Don't sleep on David Carr..
5 veteran QBs for the Falcons to consider
Posted: 12:57 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 1, 2013
By D. Orlando Ledbetter
FLOWERY BRANCH -- After the cut down to 75 players, the Falcons weren’t impressed with the talent pool on the streets.
However, with the teams cutting down to 53 players, there’s plenty to look at.
The Falcons are awfully young and inexperienced behind quarterback Matt Ryan. Dominique Davis, last season’s No. 3 quarterback, is the only other quarterback on the roster. He’s yet to take a snap in a regular season game and was solid, but not spectacular, during the exhibition season.
The pool of veteran quarterbacks is particularly weak because several teams are QB hoarders. Most teams (14) are carrying two quarterbacks. But the Raiders, Redskins and Jets are carrying four quarterbacks.
Here’s a list of the top five available veteran quarterbacks that were released in the cut down to 53 around the league.
1. Vince Young, 30, 6-5, 230: He was released by the Green Bay after not playing in 2012. He’s number one on this list because he’s the only quarterback on the streets with a winning record. He started 50 of his 60 NFL games and has a 31-19 record. Career passer rating: 74.4.
2. David Carr, 34, 6-3, 215: He played for Falcons offensive line coach Pat Hill at Fresno State. The former No. 1 overall pick has started 79 of his 9 4 NFL games, but hasn’t made a start since the 2007 season. He has a 23-56 record as a starter. Career passer rating: 74.9
3. Trent Edwards, 29, 6-4, 231: The former starter in Buffalo was trying to latch on with the Chicago Bears. He’s started 33 of his 38 NFL games and had a 14-19 record. Career passer rating: 75.5.
4. Matt Leinart, 30, 6-5, 225: He was trying to revive his career with Buffalo, but was unimpressive. He’s started 18 of 33 NFL games and has a 8-10 record. Career passer rating: 70.2.
5. Brady Quinn, 28, 6-4, 232: The Mighty Quinn was trying to make the Seattle roster after failed stops in Cleveland and Kansas City. He went 1-7 as a starter for the Chiefs last season. He’s started 20 of 24 career games and has a 4-16 record. Career passer rating: 64.4.
Here’s the list of all of the quarterbacks who were released in the cut down to 53 players from around the league:
Baltimore: QB Dayne Crist and QB Caleb Hanie.
Buffalo: QB Matt Leinart and QB Thad Lewis.
Carolina: QB Jimmy Clausen
Chicago: QB Trent Edwards and QB Jordan Palmer.
Cincinnati: QB John Skelton.
Dallas: QB Alex Tanney.
Green Bay: QB Vince Young.
Indianapolis: QB Chandler Harnish.
Jacksonville: QB Mike Kafka and QB Matt Scott.
Miami: QB Aaron Corp.
New England: QB Tim Tebow.
New Orleans: QB Ryan Griffin.
New York Giants: QB David Carr.
New York Jets: QB Greg McEloy.
Philadelphia: QB Dennis Dixon and QB G.J. Kinne.
San Francisco: QB Seneca Wallace.
Seattle: QB Brady Quinn.
St. Louis: QB Austin Davis,
Tennessee: QB Rusty Smith.