It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Killer Instinct
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I've been one of the ones to bring this up in the past. Today, we dominated time of possession. We won the sack game. We won the rushing game. Yet, this game goes in the loss column. If ever there was an example of a lack of killer instinct, this is it.

Going back to the playoffs last year, the Falcons have blown half time leads in 4 of the last 5 games. In those 5 games, we have been outscored in the second half of each of those games, with opponents scoring an average of 18 points in the second half, and us scoring 6.8 points in the second half. Essentially, we're being outscored 3 to 1 in the second half in our past 5 games.

I believe that Mike Smith has lost this team. 5 games in a row is a significant trend. This team simply is not finishing anymore.

Post subject: Re: Killer Instinct
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:52 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Your not giving enough credit to the fact that we go out and get leads better than any other team in football. Our staff isn't the best in history but they are doing a good job with the talent we have.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:18 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Robert Wrote
Quote:
If ever there was an example of a lack of killer instinct, this is it.

Maybe we can agree on this!! I believe most all your beefs about killer instinct is wrong; but in previous years we played good when we had to!! In other words you would say it seems like we just sit around THEN IF WE NEED TO we score. That to me as as much as a killer instinct as you get.....you just have to accept that all teams draft from the same pool, we all have the same amount of cap, so it just seems like we take time off when we're really fighting for our lives.

That takes a big Defensive sack; a big offensive play, or not fumbling a punt at the worst time possible. We've gotten away with average lines for a long time..... This year may change that for the rest Of Thomas D.'s career.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:35 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I meant to say I don't think Coach Smith thinks about 40 points either.

He'd rather keep the ball 40 minutes and let opponents keep it 20. That will win you a lot of games; in fact if we had those Turner years with Matt Ryan now; we might have gone deep into playoffs.

That's why I'm not too bumbed right now; we get a good running back, teach these guys how to block like today and shore up the pass rush and we're right back again,
except this time with a big time Qb. I respect the coaches not asking Ryan to not make too many deep drops right now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:18 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
Essentially, we're being outscored 3 to 1 in the second half in our past 5 games.

I believe that Mike Smith has lost this team. 5 games in a row is a significant trend. This team simply is not finishing anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:20 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Let me just go back and say it again, we were in perfect position to win at Smitty ball yesterday. If Matt Bryant hits that field goal, we're up by six. That puts more pressure on Miami to get down the field and score a TD. If they do manage to score that TD, all we need to do is get into field goal range and Matt has yet another come from behind win under his belt. And maybe, if Miami does drive the ball down the field, Smitty doesn't sit on his timeouts, and Matt ends up with more than just 37 seconds at the end. But the combination of Bryant's miss + Smith's horrible clock management cost us the opportunity to win.

There were several other areas in which we failed on Sunday, but in crunch time, that's what killed us. Going 80 yards in 37 seconds is a massive mountain to climb.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:49 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

And as I've said 1000 times, saying that this team is losing because they lack killer instinct is lazy and ignorant.

The Falcons lack killer instinct because they had 3 scoring opportunities in the red zone that they came away with 6 points rather than 21?

WTF is killer instinct? Is it simply just the easy and catch-all phrase of defining why certain players/team make the plays that win the games and certain players/teams that do not?

Was it because he lacks killer instinct that Harry Douglas fumbled on his punt return because Don Jones hit him hard? Does that mean that Don Jones has killer instinct?

Is it a lack of killer instinct that caused the Falcons to have a 3 & out following Willy Mo's INT? So does Reshad Jones have killer instinct because he knocked that sideline throw on 2nd down of that drive out of Julio's hands before he could secure it? Was it lack of killer instinct that compelled Matt Ryan to look at Harry Douglas on the 3rd down play rather than Tony Gonzalez?

I just don't understand this. To me it's the same thing as 10,000 years ago when a father and son were fishing in a river to get food for their tribe/village, the son asks, "Daddy, why does the wind blow?" And the father answers, "Son, because the mighty Wind God wills it." :beef:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:21 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Robert :The only killer instinct in football or any sport is a team with better players
who can take advantage of most situations..... After all your tries you still have not made anything sound like a killer instinct. We've all mostly been Falcon Fans a long time. Have the Falcons ever had a killer instinct??

All Falcon teams have played four quarters; but like all NFL teams they haven't always played 4 good quarters??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:35 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I would actually ascribe HD's handling of that punt as a possible attempt at "killer instinct" which translates into gambling and winning said gamble when you don't really have to and, yeah, having better players usually helps you win these bets and, yes, actually the wind does blow because the Mighty Wind God wills it to. What else could it be? I agree that saying a team lacks killer instinct is a sort of lazy approach but I do what he is saying and sometimes it may seem true with ATL when they seem to take their foot of the gas and focus more on running off clock that hanging up points but then there are other games where I wish they would have burned clock rather than have a couple quick three and outs and let the other team back in it. Was it versus Rams or Saints where we took a shot deep and missed after we had just scored. Had that succeeded, yeah, that would have been termed killer instinct. I've known plenty of lap dogs that had killer instinct but their ass just couldn't cash the check their mouth wrote so, as CF says, better players = killer instinct. Teacup poodle with killer instinct versus pit bull = one in the loss column for poodle.