It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Could we go 2-6 over our last 8 games of this season?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Has anyone really looked hard at this end of our schedule? We get Seattle and New Orleans, [with Tampa and Buffalo thrown in there] then Rodgers/Green Bay, RGIII/Washington, Kaepernick/San Fran, and Cam/Carolina [the final three being those running QBs that seem to destroy us]. If we only manage 17 points against a devastated defense that was the worst in league history last year, AND we've managed to lose 6 games in a row [NFC Championship, all preseason, and now the opener] I'm really, really not feeling the love for what I'm seeing from this team.

I'm no doomsayer, but is anyone else starting to get nervous?

J. Mora JR.

Post subject: Re: Could we go 2-6 over our last 8 games of this season?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Nope, with Payton back the Saints are a top 10 team, and we were on the road with a real good chance to win. No way we go 13-3 but we'll still end up with a winning record.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

DaveWaz wrote:
Nope, with Payton back the Saints are a top 10 team, and we were on the road with a real good chance to win. No way we go 13-3 but we'll still end up with a winning record.

We go up against a lot of top 10 teams in this schedule and IMHO don't have the OL to stand up. For what it's worth, the DL didn't show a lot of pass rush against a good QB and OL. There are more of the same on the schedule.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The DL did a decent job of getting pressure. The secondary did a decent job of taking the WRs out of the game. The problem with our defense continues to be that our LBs cannot cover anyone. Dent is a huge weakness in the passing game. I can't begin to cover all of the issues he had today. Move Spoon or Nicolas to MLB and put Bartu on the other side.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

John O wrote:
DaveWaz wrote:

We go up against a lot of top 10 teams in this schedule and IMHO don't have the OL to stand up. For what it's worth, the DL didn't show a lot of pass rush against a good QB and OL. There are more of the same on the schedule.

We will go up against allot of top ten teams and we will win half those games, as we almost won today. We also rarely lose to teams worse than us, thus 10-6 seams about right.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:26 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think a lot also depends on Ryan staying healthy. If he keeps getting beat up, including BS late hits on a defenseless QB slide, then his timing and ability to perform will be compromised. That is a huge fear, because without him, we are looking quickly at the draft, and will be getting another O lineman.

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:16 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If Ryan misses significant time, I doubt that the offseason focus will be on the OL. It just never seems to be a priority to these guys. My money would be on a DE.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:14 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

RobertAP wrote:
The DL did a decent job of getting pressure. The secondary did a decent job of taking the WRs out of the game. The problem with our defense continues to be that our LBs cannot cover anyone. Dent is a huge weakness in the passing game. I can't begin to cover all of the issues he had today. Move Spoon or Nicolas to MLB and put Bartu on the other side.

You would think if you are going to leverage the seam against a WR with a LB you would either give Spoon the assignment or put Bartu or another S in the game. Dent seems to be better at sorting through the trash and getting stops in the run game but he just doesnt seem like he will ever be good in coverage.

Only putting up 17 points against the Saints is pretty embarrassing for the simple fact that if we dont win with our O we will not win many games. Hopefully the o-line can gel and they can get it together. If not there is no way we go on the road and win anywhere in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:38 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't agree that the Saints are a top 10 team..... We'll see in about 8 games; I thought we both looked slow but that's usually how you look when you can't run the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:44 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:
I don't agree that the Saints are a top 10 team..... We'll see in about 8 games; I thought we both looked slow but that's usually how you look when you can't run the ball.

Falcons couldn't run the ball today? I love to know what game you were watching. If anything they didn't run it enough.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:11 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Emmitt wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Falcons couldn't run the ball today? I love to know what game you were watching. If anything they didn't run it enough.

Yeah, I would love to know why we abandoned the run. Jackson averaged 7 yards per carry on 11 tries.

We had WAY too many 3 and outs today. But again, offensive line simply wasn't doing its job in the passing game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge's thoughts on the running game

Quote:
RobertAP wrote:
When we consider the entire game, we had an RB who averaged 7 yards per carry, but only ran the ball 11 times.

Outside his 50-yard run, Jackson averaged 2.7 yards on 10 carries. He was only successful on 4 of 11 runs, about 36% which is well below where you want him to be (45% or above).

Now I don't blame Jackson one bit.... I guess Pudge and I were watching the same game for once (: The offensive line just didn't give him anything, I didn't imply the sky is falling either, but some here are sounding the way Holmes was Sounding.....

"No Problem " ??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:08 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

RobertAP wrote:
Emmitt wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Yeah, I would love to know why we abandoned the run. Jackson averaged 7 yards per carry on 11 tries.

We had WAY too many 3 and outs today. But again, offensive line simply wasn't doing its job in the passing game.

I do agree we did not balance the offense enough with running but that stat line is misleading when you consider he got 50 something on one carry. Oddly enough, I think Adrian Peterson had a 78 yard carry and then an under 2 YPC for the rest of the game...something crazy like that. I'll be honest, I've never been a Steven Jackson fan though he is clearly an upgrade from the Turner of last year. But we aren't going to get on his back and ride to wins. That's for sure.