It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons will take a step back in 2013
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:17 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1654 ... 013/page/5

4.FALCONS
The Atlanta Falcons are still a very, very good football team, and they probably possess more talent than anyone on this list. But it wasn't a good offseason for Atlanta, and the rest of the NFC South appeared to gain ground.
At this point, I don't know if you can call replacing Michael Turner with Steven Jackson and John Abraham with Osi Umenyiora a net loss or net gain. But with Brent Grimes, Dunta Robinson and Tyson Clabo all gone, the Falcons will be relying on unproven youngsters like Desmond Trufant, Robert Alford and Lamar Holmes to fill those holes.
So while this is a playoff team that won its division by a ridiculous six games in 2012, expect that gap to close in 2013. The explosive New Orleans Saints have their coach back and have put the bounty scandal in the rear-view mirror, while the Carolina Panthers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers both had solid offseasons.
Plus, the Falcons had the easiest schedule in the NFL last year. This year, based solely on what happened in 2012, they have a middle-of-the-pack schedule. They also had decent luck in the health department, according to Football Outsiders, despite being one of the oldest teams in football. In fact, ESPN.com's Mike Sando projects that the Falcons will have the second-oldest group of starters in the league, which is a little concerning.
Atlanta should return to the playoffs for the fourth consecutive season, but expect a bumpier road to January this time around.
2012 record: 13-3
Projected 2013 record: 10-6

Post subject: Re: Falcons will take a step back in 2013
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:44 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Of course the Falcons will take a step back. How many steps is really the only question. But only 1 team has won 13+ games in consecutive years, the Patriots went 14-2 in 2010 and then 13-3 in 2011. They also won 14 games both in 2003 and 2004.

But no team over the past decade has managed to win 13 games in one season and then improve their record the following year. In fact on average, 13-win teams have their win total decrease by 3.86 wins the following year.

So that means law of averages will be the Falcons will be 9-7 this year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:27 pm 

On the plus side as the NY Giants proved you don't need to be an elite team to win the Super Bowl (even the Ravens as of late). You just need the right match ups come the post season.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:37 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Of course the Falcons will take a step back. How many steps is really the only question. But only 1 team has won 13+ games in consecutive years, the Patriots went 14-2 in 2010 and then 13-3 in 2011. They also won 14 games both in 2003 and 2004.

But no team over the past decade has managed to win 13 games in one season and then improve their record the following year. In fact on average, 13-win teams have their win total decrease by 3.86 wins the following year.

So that means law of averages will be the Falcons will be 9-7 this year.

so, in your opinion, do we still make the playoffs if we go 9-7?

Pudge who is that in your avatar? Is it from 'Pootie-Tang'? :?:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:38 pm 

If the Falcons go 9-7, then yes I think they'll still be in the position to make the last wildcard spot. The Bears would probably be the likeliest challenger, followed by the Giants, Redskins, and Rams.

As for the avi, it's Leon Sandcastle of course!

If I was gonna do a Pootie Tang avatar, it would definitely be this...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Our esteemed Around The League colleague Dan Hanzus heard it from readers after he ranked 26 NFL running backs ahead of veteran Steven Jackson.

The Atlanta Falcons are more optimistic.

On the heels of signing Jackson to a three-year, $12 million contract in March, coach Mike Smith on Wednesday talked about the 29-year-old as a potential pass-catching threat out of the backfield.

"He's a big, strong running back that catches the ball extremely well," Smith said, per The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "He creates issues for defenses. He's just another weapon that we have in our offensive arsenal. He's a guy who had close to 100 catches in a season, so he's a guy that we can use in the passing game. He's not just a running back, he's a receiving back as well."

The Falcons never had that option with Michael Turner, who caught a measly 59 passes during his five seasons in Atlanta. Jackson has averaged 45 catches per year dating back to 2004.

Yes I believe we'll go backwards because of our defense; but I think Jackson is a huge upgrade over Turner. Averaging 45 catches a year for 10 years makes him a weapon.

Should we start losing I guess Blank will be shocked when season ticket sales drop 30%; just as he's ready to move into his shiny new stadium.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:05 pm 

I think I might differentiate between the term "weapon" and "asset." Darren Sproles is a weapon, i.e. someone/something that you can use to attack a defense. Jackson more qualifies as an asset, something that is useful against a defense.

Semantics, I know. But I think in terms of weapons in the passing game, Quizz is still our best bet.

Profile E-mail