It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Atlanta's backup QB picture (ESPN Insider)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:55 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl/rumors/post?id=8225

Atlanta's backup QB picture
June, 25, 2013
1:12 PM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

For the Atlanta Falcons, it's nice to know that franchise QB Matt Ryan is a remarkable wonder of durability. In the five seasons since he was drafted No. 3 overall, he's played in 78 out of a possible 80 regular season games, and was even able to come back fairly quickly after having his ankle stepped on awkwardly by OT Will Svitek. One can look at this one of two ways: there's no need to worry, as Ryan can shrug off the typical wear and tear that an NFL QB endures, or he's due for a significant injury one of these days. Can Atlanta depend upon their current backups to take his place?

There's really no replacing a player of Ryan's ilk, but it appears that Dominique Davis has the Falcons' QB2 duties essentially locked down. The East Carolina product has yet to throw a regular season pass, but the club obviously has faith in him, as they didn't go out and sign a veteran backup this offseason, instead opting to use a seventh-round pick on Duke's Sean Renfree and sign Texas Tech's Seth Doege as an undrafted FA. ESPN NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas wrote earlier this month that this oversight is a mistake:

Pat Yasinskas
Falcons need veteran backup QB

Pat Yasinskas wrote:
"I liked what I saw out of Davis last preseason and the Falcons wouldn't have drafted Renfree if they didn't see something. But the Falcons are a team that appears to be on the cusp of a Super Bowl. Let's say Ryan goes down for a game or two. Can a team like the Falcons really afford to put their season into Davis' hands? I don't think so. This is too talented a team to hand over to a quarterback that never has played in an NFL game. I think the Falcons need to add a veteran backup. That's what they've had in recent years -- first, with Chris Redman and, last year, with Luke McCown. There's not much out there right now, so I don't think any move is imminent by the Falcons. But, once other teams start releasing players in the preseason, I think the Falcons will pick up a veteran. It could even end up being McCown if he loses his battle with Seneca Wallace for the backup job in New Orleans."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Atlanta's backup QB picture (ESPN Insider)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:04 pm 

Tim Kavanagh wrote:
One can look at this one of two ways: there's no need to worry, as Ryan can shrug off the typical wear and tear that an NFL QB endures, or he's due for a significant injury one of these days.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I tend to think along the lines of Option B. I've seen too many Falcon seasons ruined because we didn't have a proven, capable backup quarterback. 2003 and 2007 being the prominent examples. Hell, Chris Redman's 0-2 record as a replacement for Ryan in 2009 are essentially the difference between us and a playoff spot. If Ryan beats both PHI & NO (I know doubtful, but possible) then we're in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Here's how I see it... If Ryan were to go down for the better part of a season, that would be a fantastic time to do a bit of rebuilding. I'd probably throw Davis out there and see what he can do. I wouldn't be that concerned about the outcome... Frankly, I'd be just as happy to go 3-13 in such a situation as having such a high position in the draft would enable us to make the kinds of moves necessary to get some more impact players on the team. Think about it... We're hurting for a DE... If Ryan were to go down early this year, I'd be shooting for Clowney.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:55 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
Here's how I see it... If Ryan were to go down for the better part of a season, that would be a fantastic time to do a bit of rebuilding. I'd probably throw Davis out there and see what he can do. I wouldn't be that concerned about the outcome... Frankly, I'd be just as happy to go 3-13 in such a situation as having such a high position in the draft would enable us to make the kinds of moves necessary to get some more impact players on the team. Think about it... We're hurting for a DE... If Ryan were to go down early this year, I'd be shooting for Clowney.

Watching a team that you expect to compete for a title suddenly being an inept 3-13 team vying for the No. 1 pick is not something worthwhile.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

We all know that it takes a miracle to win a superbowl. Good luck winning a superbowl without your starting QB. In my recollection, that has happened only once, and the QB happened to be Tom Brady.

On the flip side, imagine going into 2014 with a healthy Matt Ryan, Trufant and Alford with a year under their belts, and the best DE prospect in years anchoring your line.

Yes, I realize that it might be a bit of a downer to have a really bad year if Matt were to go down, but if it were to happen, there are potential benefits.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I bet Ryan hurts that same shoulder. That's how it starts. Like I said earlier I think
Tebow could have been a good second stringer, but at this point
I think Davis would be ok this year....

I don't expect Ryan out long if at all. I swear I thought I saw Tebow play some decent ball his rookie year, I don't get the 3-13 either ..... Every year you compete for a title it should be an exciting year even when it doesn't work out..... Our General Manager should be graded by what we do each year, not what we expect in two years....

3-13 not many benefits in my book. I think we're projecting too much on these rookies.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If Ryan goes down we are done, there isn't a back up in the league that could replace him to the level needed for us to make the Superbowl. Our passing game is out biggest strength, so I guess what I'm saying is, is that it doesn't matter who it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:17 am 

I'm sure there were some Colt fans that were content with their 2-14 2011 season because they knew it would put them in prime position to get Andrew Luck. ANd that's a pretty good consolation prize, just like the potential of getting Jadaveon Clowney would be a nice consolation prize if the Falcons 2013 season went down the drain.

But that's not a given, and it won't happen until April 2013. Until then, you have to sit and watch a team struggle to win games. All because the team ignored an obvious need (backup QB).

And then what happens if you get Clowney and he doesn't propel you to better things in 2014? What happens if the Falcons still take that step back come 2015? And what happens if for the next 7 years while Clowney produces, it never results in a title? And thus you're wondering "what if" in regards to the 2013 that never was?

Look, I don't think the Falcons are going to win a title this year, but it's possible. And as they are currently set up, their best odds are in 2013 and 2014. And throwing away either season is not a good thing.

Ever since the 2007 I don't ever want to see the Falcons be bad again. I've seen way too many of those seasons, where by October I'm no longer engaged in the season and looking at the draft. That makes Saturdays more fun, but Sundays unbearable. and to basically have a repeat of 1999 where the Falcons lose their best player to injury (then Jamal) and then see the rest of the team collapse because the powers that be didn't do a good job of securing depth at the centerpiece position on offense (then RB) isn't fun. It's a really s***ty consolation prize if you ask me.

Even if the Falcons wind up with Clowney, I don't think it's worth it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:04 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Ever since the 2007 I don't ever want to see the Falcons be bad again. I've seen way too many of those seasons, where by October I'm no longer engaged in the season and looking at the draft. That makes Saturdays more fun, but Sundays unbearable. and to basically have a repeat of 1999 where the Falcons lose their best player to injury (then Jamal) and then see the rest of the team collapse because the powers that be didn't do a good job of securing depth at the centerpiece position on offense (then RB) isn't fun. It's a really s***ty consolation prize if you ask me.

Go back another 30 years and you have change of coaches, and then more bad play, and finally resignation. Lets not go back to that life!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:02 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
We all know that it takes a miracle to win a superbowl. Good luck winning a superbowl without your starting QB. In my recollection, that has happened only once, and the QB happened to be Tom Brady..

Luke 23:34 :whistle:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:44 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Pudge wrote:

Look, I don't think the Falcons are going to win a title this year, but it's possible. And as they are currently set up, their best odds are in 2013 and 2014. And throwing away either season is not a good thing.

But is there a backup QB out there that wouldn't be essentially "throwing away [the] season"? Is the moral victory of 8-8 really worth it over the better draft choices at 5-11 or 6-10? I just don't see anyone on the radar that could make a reasonable playoff run possible if Ryan goes down, and it's really a throw-away season if he's out. It sucks, but that's the by-product of Dimitroff's drafting decisions. ATL didn't get Ryan Mallet, Kirk Cousins, TJ Yates, or Tom Brady out of recent drafts. They did get a guy to spend a year under Koetter and Ryan, and two more guys to consider this year. Who out there really offers that much more upside that's worth the extra million or two in cost? McCown was absolutely terrible with the Jaguars in his last showing. Seneca Wallace?

ATL might not win a SB in 2013 with Ryan, but they absolutely will not win one without him. If that money can be repurposed to give Ryan a better shot at the SB vs making the bad season less bad, . . . well, I just don't see why you would spend the extra money to have a slightly less bad team. If the issue was going to be addressed, it should have been done in last year's draft. It wasn't, and signing Josh McCown isn't going to ameliorate it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:09 pm 

You're right, that if Ryan missed the entire season then it would likely be a throwaway season. Even with a top-notch No. 2 QB, the Falcons probably are only a 6 or 7-win team.

But I guess my point is what if Ryan only misses 2 games. But those 2 games are the difference between the No. 1 seed (which getting iMO gives the Falcons their best chance to win a title) and the 5 seed. Or the difference between the 5 seed and being out of the playoffs.

That's why the idea of "tanking" is stupid. Because in all likelihood Matt Ryan won't miss a huge chunk of games, it's going to be 1 or 2 games. And having a situation where it's a repeat of 2009 where the Falcons miss the playoffs altogether, IMO is "throwing away" the season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:48 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well Pudge, perhaps I misinterpreted the original post, but my first comment was in regards to Ryan going down for most of a season. If Ryan is only going to be out for a game or two, I don't think that's going to hurt us too badly. Sure, it would be nice to have a top backup, but if we're going to toss money around, I'd much rather go after someone to PROTECT Ryan, rather than go after an insurance policy if he was to get hurt.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:08 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
There's really no replacing a player of Ryan's ilk, but it appears that Dominique Davis has the Falcons' QB2 duties essentially locked down

I think Davis is a real player..... All the teams do the same;but I just don't understand not using him in some game situations when we have the game in hand. (I know that's not often)