It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pacific Rim
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:15 am 

I saw this movie about 3 days ago and just wanted to give my thoughts about it. Rent or see on big screen? It's worth seeing it on the big screen. The movie keeps you in suspense and rarely gets boring. Certainly a different take on the godzilla movies of the past. Seeing giant robots with humans in them to fight the reptiles gave the movie a bit of a different take. Check it out on the big screen if you can.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pacific Rim
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:09 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I saw it yesterday. I was a little underwhelmed. I thought all the robot fights were pretty good. All the parts where robots weren't fighting I think were a little dull, predictable, and cliched. That probably sounds worse than I mean, but I was neither engrossed in the story or characters.

But it's worth seeing for the action alone. And I think the visuals are really solid.

Director Guillermo del Toro has a ton of "nerd cred" but I think he's one of the more overrated directors working today. Of the 5 movies he's made over the past 15 years, the only one I've really enjoyed was Hellboy. Pan's Labryinth IMO was boring. Blade 2 was just a re-hash of Blade 1 with a bigger special effects budget. And Hellboy 2 sucked compared to the first one. I think he's very good with visuals, "world building" and the like, but in terms of telling a good story with interesting characters, he really struggles there.

But as for Pacific Rim, I do think most people will enjoy it and it's worth checking out on the big screen, so that one can really appreciate the robot fights, special effects, visuals, etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:00 am 

Movies I want to see before I have to head back to the ship mid August.

The Wolverine movie
Superman
New movie with Matt Damon ??
New movie with Denzel Washington,Mark Whalberg
Iron Man 3

I realize some of these movies have been out a long time but I haven't had a chance to see them. I'll let you know what I think when I see each of them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:50 pm 

Elysium and Wolverine are 2 movies I'm looking forward to.

Man of Steel and Iron Man 3, I saw both already. I know a lot of people were really impressed with the action in Man of Steel, but I wasn't. I thought the first half of the movie was the strongest part. I think the second half, once General Zod enters the picture, is all downhill. How that 2nd half of the movie plays out, IMO indicates that the filmmakers really didn't understand the sort of character that Superman is/was.

Iron Man 3 is OK. I think I went into it with higher expectations than I should. I hear really good things about it, and having liked both the previous Iron Man movies + The Avengers, and also being a big fan of the director Shane Black (he wrote the first 2 Lethal Weapon movies, and the highly underrated Last Action Hero and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang), was a perfect storm for me to be let down. It's not bad, but I think I went into it expecting to love it, which I did not.

I haven't seen 42, I'll check it out on DVD in the coming months.

As for the new Denzel/Marky Mark movie, I'm not that interested in it. I'm sort of getting tired of the Denzel teams up with a young hotshot white guy action movie. After Training Day, he's not going to top himself. Unstoppable and Safe House, weren't bad movies, but now I've just seen it done too much to care. And now after seeing Flight, seeing the Thespian Denzel that we know and love (which has been missing for a decade), I just wish he could diversify his portfolio a little more, take some more chances. Since Training Day, he's really only made 4 kinds of movies:

1. Ones he's directed where he is the mentor of a young black actor: Antwone Fisher,The Great Debaters.

2. Ones where he's sort of just your average guy/cop caught up in some thriller where the situation is too big for him: John Q, Out of Time, Manchurian Candidate, Inside Man, Deja Vu, Taking of Pelham 123

3. Ones where he's a bad-ass, and he's teamed up with some hotshot white guy: Unstopptable, Safe House, 2 Guns

4. Ones where he's just a bad-ass mostly doing his own thing: Man on Fire, American Gangster, Book of Eli

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:06 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pacific Rim : Independance Day with Transformers.

It's a total ripoff. Think about it ( I will try not to spoil it for Scout)

The scientists that just wanna 'understand' the monsters are just like the one's in I.D.

The 'leader' give a mighty speech and then......(leaving that part out )

The cliche'd personalities abound. Gee, the asian crew looks athletic, while the Russians look like Ivan Drago, and the Aussies are drunken louts. In I.D. Will Smith is slick, Jeff Goldblum is the atypical 'nerd', all the military guys all look straight out of central casting..

This movie is only good in IMAX. On a smaller screen, it's terrible.

This one will go down in history alongside 'Twister' and 'Independance Day' as good eye-candy movies, but absolutely awful dialogue, acting, and character development. :down:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:55 am 

Saw the movie 42 the true story of Jackie Robinson. Excellent movie one of the best of the year. I knew Robinson went through alot but what surprised me most about the film is the role Branch Rickey took.We all know what he did but how he handled the situation and why he made the decision he did besides money and winning. I don't want to give it away so go watch the movie.

Profile E-mail