It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:11 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26132
Location: North Carolina
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... esday.html

Barry Jackson wrote:
Here are some quick hits, by position, from the Dolphins’ first offseason practice Tuesday:

### Cornerback: Brent Grimes (looking fully recovered from last September’s Achilles injury) and Richard Marshall (looking fully recovered from last season’s back injury) opened with the first team. Dimitri Patterson and Nolan Carroll lined up with the second team. Second-round pick Jamar Taylor was not present, as noted…. Grimes was very sharp on intermediate routes, knocking away passes to Rishard Matthews and Armon Binns, but was beaten deep once by Binns…. Marshall was beaten deep by Brian Hartline on a Ryan Tannehill throw. Hartline scored on the play...

### Quarterback: Ryan Tannehill, operating a fast-pace offense, was sharp on intermediate routes and completed 2 of 3 deep passes – to Binns and Brian Hartline. He couldn’t connect with Mike Wallace on another deep ball that was well defended by Grimes. He was patient, under control, and more polished than the Tannehill who was just out of college at this time last year

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:06 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:51 pm
Posts: 4934
Location: New York
Please don't post about Grimes. I miss him so much, this Trufant kid better be ready to fly through the air and make some plays.

_________________
Image

I'm a Devin Hester guy.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:17 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5116
Emmitt wrote:
Please don't post about Grimes. I miss him so much, this Trufant kid better be ready to fly through the air and make some plays.

dont worry, you will get to see Grimes week three @ Miami. Im looking forward to seeing Julio torch him.

if he has a decent game, I'll show up and take my beating. :wink:

but if he doesn't, Im going to :dance:

honestly, I would wager $$ that by week 15 he will be inactive, and that will play a small role in helping the Pats get to the playoffs, again. :ninja:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:52 am 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26132
Location: North Carolina
Honestly fun gus, you better hope that Grimes stinks in Miami this year. Otherwise I'm going to hold it over your head.

SteveH used to complain about the mistake that the Falcons made in not keeping Foxworth. Foxy stunk in Baltimore, but the Falcons corners stunk too. I don't know if our current group of corners will stink, but if Grimes remains Grimes in MIA, then it's going to be point you will be constantly reminded of.

Now if Grimes blows, and you try to throw it in my face, then I'll have no clue what you're talking about... :whistle:

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:14 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5116
Pudge wrote:
Honestly fun gus, you better hope that Grimes stinks in Miami this year. Otherwise I'm going to hold it over your head.

SteveH used to complain about the mistake that the Falcons made in not keeping Foxworth. Foxy stunk in Baltimore, but the Falcons corners stunk too. I don't know if our current group of corners will stink, but if Grimes remains Grimes in MIA, then it's going to be point you will be constantly reminded of.

Now if Grimes blows, and you try to throw it in my face, then I'll have no clue what you're talking about... :whistle:



I have T D on my side :mrgreen: Also, didn't Foxy take less $$ to go to Baltimore? I cant find fault with the FO about that one...

For me Grimes doesn't have to 'stink'. If he goes back to 2010 form ( 16 games ,5 ints,80 yds,70 tackles 10 assists, good disposition,etc) then you got me dead to rights.

However...

if he goes back to 2011 form ( 12 games, 1 int, 29 yds, 35 tackles, 12 assists, bad attitude) then is it 'worth it'?


:snooty: nope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_YWK7TLZHQ


we will see :ninja:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:44 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26132
Location: North Carolina
Although the "normal" stats weren't there, Grimes was better in 2011 than he was in 2010.

In 2011, Grimes only allowed 45% completions, 4.6 YPA, and a passer rating of 62.9 against. In 2010, he allowed 50% completions, 5.6 YPA, and a passer rating of 61.3 against. In 2009, he allowed 62% completions, 7.6 YPA, and passer rating of 65.0.

If Grimes is only as good as he was in 2011, then he will be one of the 5 best corners in the league. He was in that year.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:14 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5116
Pudge wrote:
Although the "normal" stats weren't there, Grimes was better in 2011 than he was in 2010.

In 2011, Grimes only allowed 45% completions, 4.6 YPA, and a passer rating of 62.9 against. In 2010, he allowed 50% completions, 5.6 YPA, and a passer rating of 61.3 against. In 2009, he allowed 62% completions, 7.6 YPA, and passer rating of 65.0.

If Grimes is only as good as he was in 2011, then he will be one of the 5 best corners in the league. He was in that year.



oh, good grief. Pudge, this is the exact kind of 'stat-mining' that I find funny. Lets review.

In 2010, Grimes started and was effective for 16 games.

In 2011, it was.....twelve. So, he had 'excellent stats' by virtue of his playing (no semantics, please) only 12 games, right?
here is The Mecca of numbers torture, Football Notwatchers, estimation of 2011:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-a ... stats-2011

Can you imagine if Brentypoo decided to play in that Giant Fiasco(tm)? He might have hurt himself, but he might just have padded those 'Yards after Hurt Feelings' stats, or some other such nonsense. :P

(cue the: only the FAN is loyal remark here) :ninja:


a twelve game a year player, specifically LATE in the year injured player, approaching the cliff, and he has 'good stats'? Well, not 'normal' stats, you know like, games played, tackles, INT's, but 'Top 5'? 5!!
They are giving him a rating on a 12 game season? :shock:

The Hamburg Sea Devils have a better chance withose kind of 'rules'. A guy plays 12-13 games, and is OUT for the postseason, does not get that benefit of the doubt. Especially if there are other CB's doing the 'job' ( cough *Mclain* cough) . or, at least appearing to being able to handle it.

Pudge, if Brent Grimes goes to Miami, and repeats 2011: you are WRONG. He is NOT WORTH IT. :dance:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:13 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26132
Location: North Carolina
It's not just stats fun gus, it's the eyeball test. As you may remember I do review every game the Falcons play and have done so for the past four seasons.

Here are Grimes Moneyball numbers from 2010:

17 pass defenses, 5 interceptions, 23.5 blown coverages

2011:

15 pass defenses, 1 interception, 10.5 blown coverages


Now add the INTs and PD, and you have 22 in 2010 over 16 games. An average of 1.375. In 2011, you have 16 in 12 games, or 1.25. Not a significant difference, as if you normalize Grimes' '11 season over 16 games, that basically works out to be that he broke up 2 more passes in 2010 than he did in 2011. Factor in that Grimes was targeted 119 times in 2010 vs. only 56 times in 2011 (according to Pro Football Focus), you realize that the fact that Grimes had nearly the same production given half the workload speaks volumes to his production.

Now the blown coverages seem bad at first blush, but when you factor in targets, it's not as big a difference. See in 119 targets, blowing 23.5 coverages works out to being about 19.7% of your targets being "blown." In 2011, with 56 targets, 10.5 works out to be about 18.8.%

Now factor in that Grimes also forced a fumble in 2011 (he had none in 2010), and also missed less tackles (2.5 vs. 6).

Now if you continue to choose to believe that Grimes wasn't that good in 2011, then it is your prerogative to choose to believe that. But that is you wallowing in ignorance, not truth.

The truth is that Grimes was outstanding in 2011. The other truth is that you let the "Giant Fiasco" and his injury completely color your perception of how Grimes had performed up to that point.

I apologize in advance for the condescension that is to come, but one of the biggest bones of contention I have with people on this board when we get into these tiffs is people's inability to put things into context. 1 bad performance will completely color an entire season's worth of 16 performances, or 2 seasons worth of 30+, or 5 seasons worth of 80+.

It's why people always wanted to call into question Matt Ryan's entire career after one bad game (see "Giant Fiasco" or 2010 season opener vs. Pittsburgh), or why Corey Peters is vastly overrated by most (see his game winning INT vs. Carolina), or why some folks think Mike Smith should be fired because they (wrongly) believe that the team underachieved in 1 or 2 games but never mind that the team had to overachieve in 16 others just to get to those games, etc. There are countless of other examples.

Whether Grimes played in 12 games or 17 games, doesn't change the FACT that Grimes was EXCELLENT for the games he did have.

So you're saying that if Brent Grimes manages to only be EXCELLENT in 12 games this year for Miami, then it wasn't worth the Falcons to out-offer the Dolphins on a 1-yr, $5 million contract?

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:58 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5116
Pudge wrote:
Whether Grimes played in 12 games or 17 games, doesn't change the FACT that Grimes was EXCELLENT for the games he did have.

So you're saying that if Brent Grimes manages to only be EXCELLENT in 12 games this year for Miami, then it wasn't worth the Falcons to out-offer the Dolphins on a 1-yr, $5 million contract?




Yes. That is EXACTLY what I am saying. And, I think Im right. Im sorry you do not 'pay' a one year 5 mil salary with the 'expectation' of 12 games. You know this.

You are, unfortunately, caught up in your own canard: I referenced your Bible, PFF, you, referenced your refined 'Moneyball'. Im sorry, they are nice metrics, but teams need players that can play ALL YEAR. I know Brinko would never go the Ray Edwards route, but to make Brent 'worth' 5 million, he not only needs to be 'EXCELLENT' for 12 games, he needs to finish the season. He can't crap out in week 13-16. Maybe in some 'stat land' that works, but I would rather have a McClain, Foxy, hell Houston , you get it..etc. We got Asamte who is fragile, and 2 new prospects, and I think we can roll with that.

And hear me now: if he does break down it will be late. He will have spent a year rehabbing....He will struggle out the gate getting 'back to speed', then try to 'compensate' later. Against teams like the Steelers,Pats,Bills, etc. It is then about mid or late season, he will either be injured or relegated ' J A G' due to some nagging minir injury or scheme.

How is that for puttin it out there? 8-)

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:00 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:51 pm
Posts: 4934
Location: New York
Pudge totally just owned Fun Gus there in that argument. Thanks for the McClain video though, he's pretty fun to watch. I enjoy yelling Bobby Mac, but it's not as fun as saying GRIMETIME!

_________________
Image

I'm a Devin Hester guy.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:28 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:41 pm
Posts: 2458
Location: Albany NY
I wouldn't call that owned by any means. First off Grimes got hurt, which is out of his control, second people through at him less, because his 2010 year was so impressive and offenses adjusted. We all know Gus hates Grimes and that his views are muddied by this. His interpretation of facts are not "owns" but more affirmation of a bias than use of factual knowledge. Just sayin

_________________
When life gives you lemons, find some salt and tequila then invite me!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:05 am 
Offline
Playmaker
Playmaker

Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:51 pm
Posts: 379
Location: Estepona, Spain
Basically, the decision came down to who would you rather keep.. Samuel or Grimes?

Keeping them both would have led us to having two old starting CBs, and probably not using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a dime CB. Ironically enough, we would have ended up in the same situation as Miami with Surtain and Madison years ago. Refresher: they aged, Dolphins had no young options, were stuck with them, and the secondary suffered badly as a result.

Do I think Grimes will have a better season than Samuel? I wouldn't be surprised.. but I'd rather have Samuel over Grimes any day of the week.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:37 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5116
Image

:mrgreen:

Image :ninja:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:51 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26132
Location: North Carolina
So in your opinion fun gus, when the Seahawks gave DE Chris Clemons a 3-yr. $22 million extension last summer, that proved to be a bad investment because he didn't finish the season?

Never mind that Clemons was tied for 9th in the league in sacks last year, or 10th in QB hits. But he didn't finish the season so therefore that was a bad investment by the Seahawks.

Clay Matthews just got a 6-yr. $70 million from the Packers. If he's only as good as he was last year, then that too would be a terrible investment? Now, Matthews had 13 sacks last year and 27 QB hits, marks that ranked him in the Top 5 in both categories last year. But Matthews got hurt midway through last year, and if he was to have a repeat of that performance, that would be a bad investment because the Packers didn't get a complete season?

Clemons played a full regular season slate of games, just tore his ACL in the opening round of the playoffs, and arguably cost the Seahawks their chance of winning a Super Bowl. Matthews got hurt at midseason, missed 4 games but came back in time for the playoffs. And thus any argument that differentiates between their injuries and that of Grimes, then is an argument based around the timing of an injury which is a ridiculous argument.

Clemons got $10 million guaranteed as part of his deal, while Matthews got $30 million. Grimes only has $3 million of his $5.5 million total guaranteed on his deal in Miami. Meanwhile, a player like Kroy Biermann gets a 3-yr. $9 million deal with about $4.2 million in guaranteed money. Biermann plays every game for the Falcons, yet his 4 sacks and 12 QBHs rank tied for 83rd and 47th respectively. But he played a complete season, so does the fact that he made more than Grimes, but played at a much lower level equal out? Was he a good investment because he played a complete season? A player you yourself have called only "adequate" and "not an impact player."

I'm just trying to wrap my head around your argument/viewpoint. Does a player need to have a complete season to merit a return on his investment? Is it better to get an "adequate" player for a complete season, or an "excellent" player for only part of the season?

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:38 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5116
Pudge wrote:
I'm just trying to wrap my head around your argument/viewpoint. Does a player need to have a complete season to merit a return on his investment? Is it better to get an "adequate" player for a complete season, or an "excellent" player for only part of the season?



Pudge, this is what you are best at :wink: In all these scenarios, you have to have 'context'.

Comparing Brent Grimes, a smallish CB to Chris Clemons is a bit 'apples to oranges'. So is Kroy Biermann to Clay Matthews, etc.

Your argument is the Falcons would have been 'better off' outbidding Miami on a one year deal. Your quote "So you're saying that if Brent Grimes manages to only be EXCELLENT in 12 games this year for Miami, then it wasn't worth the Falcons to out-offer the Dolphins on a 1-yr, $5 million contract?"

What part wasn't clear? My point is TD looked at the entire Brent saga in context, and decided to go for 2 new unproven CB's in the draft, rather then keep Grimes. Your point is that was a mistake. I disgaree. Maybe TD and Smith dont think Brent can make a whole season, or play 'excellent'. Maybe he did not show them the adequate 'team spirit' they expect..I am inclined to agree with that assessment.

Brent wouldn't play here for less then 5 mil. IMO, he is not worth that much scratch. Now if he would take 2.5-3 mil, and still be a little cranky, fine. But he clearly did not want to be a Falcon. He stopped going to Flowery Branch and his wife was tweeting annoying tweets about her man not gettin his 'respect', right? Hey, go for it, then.

I will wager you he wont make a full 16 game season..And like I said, I bet him either playing hurt or being injured is going to help the Pats later in the season. This 'fully recovered' Brent Grimes is going to get injured again. And that prolly played a bigger role then his general bitchness. If he is kicking a$$ in week 15-16, I know you will remember this thread 8-) But if he's knocked out by the last three games, I will remember it too :ninja:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26132
Location: North Carolina
fun gus wrote:
My point is TD looked at the entire Brent saga in context, and decided to go for 2 new unproven CB's in the draft, rather then keep Grimes. Your point is that was a mistake. I disgaree. Maybe TD and Smith dont think Brent can make a whole season, or play 'excellent'. Maybe he did not show them the adequate 'team spirit' they expect..I am inclined to agree with that assessment.

No, my point is that Brent Grimes has a lot of good football left in him. And if the Dolphins get that out of him for a measly investment of $5 million, then TD and any of BG's detractors (such as yourself) really have no excuse for letting him walk for such a low price.

It's not apples and oranges. Your argument is basically is that Grimes performance in 2011 was subpar (and thus not worth $5 million investment) because he didn't play an entire season. And thus my point is does that also apply to other players? If that is true for Grimes, then it should be true for other really good players. IMO, Grimes performance in 2011 prior to his injury was at an elite level. At that same point, most would probably say that Clemons and Matthews were playing at an elite level prior to their injuries. Thus, does the same thing apply? Are they unworthy of large investments because of their injury concerns.

You may not be aware of the fact that Clay Matthews has NEVER started 16 games in his 4-year career. So if we're applying the same sort of logic, if Matthews doesn't play a full season in 2013, then the Packers made a bad investment. And unlike the Dolphins who invested only $5 million in Grimes, the Packers just invested a huge amount in Matthews.

But I think what really is the culprit here is your bias towards Grimes. You don't believe he was worth any significant investment, thus you are using his injury as the excuse for that.

I picked Matthews because there is near-universal agreement that he is a great player, but according to your "logic" his production in 2012 is negated by the fact that he did not have a complete season. But I'm betting you don't feel that way about Matthews. Thus indicating your bias, as DaveWaz suggested.

You're looking for a justification for not paying Grimes, a justification that would not apply anywhere else.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:38 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5116
Pudge wrote:
fun gus wrote:
My point is TD looked at the entire Brent saga in context, and decided to go for 2 new unproven CB's in the draft, rather then keep Grimes. Your point is that was a mistake. I disgaree. Maybe TD and Smith dont think Brent can make a whole season, or play 'excellent'. Maybe he did not show them the adequate 'team spirit' they expect..I am inclined to agree with that assessment.

No, my point is that Brent Grimes has a lot of good football left in him. And if the Dolphins get that out of him for a measly investment of $5 million, then TD and any of BG's detractors (such as yourself) really have no excuse for letting him walk for such a low price.


You're looking for a justification for not paying Grimes, a justification that would not apply anywhere else.



The only 'justification' I need is him sittin his bitch a$$ down. But you and I are 'on record' now, right?

Lets see how this plays out. I think he wont be worth the 'measly' 5 million dollar investment. You do. Lets watch and find out who is right. :whistle: :dance: :P

you better PRAY he doesnt get hurt in week 3. Because if that happens, watch out 8-)

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:13 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4760
I don't understand this? We had plenty of evidence that Grimes was ready to leave Atlanta; and evidence that Atlanta was ready to leave Grimes. (as much evidence that us
outsiders get)

So I hope both are happy and both do well next year, I believe Grimes thinks he's giving himself the best chance to come back; and Atlanta thinks its giving itself the best chance to move forward. I won't gloat if Grimes does poorly or blame the Falcons if Grimes does well.

When a Franchise pisses off a player or a player pisses off a franchise; then unless the player is an absolute Super Star then I think its best for both just to part ways.

I think Foxworth is a decent example, I believe he wanted to play in Baltimore but I'm not glad it didn't work out for him!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:55 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26132
Location: North Carolina
Barry Jackson wrote:
The Dolphins enter camp feeling much better about cornerback than they did at the close of last season. Nobody was more impressive this spring than newcomer Brent Grimes, who showed no ill effects from last September’s Achilles injury.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy
:whistle:

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:11 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5116
Grimes, 5-10, can compensate for his lack of height with impressive jumping ability. “I don’t look at corner as a big position,” he said. “I’m short, but I’m not 5-6!”

Image

:whistle:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:49 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6301
Location: Planet Claire
5'6" and a half? Hated to see him go but I think it was more money related than injury related.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:27 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 5116
backnblack wrote:
5'6" and a half? Hated to see him go but I think it was more money related than injury related.



classic lil man syndrome. Brent Grimes 'I am five foot ten" :lol: He might just as well have said 'I am six feet tall, and I graduated from 'Bama with a bachelors degree in clogging' :roll:

I agree with you money played a factor, but if Dave Archer could be believed, Grimes wasn't 'team' material after getting franchised. This FO and coaches and even ol' huckster Blank buy heavily into the 'team' concept. So IMO, money was a contibuting factor, but not solely the only factor ( cue Pudge' retort in three..two..one..).

This should be an interesting season. Miko in Miami? Sounds like a reality show in the making. I hope he can make it to game three on his 'fully healed' Achilles, because I don't want any excuses for what Julio, Roddy and Matt are gong to do to him. I think he is going to get abused, and then after the game, we will se him hugging all those above and Coach Smith.

But if this prediction is wrong, I am 'sure' I will be reminded of it :ninja:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:39 am 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 26132
Location: North Carolina
It had everything to do with $$$.

Dan Parr wrote:
We hear that Grimes, the team's top corner, is likely to price himself out of the team's range.

:roll:

Ryan Clady, Michael Johnson, Randy Starks, Anthony Spencer, and Jairus Byrd all tagged this off-season. All opted to skip minicamp and OTAs. Are they no longer "team material" because they didn't spend enough time around their respective teams during the off-season???

Besides Clady, pretty much all of them were told point blank that they weren't going to receive long-term deals from their respective teams. Their teams tagged them with little to no intention of giving them long-term deals. Don't they have the right to be upset over the fact that their teams potentially cost them millions of guaranteed $$$?

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:59 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4760
Pudge Wrote
Quote:

I apologize in advance for the condescension that is to come, but one of the biggest bones of contention I have with people on this board when we get into these tiffs is people's inability to put things into context. 1 bad performance will completely color an entire season's worth of 16 performances, or 2 seasons worth of 30+, or 5 seasons worth of 80+.


I apologize in advance for this----But I like and believe TV Guide more than Money ball. Just wanted to get that off my chest, I think many put things into context, but not your context. As for Brent Grimes he's a
big guess, nobody knows how he will play. Pudge I always appreciate your work on this site. You give lots of good insite too, but if money ball went down the tubes you'd be better off, your and everyone eye is as good as the crap money ball says; (With all due respect) and I never say that (:

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFR: Grimes "looking fully recovered from Achilles"
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:15 pm 
Offline
Playmaker
Playmaker

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:23 pm
Posts: 281
I am down here in Miami. Matter of fact I am only a couple of miles from the training complex. I should probably head over there.

Anyway, Grimes looks like he is getting back to his old self. Personally, I think Grimes would have been more valuable than Osi in Atl.

- For new Miami Dolphins cornerback Brent Grimes, September 9, 2012 carries significance. That was the last time Grimes played in an NFL game.

Grimes tore his Achilles in the regular-season opener with the Atlanta Falcons last year. His long road back to the field will be complete when Grimes plays for Miami Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys in the Hall of Fame Game.

Grimes will only play in a series or two with Miami's starting defense. But that doesn’t make Sunday's comeback any less significant after nearly a year on the shelf.

“Yeah, it’s cool because I was out and missed all of last year,” Grimes said. “I’ve been doing this (practice) but it’s not the same as actually going in a game. So it’s going to be fun, even though it’s going to be brief probably.”

Grimes, who signed a one-year, $5 million contract with Miami, has been one of the most consistent performers in Dolphins' training camp. Grimes is athletic, consistently around the football and projected to be Miami’s top cornerback in the regular season.

Miami’s pass defense was ranked 27th last year and very inconsistent. The Dolphins are counting on Grimes to stay healthy and add stability to this unit. Grimes has looked 100 percent in camp and has not had any setbacks with his Achilles injury.

“I’m feeling real good,” Grimes explained. “Any time you come into training camp, it’s about getting your timing down and getting back into football [shape]. You can run all offseason, but when you put the helmet and pads on, it’s a whole different kind of shape. I think I’m in a good spot right now.”

Grimes is expected to defend Miami’s best opposing receivers this year. The Cowboys have two good receivers coming to Canton, Ohio, this weekend in Dez Bryant and Miles Austin.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... -road-back


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: