Ryan could free up additional cap space.

I’m not predicting a big summer surge of signings by the Falcons. But, after June 1, they’ll have enough cap room to make a strategic strike or two.

Post subject: Re: Plop Plop, Fizz Fizz......
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:22 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I've never gotten the Richard Seymour thing. Could he bolster the rotation? Sure. Would I prefer him over Jerry? Yep. But he's a minor upgrade at this point in his career. It's just adding another DT that definitely won't be a Falcon next year (Babs and Jerry already in that camp).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:09 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I agree with you 100% Pudge. The good thing about the whole situation (according to the local sports station here in the ATL) is that we are only on the books for $98 million next year, not including a pending extension for Ryan. So we will have some room to change our roster a bit next year. I know Roddy is coming due soon, but realistically how long do we stick with him since he is pushing 30? I know what Dimitroff can do with limited cap space so let's see what he does with lots of it. :fingersx:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:30 pm 

Roddy's last year with the Falcons would be 2014/2015 and he becomes a UFA in 2015. He's 31 and would be 33 by the time his contract is up.

Fortunately in the final year of his contract his cap hit actually goes down (this year is his highest cap charge). I'd assume Atlanta works a contract extension to keep him around until 2015/2016 at which point he'd retire. I would hope it would be more in the ballpark of $2-$4 million per if this does happen.

Roddy's Cap charge:

2013: 9,125,000 (4,450,000 in dead money if released)
2014: 6,325,000 (1,325,000 in dead money if released)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:48 pm 

On a side note... Falcons due to become free agents in 2014:

QB Matt Ryan ($12m)
LB Brian Banks ($405k)
C Joe Hawley ($750k)
S Shann Schillenger ($606k)
LB Robert James ($480k)
DT Peria Jerry ($2m)
DT Johnathan Babineaux ($5.2m)
DT Corey Peters ($1.5m)
OT Mike Johnson ($790k)
TE Tony Gonzalez ($5.25m)
WR Drew Davis ($480k)
CB Robert McClain ($550k)
TE Chase Coffman ($630k)
WR Kevin Cone ($480k)
TE Tommy Gallarda ($480k)

So not including Matt Ryan's contract you have $19.59m coming off the books next year. The only big dollar play I would expect to get resigned is Corey Peters. I doubt Atlanta brings back a 32 year old Babineaux nor do they bring back Jerry unless it is on the cheap.

The Falcons also have about $11m in dead cap money from players released such as Edwards, Turner, Robinson, Abraham, etc... which brings us to $30.59 million-ish in cap space not accounting for changes in Ryan's contract and increases in existing contracts.