It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Most HERE thought Andy Reid a less than average Coach!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:56 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Maybe he won't win another game this year but Andy Reid got a team that won 2 games last year to already win three games this year.

When Coach Dirk Koetter said the reasons were the parity of the NFL is why The Falcons didn't put teams away then we heard that in these first two weeks 21 of 32
games was decided by less than 7 points it doesn't make Coach Koetter look like such a turd.

So I want to revisit my truth about NFL football THAT FEW TEAMS WIN A SUPER BOWL IN A LIFETIME!! We should think a playoff game is like going to heaven, and if we go to a Super Bowl you've reached it.

I can tell you from experience that I'd rather be in 6 playoff hunts than one Super Bowl; its all the same but one team wins in the end.

Please don't say nobody called Andy REID A BAD COACH though he had a flawed Qb in McNabb. We'll see how many fans stay Falcon fans this season; it doesn't take a lot to turn fans against a losing team although we're 1-1.

I hate to say it but I was kinda (just a little) hoping for this; (and I saw this as a down year for a lot of reason's) because I'm so sick of the Super Bowl or Bust thinking because the truth is we might hit in 30 more years or perhaps less. An educated fan about going to the Super Bowl is a more grateful fan; and that's the end of this story.

Post subject: Re: Most HERE thought Andy Reid a less than average Coach!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:25 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Well they said it during last night's broadcast. The Chiefs were bound to turn things around just from the lack of turnovers alone. They were -24 in turnover margin last year, worst int he league. They turned the ball over 29 times in the first 9 games. The Falcons turned the ball over 22 times all year (playoffs included). Law of averages said that they wouldn't/couldn't turn the ball over 37 times again this year (league average was 25 last year), so that alone would probably add at least 2 or 3 wins to their total.

I still don't think Andy Reid is as good a coach as his reputation suggests he is, but he's still a good coach. I just don't think he belongs in the Top 10 anymore. Although he certainly would still be in the Top 15.

As I said last winter, I think 3 or 4 years from now we're going to look back at the 2012 season and see that as the best chance we had since '98 to go to the Super Bowl. We blew that opportunity, and as I believed 8 months ago, there was a very good chance that it would be 5+ years before we ever got an opportunity like that again. As I said in another thread, Cyril you grasp this concept better than most because of your extensive experience watching the ups and downs of the Falcons and the league as a whole, and my own because of my degree in history. Look, when I say that since 1998, only 1 team has ever made the playoffs 6 years in a row (Manning-led Colts), to most that may seem like an arbitrary number/stat, but IMO it is very meaningful.

We always talk about windows, and having a franchise QB gives you a long window. It does. Brett Favre had only 1 losing season during the 16 years he was in Green Bay. But that doesn't mean that they were a Super Bowl contender year in and year out. Most of those years they were a 9-7 team grasping for a wildcard spot. Other years, they were a 10 or 11-win team that was the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference. There were probably only 4 or 5 years where they truly were a Super Bowl team, and they happened to make it 2 of those years. And it's interesting that most of the years came when they had Reggie White on defense. And after he retired in 1998, that 2007 might have been the only real good shot they had. Maybe in 2001, but that happened to be the year that the Rams were still the greatest show on turf and they crushed them in the 2nd round of the playoffs 45-17. Maybe again in 2003, but the Eagles converted a 4th & 26 to send the game into OT and Favre threw a pick in OT in Round 2. Maybe they would've beaten Jake Delhomme & the Panthers the following week in Carolina and played the Patriots in the Super Bowl...Who knows?

I'm not going to write off this year's team, although the writing is on the wall. But you never know, maybe the Falcons running game gets its act together over the final months. Maybe the OL improves enough to be competent by year's end. And maybe Asante Samuel and Roddy White play out of their minds when they get back into the lineup. And Ryan and Julio are like Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald were in 2008 playoffs, and the Falcons as a wildcard team shock a couple of teams and make a run. Maybe we suffer from the injury bug like the 2010 Packers, and it just makes Ryan that much better.

But I doubt all that happens, because I doubt Ryan can be better than he was last year. Just like I've doubted all along that the Falcons were ever a Super Bowl team. Until the NFC Championship game last year, I never thought the Falcons had a shot at the Super Bowl since 2004. The 49ers were a much better team, and the only way the Falcons could beat them is by getting up early and outlasting them. They got up early, but couldn't outlast them because they had an atrocious running game, no pass rush, couldn't cover any of their WR/TEs, and got dominated by the 49ers running game.

And that scenario was unlikely to happen again. More than likely those same flaws of this team would lead to them having a much earlier exit in the playoffs. People think that this team's 1 & done status over the years makes them underachievers in January. But what people don't realize is that they are in fact overachievers from September thru December, and that gets exposed in January more often than not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think the big difference between this year and last year is that this year, we have a lot more young players starting. The hope is that by year's end, those raw players will become NFL professionals and they will allow Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Tony Gonzalez, Roddy White, and Steven Jackson to do what they need to do. The reason that I look at this year as having potential is because of the mix of young and old that we have. If the young guys are able to get their act together and the old guys are able to keep their level of play up, this could be a magical year. After this year, I expect Tony G to be gone, I expect Steven Jackson to bottom out, I expect Roddy to start slowing down, and I expect a lot of our defensive leaders to start pittering out. (Babineaux, Umenyiora, Samuel) After this year, I expect things to go south pretty quickly.

That said, some of the young players have stepped up already. Trufant, Alford, Konz, and Bartu have make significant strides. Reynolds has been a bit of a surprise for me. Hopefully Holmes will start playing better. Toilolo finally got a catch against the Rams. Perhaps he will start getting more involved. Massaquoi has been looking decent. He will get plenty of opportunities to show what he's got with Biermann out of the lineup. Perhaps one of our DE draftees will show something as well.

The way I see it, we have 3 months to get these guys playing good football. All we have to do in the mean time is win enough games to get into the playoffs. I certainly think that's possible, even with all of the early injuries. Again, in some ways, I think that the injuries on the defensive side of the ball benefit us. If ever there was a year where the Falcons needed time, "to gel," this is that year. So I'm still holding out hope that this could be a magical year... The young guys need some time to develop and find their place among all of our star talent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:00 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

You touch on a great point when you talk about the need to have a mix of young and old. I have hope for this year as well because we do not know what we have yet.

I know that goes against any logic. There is not a coach out there that would pick to have unknown commodities within their key players, but most studs, and I think the history proves this out come from places not predicted based solely off the draft.

For all the 1st round picks that make it, we know what to expect from them. The Roddy, Ryan, Julio, Wetherspoon, TG of the world. Every team has them. The teams that seem to get ahead are the teams that get really good production /studs from other places. It is when the mid/low round pick turns into a player. The Jessie Tuggle, Tom Brady, Jared Allen, Robert Mathis types show up all the time. Guys who are picked after the top three rounds and they become the cornerstones of a team. Why could that not happen this time.

I know the draftnics of the world will explain it down to the same reason they were not selected higher, but sometimes there is phyiscal ability that exceeds the draft. I see a few of our guys like that...

I think a couple of the following could become really good players (above average) if they are willing to be the man and given the opportunity.

Goodman, Massaquoi, Bartu

If we could get a DE and a LB to step up, it would change our present and future.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:07 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Don't forget they got rid of that piss poor G.M. from the Patroits (Thomas D's old boss)......

I think Andy Reid is a playoff coach getting teams to the playoffs that otherwise wouldn't get their. The move from Philly must be great just to get away from the thoughts of where his son died; and just a new start. He'll have an offense around that fairly average qb, and I think Coaches can stress turnovers and penalities; not stop them but make them a team priority.

I won't argue where he should be ranked, any coach that can stay somewhere 10 years and get another job the next year must be doing something right.

I know a past Eagle player that says he sleeps in the building--That's a little much for me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:19 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pudge,
I would be curious who is in your top ten if Reid isn't. I think you could maybe make a case for 8 in the NFC and 4 in the AFC. Here are the 12 I have come up with:

Coughlin
Shanny
Payton
Smith
Carroll
Fisher
McCarthy
Harbaughs
Bellichick
Tomlin
Fox

I don't want to hear anything from the peanut gallery about Smith. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:38 am 

In no particular order:

Belichick
Harbaugh 1
Harbaugh 2
Coughlin
Smitty
Tomlin
Shanahan
McCarthy
Fisher
Fox
Payton
Marvin Lewis

I'd probably put Reid next. It's probably splitting hairs because there's probably 3 or 4 guys on that list that he's only degrees behind. Probably 5 years ago, Reid would have ranked potentially in the Top 5 coaches in the league. I think there are a lot of people that believe he's still that caliber of coach, but I don't think he is. Just too much underachieving by the Eagles over the past 5 years to give him that benefit of the doubt anymore.

He's off to a good start in KC, and if the Chiefs do wind up getting to double digit wins this year and make the playoffs (I projected them to be more like a 7 or 8-win team), then my argument will have much less firm footing to stand on. :so:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:25 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't understand Marvin Lewis, he's only had 4 winning season's and lost all 4
of his playoff games.

I'm not crazy about Jeff Fisher either but he did lose in a SuperBowl, BUT he's had a lot of down years.

Andy Reid won more (I think) and has more playoff wins.

Ok you said you were spliting hairs; so their's no problem with your picks. I've just been an Andy Reid fan for awhile, although I hated the Eagles.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:13 pm 

Cyril wrote:
I don't understand Marvin Lewis, he's only had 4 winning season's and lost all 4
of his playoff games.

I'm not crazy about Jeff Fisher either but he did lose in a SuperBowl, BUT he's had a lot of down years.

Andy Reid won more (I think) and has more playoff wins.

Ok you said you were spliting hairs; so their's no problem with your picks. I've just been an Andy Reid fan for awhile, although I hated the Eagles.

I'm not considering their entire resumes Cyril. I'm really only looking at the last 5 or 6 years when I'm making that list. And I think the last 5 years of Reid's tenure, he's been nothing special. Not since 2008 were the Eagles really a contender. They were somewhat scary in 2010 (as I considered them better than us at the time), but they just really fell apart in 2011 and 2012, and I have to dock Reid quite a bit for that.

Since 2009, the Bengals have won 33 games under Lewis. The Eagles won 34 under Reid. The Bengals went to the playoffs 3 times, while the Eagles only twice.

But to be honest, I was a bit reluctant to include Lewis on that list, but it was the much greater success Cincy has had the past 2 years over Philly that pushed me to do it.

Profile E-mail